British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

8 minutes ago, ch958 said:

as usual - nail on the head - 90 pc of fans don't know or care about the engines. Probably uniquely in motorsport

I don't know about that. I like Moto GP and World Superbike Racing, but the engines used in speedway are much much simpler. I don't have much idea about the techi stuff used in Moto GP and WSK, but love the racing. What makes speedway unique, is that the old boys watching speedway, who used to ride a road motorbike with a pre-unit gearbox and a single cylinder, will relate to speedway, as that is much like today's speedway set-up!  

You all know how the country felt after the football on Wednesday, well that’s how I feel about the way british speedway is being run, my sport, my life and it bloody hurts 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You all know how the country felt after the football on Wednesday, well that’s how I feel about the way british speedway is being run, my sport, my life and it bloody hurts 

Do you know, Dean, I think my current stance of British speedway is a result of all the stuff I've witnessed over the decades. But we are not like the thousands of others that just gave up altogether... yet. Sad thing is, in a few years we may not have the choice of whether to stop going or not, as it won't be there to go to. 

Edited by moxey63

Finally, the  SS is starting to raise the awkward questions and their opening piece this week is excellent, some great suggestions for people to ask for help.  I am also astonished the BSPA kicked out Rye House given they had a package to carry on and pay off all debts - smacks of a conspiracy to me.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 9:04 PM, SPEEDY69 said:

Finally, the  SS is starting to raise the awkward questions and their opening piece this week is excellent, some great suggestions for people to ask for help.  I am also astonished the BSPA kicked out Rye House given they had a package to carry on and pay off all debts - smacks of a conspiracy to me.

Or not convinced it would happen. In that case why make the situation worse whilst making the debts bigger.

A quick Google search "speedway action groups" came up with no results except for individual club groups. Are there no national groups dedicated to sharing such things as ideas on how to get more people through the turnstiles to putting pressure on the powers that be through sheer weight of numbers.  It is understandable  and justified to air individual thoughts on forums such as this but would a national group of supporters with its own website etc carry more weight? Maybe a crazy idea, its just a thought!

Ronnie Russell sums the sport up nicely in this weeks SS is complaining about lack of fixtures at Swindon due to Teams refusing dates because of missing riders(quite rightly)but then sums it up by saying Teams can expect no favours from him regarding fixtures in future.! Usual self interest among the people running the sport IMO .Some body in charge has to get a grip of fixture list and tell them to get on with it.Promotions picked the riders they wanted to ride for them!! If the go missing tough!

Swindon have gone from one meeting in a month, which was Away, to four meetings in nine days! Lunacy. 

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Ronnie Russell sums the sport up nicely in this weeks SS is complaining about lack of fixtures at Swindon due to Teams refusing dates because of missing riders(quite rightly)but then sums it up by saying Teams can expect no favours from him regarding fixtures in future.! Usual self interest among the people running the sport IMO .Some body in charge has to get a grip of fixture list and tell them to get on with it.Promotions picked the riders they wanted to ride for them!! If the go missing tough!

How can the people at the top deal with this, they are the ones refusing fixtures!

16 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

How can the people at the top deal with this, they are the ones refusing fixtures!

It's all about self interest,no co- operation.Its just a circus now.As everyone is saying the sport needs Independant people in charge,but that will never happen.

24 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It's all about self interest,no co- operation.Its just a circus now.As everyone is saying the sport needs Independant people in charge,but that will never happen.

So as I suggested in an earlier post why not a pressure group of supporters country wide speaking with one voice?

10 minutes ago, Skid Sprocket said:

So as I suggested in an earlier post why not a pressure group of supporters country wide speaking with one voice?

Do you really think the Speedway Hierarchy would even listen,doubt it it's their ball.! This forum is just for moaners and gripers according to some.!

• Like 1

As I have said numerous times, a loss of support on the terraces usually means the loyal fans who still attend pay more at the gate. That's how the promoters seem to look at the sport's long-term strategy. 

34 minutes ago, Skid Sprocket said:

I am willing to give it a try to get people together if there are others interested in trying to set up something.

1 minute ago, waytogo28 said:

I am willing to give it a try to get people together if there are others interested in trying to set up something.

Thats more like it, positive thinking, whats to lose? I'll sign up for one.