British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

31 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

That is another problem of the BSPA. They linger on slowly hoping for the miracle that will draw in substantial numbers of new fans.

That "miracle" has been and gone. It was Sky Sports.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

That is another problem of the BSPA. They linger on slowly hoping for the miracle that will draw in substantial numbers of new fans.

are you blaming them for lack of shale on tracks?

The last few meetings i have seen

Redcar v Scunthorpe--super race track and well prepped,some excellent racing

Peterbourgh V Scunthorpe--  mega hot day and evening,brilliant race track, billiantly prepared,great racing and a close score,it was excellent speedway

Scunthorpe v Glasgow --  mega hot day,great racing an even ,fair race track,last heat decider  outstanding meeting put on on by both teams

Sheff V Scunthorpe  --smooth and consistant race race,all riders prepared to have a good,good crowd and a good meeting

then you look at both the main leagues,the race for the play offs is wide open in both,impossible to call and the teams that can make the play offs are evenly matched, an exciting finish to the season ahead in both leagues

yes we still have doom and gloom, i dont understand it really

Edited by montie
  • Like 1

My point was all about the decline in turnstiles clicks, as so many people are concerned about the crowd numbers falling away sharply. Even such meetings as those you attended and enjoyed do not seem to be bringing in new supporters and turning them on to speedway. Did any of those have more than 1,000 people paying to get in?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

My point was all about the decline in turnstiles clicks, as so many people are concerned about the crowd numbers falling away sharply. Even such meetings as those you attended and enjoyed do not seem to be bringing in new supporters and turning them on to speedway. Did any of those have more than 1,000 people paying to get in?

no they didnt,and thats my point,im not sure what more they [BSPA/CLUBS] can do as they were meetings that were top draw 

One interesting point was i spoke to a chap at Peterbourgh and he was last of a group of 4 who attended the show ground together,,i ask why this was as i thought it was great,i sat in comfort,great view of the racing,racing was good,track was mint,presentaion was good  --what more do thay want i asked

they not allowed to stand up at the back of the main stand anymore which they loved to do was was his reply

48 minutes ago, montie said:

are you blaming them for lack of shale on tracks?

The last few meetings i have seen

Redcar v Scunthorpe--super race track and well prepped,some excellent racing

Peterbourgh V Scunthorpe--  mega hot day and evening,brilliant race track, billiantly prepared,great racing and a close score,it was excellent speedway

Scunthorpe v Glasgow --  mega hot day,great racing an even ,fair race track,last heat decider  outstanding meeting put on on my both teams

Sheff V Scunthorpe  --smooth and consistant race race,all riders prepared to have a good,goo crowd and a good meeting

then you look at both the main leagues,the race for the play offs is wide open in both,impossible to call and the teams that can make the play offs are evenly matched, an exciting finish to the season ahead in both leagues

yes we still have doom and gloom, i dont understand it really

The race for the Play-Offs may be exciting to some as it's a close scrap for the final places, but turnstile clicks are the whole thing that keeps the sport going. The crowd may seem good but compare it to even a decade ago and the trend is worrying. The attendance may be good but it isn't good regularly, isn't keeping speedway in profit. Tracks will struggle and close. Or the diminishing number of fans will happily pay more to subsidise the ones that have gone. The confidence has been lost that our promoters can resurrect it any day soon. In fact, the slowing at the turnstiles will probably just see them order another can of WD40 and try to get another year out of the way with the promise of a fresh dawn next winter. Speedway runs entirely on short-termism.   

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

The race for the Play-Offs may be exciting to some as it's a close scrap for the final places, but turnstile clicks are the whole thing that keeps the sport going. The crowd may seem good but compare it to even a decade ago and the trend is worrying. The attendance may be good but it isn't good regularly, isn't keeping speedway in profit. Tracks will struggle and close. Or the diminishing number of fans will happily pay more to subsidise the ones that have gone. The confidence has been lost that our promoters can resurrect it any day soon. In fact, the slowing at the turnstiles will probably just see them order another can of WD40 and try to get another year out of the way with the promise of a fresh dawn next winter. Speedway runs entirely on short-termism.   

100% correct but my point is im really not sure what more they can do that what has been provided in the meetings i previously mentioned

Good tracks,good racing,decent presentation,close exciting results,with good friends and a few beers

im not really sure what else they can do...answers on a postcard i guess

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, montie said:

100% correct but my point is im really not sure what more they can do that what has been provided in the meetings i previously mentioned

Good tracks,good racing,decent presentation,close exciting results,with good friends and a few beers

...there lies the question? A real dilemma that the sport faces. Personally I think that youngsters (potential new fans) are too obsessed with technological innovations  (sweeping generalisation I know) and it's a difficult process in trying to avert/engage within that scenario. I'm sure speedway could take on board certain initiatives as regards engaging with technology (as have often been highlighted on here) but my personal experience working within tourism I see the effects of trying to engage with people more and more challenging whilst attempting to grab their attention and concentration.

Bikes going around in circles perhaps just doesn't grab them enough?

Maybe we just need to admit speedways a thing of the past ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pinny said:

i hate to say it but......despite what a good product it is ,is it enough,   it really is a tough one

34 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Said the same about darts in the late 80s early 90s.

Just seen a picture in our local paper of the crowd at The Hawthorns and while it may have looked younger than a speedway crowd there wasn't many youngsters, teenagers or even 20 year olds in it. Maybe it's not just a speedway problem. Even the crowds at darts are mainly middle aged and over

• Like 2

2 hours ago, montie said:

no they didnt,and thats my point,im not sure what more they [BSPA/CLUBS] can do as they were meetings that were top draw 

One interesting point was i spoke to a chap at Peterbourgh and he was last of a group of 4 who attended the show ground together,,i ask why this was as i thought it was great,i sat in comfort,great view of the racing,racing was good,track was mint,presentaion was good  --what more do thay want i asked

they not allowed to stand up at the back of the main stand anymore which they loved to do was was his reply

That's an excuse, not a reason. I'd say that there's more to it than that. As a long termer who still goes, I'd agree that the view and comfort is as good or better than anywhere, the track is rarely the same twice, presentation is probably good compared to the rest but compared to what it has been at Peterborough I'd say it's average. As to what more do people want, something more akin to what they had I guess although that didn't bring the crowds in either, so buggered if I know. A winning team usually does it and Rathbone seems to have got a handle on that now, hence Sunday's crowd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, montie said:

You see, that's exactly the problem in a nutshell - who uses postcards anymore?!!  ;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bruno said:

Just seen a picture in our local paper of the crowd at The Hawthorns and while it may have looked younger than a speedway crowd there wasn't many youngsters, teenagers or even 20 year olds in it. Maybe it's not just a speedway problem. Even the crowds at darts are mainly middle aged and over

They are all youngsters at the Hawthorns really, it's just that having to put up with the stuff TP & Pardew served up it's taken its toll on them.:)

• Like 2