British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

10 minutes ago, Hot Shoe said:

If speedway's decline is down to the 'new bikes' then it's amazing that the sport has continued for 25 years since the introduction of the 'new bikes'.

I think you need to look a little deeper to understand why it has declined.

Each fan that's been lost has their own reasons for stopping going. Speedway has changed even in the last 25 years, and it seems a totally different sport to the early 90s. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Each fan that's been lost has their own reasons for stopping going. Speedway has changed even in the last 25 years, and it seems a totally different sport to the early 90s. 

I totally agree that speedway has changed but then so do we as humans. We don't all like now what we liked in the 90s.

All sports lose fans for various reasons but speedways problem is that they haven't been replaced by new fans coming into the sport.

59 minutes ago, Hot Shoe said:

speedways problem is that they haven't been replaced by new fans coming into the sport.

Apart from the mid-60s to mid-70s, speedway has continuously lost fans that it hasn't replaced. In 2018 it is at its lowest ebb since the 50s. Worrying.

whats the heirarchy (sp) of the sport? Is it the ACU who is ultimately in charge? This business of a group of promoters running the sport is not working - all out for their own businesses (understandably) but not really ideal for managing the big picture.

Until we have someone who can crack the whip for the overall good there won't be survival. Someone needs to say - this is the way it is and if you can't operate within that - tata.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Well, what you do there, instead of standing on the terraces with a face like thunder, like when hearing Mike Ashley isn't selling up, contact your speedway club and volunteer to write a page or two in the matchday programme. Spend thousands of pounds on research material so you can provide fans with a few facts, keep all your statistics up to date so you can be on the ball with what you write, put aside a couple or few hours to get it all down in writing. It is quite easy.

In fact, for a few months, you'll enjoy doing it for free. You get your name in the programme, you know. Then, the novelty will wear off. But let us know how you fair after the first five years or so, see if you still have the inspiration to do it for Jack-all without quitting. I did it for 18 years. Without a complimentary ticket, I'd have done possibly a third of that. You need something to keep you motivated. It's like asking riders to ride for nowt. 

Go on, email Newcastle and ask them. I am sure they'll keep you in mind. Let us know how you get on.

But, if you're successful, please don't mention to any of the track staff that you feel they are on freebies, getting in for nothing despite all the hours they contribute. All they'll do is hand you a shovel and say "get stuck in then." Then you'll have no time to do your programme piece. You'll have a face like thunder then, and for a reason. It is people doing it for a complimentary ticket that helps what is basically an amateur sport tick along.

And, reading between the lines, excuse if I misread, fellow poster Daniel Smith has worked within a club - would he be one of these freeloaders, Tsunami? Your face of anger went to one of embarrassment when he disagreed with you.

Anyway, I won't keep you any longer.

And don't forget, tell Newcastle speedway you're offering to do it for free. You'll still pay at the gate. 

If they turn you down, don't call them "tosser." I can take it, don't know about the fragile geordies.

And the award for the most convoluted and unconnected dribble as to why moxey needs to admit to being a speedway scounger.:nono:

BTW, a freeloader in my terms is someone attending a speedway meeting and contributing nothing for the club, whilst others have to pay to get in. As opposed to track staff such as sheeters, flag men, pushers, programme contributors, officials, team managers, etc., earning their right to get in for free. In your case you started in example 2, but wanted to be in example 1, but because you cant, you attack the sport at every opportunity as if trying to help.

How's the digging going, looks very active from here. :approve:   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tsunami said:

BTW, a freeloader in my terms is someone attending a speedway meeting and contributing nothing for the club, whilst others have to pay to get in. As opposed to track staff such as sheeters, flag men, pushers, *programme contributors*, officials, team managers, etc., earning their right to get in for free. In your case you started in example 2, but wanted to be in example 1, but because you cant, you attack the sport at every opportunity as if trying to help.

How's the digging going, looks very active from here. :approve:   

I was a programme contributor. You mentioned in your list(above) - highlighted in colours - you included them as having a right to get in for free as they contribute something to the club. Therefore you agree I was not a freeloader, not that I'm bothered what you think. I watched for free (I contributed to the programme). Your argument is being split to suit your point.

There is nothing more I can say. I see your point as just a personal attack on someone who criticises something you like. 

Seriously, other people are reading these comments and thinking "what the f***."

Just keep to the topic. 

Edited by moxey63

On the subject of programme contributors ?; having done this myself for a number of years; including once ending up the editor by default; it is an extremely time consuming thing to get involved in. For my part; I was effectively a member of staff; so was allocated a staff pass; I would have willingly paid to go in; but it might have been a bit mean on the management's part not to recognise my considerable efforts at the time. The reality is that it is very likely to be a supporter who will have the depth of detail and interest that it takes to put together a Speedway programme. Very often I found the people running it and taking part are consumed by their day to day involvement to be interested in how many appearances Bent Handlebar made for the club; his race statistics and CMA.

But putting that aside; after yet another rider crashing out with very serious injuries (Lewis Kerr at Lynn last night ). Get well soon Lewi !

Plus the Rye House shambles coming this week.

