British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

38 minutes ago, Thornaby48 said:

The 3 local teams I mentioned would be made up of Red car riders just for that night, so Stockton could be the Anderson bros., Red car could be Ben Barker and sayTobias Busch and Middlesbrough could be Dimitri Bergen and say Thomas Jorgansen, just throwing names about there. Then pairs could be invited from Berwick, Newcastle and Workington.I know that this is a pairs meeting with pairs meeting each other once  but I think that this might be more attractive than an individual meeting.

Certainly a new approach. Can I ask why you write Redcar with a space (Red car)?

16 hours ago, Bryce said:

Regarding surveying fans at meetings, I am almost certain that permission for such a thing would not be given at Lakeside. Jon Cook's attitude has always been that fans with an opinion are a pain in the behind. The club has been better than many at tweeting and updating the website, but hardly earth shatteringly impressive. These mediums are of course for telling us what they want us to know. They are not for us mere paying customers to express an opinion. The club did have a quite lively official fans forum, until Mr Cook got annoyed at the notion of it being used to criticize the club and closed it down. The bottom line is that the members of the BSPA do not want to hear from us the fans. Their attitude is we should be quiet and be grateful for whatever they serve up to us.

...during Steve and Vanessa Purchase's  tenure at Cowley we were very fortunate in that they were very pro-fan orientated. In fact I was once invited to a pre-seaon discussion with Steve and a number of others due to my contributions on the old Oxford Speedway Forum ( which incidentally Steve Shovlar used to frequent spouting his usual rubbish even back then and was invariably told to p**s off by many of us!) 

its about 3 metres from Middlesbrough! Had to call it Redcar tho. 

Sorry i find the idea of the pairs gimmicky

Gimmicks are one of the things that have dragged us down.

Its a sport, a team sport, and i would prefer that to be the focus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

Yes the Bears are Redcar because the track is on land owned by Redcar and Cleveland council, I was querying why Thornaby48 wrote Red car with a space.

11 hours ago, Skid Sprocket said:

Certainly a new approach. Can I ask why you write Redcar with a space (Red car)?

I am not up with modern technology so am at the mercy of the tablet, or what ever it's called.

On 7/9/2018 at 4:08 AM, iris123 said:

Well I saw they were packing out arenas with people watching others play video games and now a couple of days ago whilst going through the channels I caught a bit of the Drone Champions League,where people race drones through a course set out through bouncy castle type obstacles

See there is a big meeting today to discuss the inclusion of esports(video games etc) in the Olympics!!!!!No wonder the Premier League had a summit last season to discuss the future competition for youngsters attention/participation from the So-called esports.

Would Speedway be better concentrating on forming an esport speedway league?No noise,no emissions,no problem with weather or stadiums etc and could then possibly enter the Olympics and extend the interest around the world

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

See there is a big meeting today to discuss the inclusion of esports(video games etc) in the Olympics!!!!!No wonder the Premier League had a summit last season to discuss the future competition for youngsters attention/participation from the So-called esports.

Would Speedway be better concentrating on forming an esport speedway league?No noise,no emissions,no problem with weather or stadiums etc and could then possibly enter the Olympics and extend the interest around the world

YES! And please don't let it be under the control of BSPA / SCB.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ch958 said:

Yes I agree it is gimmicky but it is a one off meeting and if the gimmick caught the attention and curiosity of the locals bringing in first timers then it is worth it. All adverts have gimmicks and let's be honest after the Julie Lewis Memorial meeting K.K. was dubious about running the Silver Helmet meeting.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Thornaby48 said:

Yes I agree it is gimmicky but it is a one off meeting and if the gimmick caught the attention and curiosity of the locals bringing in first timers then it is worth it. All adverts have gimmicks and let's be honest after the Julie Lewis Memorial meeting K.K. was dubious about running the Silver Helmet meeting.

Looking at your thoughts again maybe you have a point and the Julie Lewis meeting might have been the meeting to test your theory but I think the Silver Helmet has too much history to be experimented with,  The Silver Helmet would still go ahead if a meeting sponsor/sponsors can be found.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:37 AM, waytogo28 said:

I think motivating supporters is an almost impossible task because we have had 20 years of total submission / acceptance of continuing to pay to see what the BSPA put on.  Very few care enough to form some kind of Supporters Action Team because they realise that we have no power to put pressure on Promoters, collectively or individually. It is they who will decide on the destiny of the sport here and whether or not it reaches the Centenary in 2028. There will still be a few tracks racing amateur speedway matches and these will be staffed and organised by grassroots enthusiasts. Or, will speedway be just another lost sport...

Is there no one with any motivation or has apathy taken over and a possible positive outcome been lost again?

15 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

YES! And please don't let it be under the control of BSPA / SCB.

:D

But on the plus side....

If your telly went 'pop', you wouldnt have to buy a new one, you could simply borrow any of your neighbours' TV's every time you wanted to play...

(And they might have a better telly than you so you'd actually be better off)...

But you could only play every third or fourth week obviously.

(Oh! And only on a Monday or a Wednesday)...

:rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv

somebody will be along shortly , to make the comparison between fottbal ,the cinema , eating out , or buying a bag of crisps 

I think that if speedway continues in any way, shape or form in 2025 it will be nothing like the present "business model".

cityrebel summed it up when he said "At AtSwindon  last night I handed over £20 inc prog, to stand in a dump of a stadium, to watch 15 processional races on a dust bowl of a track. It's not rocket science is it."- And I added that of the many, many thousands who have walked away over the last five years - would tell the same story of disillusionment. It rings true mostly for me. I know a proportion of elderly fans have passed away but not that many!  The continuity of UK speedway is directly linked to the continuing decline of it. Until the promoters collectively realise that - if they haven't already - there is a possibility that there will be NO continuity at all. Instead of our 20 quids being wasted it's their many thousands of quids of investment being washed away. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adonis said:

somebody will be along shortly , to make the comparison between fottbal ,the cinema , eating out , or buying a bag of crisps 

I can play a game of football, eat out at my local chippy and go and watch a film afterwards all for £6.19

Sorry it took so long

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, iainb said:

I can play a game of football, eat out at my local chippy and go and watch a film afterwards all for £6.19

Sorry it took so long

Gone with the wind?  :)

• Like 1