British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

4 minutes ago, orion said:

This what i mean about these topics .it always ends up with normal suspects talking about  the old days .and then then yet going on about second halfs war chants and not liking the gps and plays offs .in the end they just can't help themselfs .

But if that's their opinion of why speedway in GB is continuing to decline then they're as entitled to put it on this thread just as you are to keep telling them they're wrong.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, orion said:

This what i mean about these topics .it always ends up with normal suspects talking about  the old days .and then then yet going on about second halfs war chants and not liking the gps and plays offs .in the end they just can't help themselfs .

They did help themselves - they stopped attending. Feel free to stand where you want.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Having had my preference for Isle of Wight speedway raised, I can give a few reasons why that is. The other teams named are merely examples, as others do exactly the same thing.

1 Edinburgh charge full price for a rain off programme with an insert. That's a rip off. At Isle of Wight, they are free with a request that the cost is replaced by a go on the raffle or a contribution to the tyre fund.

2 A child's entry at Poole is either £4 or £7, depending on their age. At Isle of Wight, they are free.

3 Sheffield charge £15 (I think that amount is correct) for a go on the centre green. At Isle of Wight its (you guessed it) free, and that applies to home and away supporters. On Thursday, a group of Mildenhall fans watched heat 1 from the middle.

4 I once criticised the state of Stoke's track and got 15 minutes of aggressive abuse in response. I did the same about Isle of Wight, got an apology, a reasoned explanation and a hope that I would come back. 

5 Belle Vue charge £7 for a burger and chips. By all accounts, they are 'horrible' (or words to that effect, I have never had one myself). At Isle of Wight on Thursday, I had a plate of home made sausage casserole and a lump of bread for £3.50. It was that good I over-indulged in second helpings.

6 King's Lynn refuse to allow food in and indeed threaten to search people to prevent it. On Thursday, a large family brought in an equally large hamper, sat on the grass on the first bend and watched the racing having a picnic including wine.

7 I stand to be corrected here, but I have never seen Eastbourne undertake any promotional activities. Isle of Wight attend about a dozen shows a year during the season with their tent, bikes and other speedway paraphernalia.

8 At most meetings, promoter Barry Bishop works the crowd, talking, explaining but above all listening. Belle Vue's Adrian Smith does this but aside from one instance years ago by Peter Toogood I have never seen anyone else do the same.

9 At Birmingham, a lengthy interval is just that so you stand around getting cold and bored. Isle of Wight have running and bike races for the youngsters, interviews and rider autograph and picture sessions. 

10 We have all stood around when a rider has been injured and there has been a delay. Isle of Wight, last season, organised activities for the youngsters until the racing recommenced. Never seen that anywhere else.

11 At the Mildenhall - Isle of Wight meeting last season, the start was delayed on a red hot day. Riders then took out bottles of cold water to those stuck outside. Fantastic idea, but it didn't come from Mildenhall. 

12 Finally, there's the amazing story of Ann Barrett- the speedway fan who couldn't get to the track because of her disability but went into her garden to listen to the bikes. The promotion heard about it, and now she gets a taxi to the stadium reach week and a sponsor has supplied a season ticket. That's just fantastic.

All of that added up - and I am sure I can think of more given time - is impressive and accounts for the opinions that people have of what has been achieved on the Island.

Really interesting. Some promoters deserve much better support. A really good account of down to earth incidents.

Edited by moxey63

Just adding my 2P's worth, re: the GB v Australia Test Match at Glasgow.  The stadium capacity was quoted as 2,500, don't think the meeting was a sell-out but there was a more than decent crowd with many fans from other tracks.  The novelty of an international & seeing Woffinden + the full GB squad (less Lambert) were draws, but had only the 'usual' Ashfield crowd numbers showed up, or even less as some fans didn't attend such meets at Hull as 'it isn't / wasn't Hull Vikings', then speedway as a whole surely IS in big trouble.  I'm not saying the sport without it's problems, but the fact a healthier then normal atttendance watched the meeting means perhaps there is hope for the future afterall....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling, grammar

4 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Just adding my 2P's worth, re: the GB v Australia Test Match at Glasgow.  The stadium capacity was quoted as 2,500, don't think the meeting was a sell-out but there was a more than decent crowd with many fans from other tracks.  The novelty of an international & seeing Woffinden + the full GB squad (less Lambert) were draws, but had only the 'usual' Ashfield crowd numbers showed up, or even less as some fans didn't attend such meets at Hull as 'it isn't / wasn't Hull Vikings', then speedway as a whole surely IS in big trouble.  I'm not saying the sport without it's problems, but the fact a healthier then normal atttendance watched the meeting means perhaps there is hope for the future afterall....

I would suggest the 'novelty value' was a big factor, as was the fact the meeting had credibility when so many don't...

The same as when a 'World Star' comes back to domestic racing. ie the crowds increase for the first few weeks but then drift back to normal as the season progresses and he starts to miss meetings through other commitments and the Guestfest merry go round starts..

Maybe that is the the way forward though? Less being more?...

Put on fewer meetings but give every one of them a meaning?

Run say once a month giving the promotion ample time to actually promote every event?

I never buy into the view that people stop going if there are long gaps between meetings, as if the meetings were promoted correctly the next one should be highly anticipated and deliver a good expectant crowd. And if the previous meeting was any good then surely that can only increase the anticipation for the next one? 