I'm calling for an INDEPENDANT ENQUIRY INTO THE SAFETY RECORD OF SPEEDWAY and while we're at it a 2nd INDEPENDANT ENQUIRY TO REVIEW THE OPERATIONS OF SPEEDWAY AND SECURING A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE FOR THE SPORT !

• Like 1

Start with a top league of 6 clubs.(Super Six)

Glasgow, Belle Vue, Sheffield, Wolverhampton, Ipswich, Poole.

These are a combo of big cities, and well-established Speedway venues. It runs on Thursdays ONLY. Each team plays the other once home and once away. Grand 2-legged final between top two sides. Five-man teams, with a No.6 rider who can be brought in as a substitute either tactically or injury replacement.

Below this level, a national competition having no race night restrictions, with the Super Six clubs also eligible to take part. This could possibly be organised on a split north/south sections basis.

• Sad 1

The decline has been going on for 70 years and seemingly no-one at management level has the slightest interest in reversing this trend. 

IMG_5671.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TesarRacing said:

The decline has been going on for 70 years and seemingly no-one at management level has the slightest interest in reversing this trend. 

IMG_5671.jpg

The decline in those days would be say 5000 less attending each meeting than last season.

Crowds were still huge but entrance was cheap and the government took 50% in entertainment tax - the real killer then.

• Like 2

It's time for the annual reorganisation of our favourite sport. I think it's obvious that the two leagues now have to merge. Make it a 16 team premier league initially, with the rest in the national league. 16 teams makes it easy to run subsidiary comps like a league cup ,  a knockout cup and a fours comp. Start the league comp in the 3rd week of May with every team racing one home and one away each week and ending in September.Prior to this date ,and after the subsidiary comps can be raced. For next season lower the points limit until teams are settled and it can be amended in the following years. Limit the scourge of guests to only the injured no 1 rider, no one else and further limit it to a guest can only be used ,say ,6  times in the league season otherwise use a new system of r/r. Bring back the old 13 heat formula and start a second half regionalised reserve league to bring on New riders. To make races more exciting,which after all is what we pay our money for, handicap the heat leaders to give the lesser riders a chance to shine. Well  thats my 10 pence worth.

Forgot, speed way has to advertise, no business can survive if people don't know it exists.

In following years the 2nd tier championship league can be revived

Simplest.

46 minutes ago, Thornaby48 said:

It's time for the annual reorganisation of our favourite sport. I think it's obvious that the two leagues now have to merge. Make it a 16 team premier league initially, with the rest in the national league. 16 teams makes it easy to run subsidiary comps like a league cup ,  a knockout cup and a fours comp. Start the league comp in the 3rd week of May with every team racing one home and one away each week and ending in September.Prior to this date ,and after the subsidiary comps can be raced. For next season lower the points limit until teams are settled and it can be amended in the following years. Limit the scourge of guests to only the injured no 1 rider, no one else and further limit it to a guest can only be used ,say ,6  times in the league season otherwise use a new system of r/r. Bring back the old 13 heat formula and start a second half regionalised reserve league to bring on New riders. To make races more exciting,which after all is what we pay our money for, handicap the heat leaders to give the lesser riders a chance to shine. Well  thats my 10 pence worth.

Forgot, speed way has to advertise, no business can survive if people don't know it exists.

In following years the 2nd tier championship league can be revived

Simplest.

trouble is you haven't addressed the 64000 dollar question - at what standard? It has to be viable for Redcar, Workington, etc as well as Poole, Swindon, whoever.

The former teams would go bust if its too strong and the latter group would go do lally if they had to weaken.

this is why an independent body has to make decisions based on hard headed economics for survival and a plan going forward for growth

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, Daniel Smith said:

You can't go around blaming freeloaders for the sports decline. You don't like money and that's fine but back then the sport could afford the freeloaders. 

The issues are the paying customers are disappearing. Surely you ain't putting the sports decline on the fans??

As a man who has and maybe still do, work within a club, what do you generally put the lack of fans down too????

The only answer is poor management from the BSPA. If you believe that not to be the case we wait with open ears.

As a recent walk away fan (and I've had some pop's at money too in the past) some of the stuff he posted I can now understand as an outsider. It doesn't and shouldn't stop us from having an opinion as at the end of the day I still love Speedway. All I enjoy now though is the SGP's, World Cups and Ekstraliga. British Speedway just looks amateur, with no value for money for it's supporters. 

They certainly don't do the sport any favours and Tsunami is right, they are despised by the paying fan. 

With regard to the BSPA, if you are referring to the management committee alone that is harsh. Individual promotions must take some of the blame, because it is they who are responsible for what happens at their tracks. 

The problem I have with Moxey's posts is that he is someone who is fully aware of speedway but doesn't go, wouldn't go if it was free and doesn't even watch it on a cable channel that he is paying for.

Given that he has no intention of going at all and has no idea whether it is good value or not why on earth should we consider that his opinion has any degree of credibility whatsoever ? 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The current premier league has to weaken if they want to survive ,with only 7 teams now it cannot be  a viable attraction to new and old supporters.

someone's posted on FB that Lakeside are shutting - apparently Southend Echo running the story but i couldn't see it