British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

See the Workington v Sheffield topic to see what a mess the system is in.

Sums it up perfectly though I don`t think that is a good thing.

4 hours ago, Spl77 said:

That worked in the old NL of the late 80s and that league was doing well until it got broken up to save the 9 team top flight. The argument that no guest for a missing number one will reduce the attendance doesn't really stack up when you're almost down to one man and his dog anyway. The doubling up amd guest situation  has forced thousands away over the years I'm one of them! 

Not really. A team that has say a Doyle or a Lambert and  you  then replaced them with a junior the crowd is going to go down by 150 to 300  and that  will cripple clubs .it's same the old story people putting up ideas but with no thinking about the money side .it's the same with take away the play offs and why don't we a play off cup !. Yet again your plan is thinking that the fans don't care who they watch .people have left because the standard of rider has dropped 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, orion said:

Not really. A team that has say a Doyle or a Lambert and  you  then replaced them with a junior the crowd is going to go down by 150 to 300  and that  will cripple clubs .it's same the old story people putting up ideas but with no thinking about the money side .it's the same with take away the play offs and why don't we a play off cup !. Yet again your plan is thinking that the fans don't care who they watch .people have left because the standard of rider has dropped 

I don’t think it is just a case that the standard of rider that has dropped.  You do not have to have  Gregg, Tai and others to make a good race, but you do want to see riders with track craft, throttle control and the ability to adapt to the track as presented and put on a show. Fans are fed up with seeing those that work at it to hone their skills versus those who ride in so many leagues and countries that Speedway U.K. is just pin money. The paying public deserve better. Aim for a level playing field and that does not mean clubs wasting money they do not have on the top stars because the UK version of speedway cannot afford them any longer. Speedway is a spent sport that will struggle for years to come so it is time to wise up and run at a level that can be reasonably funded out of the very little revenue that each team can generate. Those that cannot make ends meet should close. It needs to be a part time income for those riding over here not the sole source of pay for the participants. Why supporters want to watch six riders plus R/R every other week really makes no sense. Being weekly is probably more a case of if you are lucky (more like,ly every three to four weeks) and with no real allegiance to the team because of guests and double ups supporters no longer recognise or have a local team. You have a bunch of riders who are mercenaries and take what they can get from any source. They are not interested in the punter just the pound in their pocket from the nights racing be this a fixed fee and/or points money.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, orion said:

Disagree with the fall in standard causing the mass loss of support. Sure some have walked away because of the fall in standard but far more myself including myself have walked away because of micky mouse rules and shambolic way the sport is run. The old British League Was on its knees and down to 9 clubs in 1990 and all the top guys were still riding in the UK. The formation of one big league in 1995 again because of the top flight failing still saw the vast majority of top guys still here. Its probably only in the last 15 years that the majority of big names haven't competed here. At that point the crowds were far less than the late eighties. The decline has been in progress since the mid eighties long before the big boys left. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I don’t think it is just a case that the standard of rider that has dropped.  You do not have to have  Gregg, Tai and others to make a good race, but you do want to see riders with track craft, throttle control and the ability to adapt to the track as presented and put on a show. Fans are fed up with seeing those that work at it to hone their skills versus those who ride in so many leagues and countries that Speedway U.K. is just pin money. The paying public deserve better. Aim for a level playing field and that does not mean clubs wasting money they do not have on the top stars because the UK version of speedway cannot afford them any longer. Speedway is a spent sport that will struggle for years to come so it is time to wise up and run at a level that can be reasonably funded out of the very little revenue that each team can generate. Those that cannot make ends meet should close. It needs to be a part time income for those riding over here not the sole source of pay for the participants. Why supporters want to watch six riders plus R/R every other week really makes no sense. Being weekly is probably more a case of if you are lucky (more like,ly every three to four weeks) and with no real allegiance to the team because of guests and double ups supporters no longer recognise or have a local team. You have a bunch of riders who are mercenaries and take what they can get from any source. They are not interested in the punter just the pound in their pocket from the nights racing be this a fixed fee and/or points money.

Totally agree. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

Disagree with the fall in standard causing the mass loss of support. Sure some have walked away because of the fall in standard but far more myself including myself have walked away because of micky mouse rules and shambolic way the sport is run. The old British League Was on its knees and down to 9 clubs in 1990 and all the top guys were still riding in the UK. The formation of one big league in 1995 again because of the top flight failing still saw the vast majority of top guys still here. Its probably only in the last 15 years that the majority of big names haven't competed here. At that point the crowds were far less than the late eighties. The decline has been in progress since the mid eighties long before the big boys left. 

Agree as an earlier post of mine also indicated.

44 minutes ago, orion said:

I agree, and whatever way you look at it, you are effectively replacing a heat-leader with a junior.  Heaven forbid you are two heat-leaders short...

Not being negative, but adding to a point I made earlier regarding this situation, here are the likely scenarios:

The loss of a star name (or names) can certainly cause spectators to stay away.

Replacing a heat leader with a junior drastically weakens a team, so the resulting contest is likely to be "no contest".  That can drive away spectators.

With an uncompetitive junior (or juniors) on display, the quality of the racing will probably suffer. That can drive away spectators.

The key to competitive sport is confidence.  Particularly in a sport like speedway, where one is basically competing on a individual basis, throwing kids in at the deep end can destroy their career before it even begins.  We have seen that all too often, and certainly back in the 80's when they introduced the compulsory junior in the BL.  The vast majority of the kids never did anything in the sport, and it wasn't because they weren't good enough; it was because they had the stuffing knocked out of them, and they lost all confidence.  I have seen that happen to many talented youngsters in my own sport of darts too, so I am very familiar with the problems it causes.

So, loss of stars, one-sided match with crap racing, and irreparable damage to a youngster's confidence and career...  Is that really a solution?

Steve

49 minutes ago, orion said:

Not in the CL where the standard is as high as it’s ever been if not higher imo.

I agree that we have lost our stars to a point but most have retired and haven’t been replaced by the current crop we have.

24 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Being weekly is probably more a case of if you are lucky (more like,ly every three to four weeks) and with no real allegiance to the team because of guests and double ups supporters no longer recognise or have a local team. You have a bunch of riders who are mercenaries and take what they can get from any source. They are not interested in the punter just the pound in their pocket from the nights racing be this a fixed fee and/or points money.

This precisely sums up one of the main reasons I no longer go. The majority of riders in the PL couldn't care less about any aspect of the meeting, team or fans as long as their pocket is lined and wh*re themselves out to whoever is paying the next pound coin.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, frigbo said:

This precisely sums up one of the main reasons I no longer go. The majority of riders in the PL couldn't care less about any aspect of the meeting, team or fans as long as their pocket is lined and wh*re themselves out to whoever is paying the next pound coin.

I do not think you are alone. I long gave up on six man teams made up of guests, strays and anyone who could ride a bike and the fact that the powers that be felt I only needed to watch speedway every two or three weeks has been the final straw and my response is well screw you lot. I will save the cash and find something more interesting to follow. Too many of the people running clubs are so far removed from reality that they really need to get out and do everyone a favour and take up knitting because they are of no value to the well being of speedway 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spl77 said:

The slow death started when Wembley was lost in 1981.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The slow death started when Wembley was lost in 1981.

...I would add the disappearance of speedway in the capitol generally which must have affected it's stature within the mass media outlets.

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...I would add the disappearance of speedway in the capitol generally which must have affected it's stature within the mass media outlets.

There was an indoor circuit in Washington DC...? ;)

• Like 1

It's a sad state of affairs when both sides in an NL match are using guests and RR.

An absolute shame :(

• Like 3