Cardiff runs just once a year, yet everyone knows when it is and therefore attends...

As with so much of British Speedway,  a huge amount of its problem is down to a lack of active ongoing promotion and of course trying to sell a product that simply often lacks credibility...

Maybe worth reflecting on that it sounds like this Test Match had both and a decent crowd duly arrived... (And at short notice too)..

Edited by mikebv

15 hours ago, Whisperer said:

A brilliant ethos and I sincerely hope it continues forever.

If I look back there are many Promotors who started their careers with such admirable qualities but allowed the red mist of win at all costs to cloud their judgement over the years.  Poole were great at it, so were Peterborough under Rick and Julie, Len Silver always valued his customers until they consistently battered him on social media, Scunthorpe was a fabulous day out when it was in the lower tier (racing is still good) but aspirations of success and elevation bring cost challenges just to keep up with the Jones's and soon enough the viability is threatened and the focus moves from your type of ethos to win, win, win or I've got to stop bleeding out of the rse and cut costs.

Please don't get drawn into that swamp, the newts will all turn into alligators come the AGM and you'll need more than your old survival suit!

In the last three seasons Isle of Wight have been kicked in the privates on several occasions and I remain convinced that that was partly motivated by sheer jealousy. 

Yet Barry and Martin have carried on with exactly the same attitude and methods, to their huge credit. As a much travelled fan, I am of the opinion that they set a standard for the rest of speedway to follow and I can only hope that they achieve the on and off track success that they deserve.

However, I know that underpinning the exemplary style is a firm conviction that Isle of Wight speedway is not a personal hobby into which might be poured huge quantities of spare cash. Its a business, and is run as such. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Really interesting. Some promoters deserve much better support. A really good account of down to earth incidents.

The members of this forum are often derided as keyboard commandos and the forum itself has been described as 'utterly without credence'. 

That's probably because certain promoters can't stomach any form of criticism whatsoever and this forum is beyond their reach

It is, however, indicative that when a promoter does come on here he gets three likes for every post. That's a remarkable record and shows how much his contribution is appreciated. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, orion said:

...you really need to read posts more carefully. I was giving examples and/or quotes  as to why some riders have gradually over a period of years apparently become less committed in competing within the UK domestic programme. Something you keep suggesting is one reason why people have stopped attending speedway in this country in the numbers that they once did. In other words giving some reasons and/or background as to why the current situation has developed over time (there are other reasons, of course, as it's a complex issue)

By the way I'm still waiting for some examples from you on how speedway could be turned round and the decline halted in this country? The Play-Offs have beed debated, dissected and analysed but other examples would be appreciated?

PS By the way it's Second Halves

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

In the last three seasons Isle of Wight have been kicked in the privates on several occasions and I remain convinced that that was partly motivated by sheer jealousy. 

Yet Barry and Martin have carried on with exactly the same attitude and methods, to their huge credit. As a much travelled fan, I am of the opinion that they set a standard for the rest of speedway to follow and I can only hope that they achieve the on and off track success that they deserve.

However, I know that underpinning the exemplary style is a firm conviction that Isle of Wight speedway is not a personal hobby into which might be poured huge quantities of spare cash. Its a business, and is run as such. 

Unfortunately I never got to see speedway on the Island although I was a regular visitor during the seventies, eighties and nineties. A friend of mine used to holiday there and had nothing but praise for the speedway as he was a regular some years back (admittedly that was during the Premier League Years) Reading the various comments the present regime appear to have got many things right and congratulations must be in order.

Edited by steve roberts

The creation of the junior leagues SDL and MDL have created a lot of young up and coming Speedway riders for the future. Also giving Weymouth, Exeter and Reading the opportunity to race again, hopefully more will race again Bristol being one of them. MFS on the IOW are producing young riders then bringing them through the SDL Wizards. The future is bright

As a smallbrook regular, last thursday was my 7th visit of the season. I never thought speedway would return to the island after it closed in 2013. It had too many things going against it, the Solent being the main obstacle. The new promotion have done a fantastic job in turning the track around, and it has a real feel good factor about the place.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

But if that's their opinion of why speedway in GB is continuing to decline then they're as entitled to put it on this thread just as you are to keep telling them they're wrong.

Yea but try make out it's not there  opinion that they just want  the rules back from the old days . But after the while the mask soon slips .

Sadly one factor in the decline of Speedway is that the younger generation think an evenings entertainment consists of watching TV, playing video games or chatting on social media. 

Many people only "go out" when they go to work or for weddings and funerals. Many have stopped going to the pub because it is a ten minute walk and they can't take the car. It is that sort of mentality that many sports like Speedway are fighting. Added to that is the very short attention span of many younger people and sport in general has a problem. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, orion said:

Yea but try make out it's not there  opinion that they just want  the rules back from the old days . But after the while the mask soon slips .

...I've given you examples of my views/opinions as regards how the sport could move on. Debatable but open to discussion however I'm still waiting for some examples from yourself although I'm not holding my breath!

13 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

As a smallbrook regular, last thursday was my 7th visit of the season. I never thought speedway would return to the island after it closed in 2013. It had too many things going against it, the Solent being the main obstacle. The new promotion have done a fantastic job in turning the track around, and it has a real feel good factor about the place.

If I ventured onto the Island again (a long way from York) I would be tempted to give it a try.

• Like 1