British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

6 hours ago, theblueboy said:

To date, and it’s approximately 12-18 months now but no acknowledgement or interest. Now, it could be Lee is busy. I know he has many hats and puts a lot of effort in but an acknowledgment or something similar would have been nice. Instead, as always, the chance to interest new people and let them know speedway is out there is missed. 

Aha. That was my and our small group's experience. No acknowledgement or apparent interest in the positive feedback offered. Why I do not understand but except for continuing to ask for our support and "bring a friend" that is the extent of clubs perceived role for supporters.

6 hours ago, theblueboy said:

At the end of the day, I attend so it’s not me they have to convince but clubs just do not help themselves.

Promoters need to think of tomorrow not yesterday.

And that says it all except that personally, I am at the stage of not attending regularly, just as & when.

• Like 1

I See in  the 20-20 cricket finals yesterday Worcs had a player called wood they got on loan to play 20-20 crickets from Notts This same player thou still  plays for his parent club in the four game thou ..amazed the crowd was so big seeing the same kind of thing effects the crowds so badly in speedway .

24 minutes ago, orion said:

I See in  the 20-20 cricket finals yesterday Worcs had a player called wood they got on loan to play 20-20 crickets from Notts This same player thou still  plays for his parent club in the four game thou ..amazed the crowd was so big seeing the same kind of thing effects the crowds so badly in speedway .

But has he guested for just about every team in both leagues as well this season?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, orion said:

4 teams represented on finals day so I'd say the crowd was about what they'd expect

8 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

4 teams represented on finals day so I'd say the crowd was about what they'd expect

The crowd can't have been as people don't like teams like worcs had .looking forward to a  massive crowd at swindon this week as they have used less guests this season than they have used in 20 seasons .after all that is what fans want.. the same 7 each week .

I'm sure if that became as widespread in 20 20 as it is in speedway or they started using guests week in week out it would impact. The thing with 20 20 is you tend to go for the event. They have been very good at marketing the product and got away from the old man image of the 4 day game. If speedway had been half as successful in changing its image and rebranding this tread would not exsist.

On the subject of guests cause I know your a big fan...... Paul Starke has appeared in 3 of the last 4 league meetings at Foxhall riding for 3 different teams. 

On the question of Swindon on Thursday I can't make it due to other commitments however the BSPA have granted them the use of fan replacement of guest fan for the good of speedway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spl77 said:

On the subject of guests cause I know your a big fan...... Paul Starke has appeared in 3 of the last 4 league meetings at Foxhall riding for 3 different teams. 

Hence there is not much point in marketing UK speedway too hard because it remains a joke. Outsiders could only gawp and laugh. Thankfully the outside world does not know.

2 hours ago, Spl77 said:

I'm sure if that became as widespread in 20 20 as it is in speedway or they started using guests week in week out it would impact. The thing with 20 20 is you tend to go for the event. They have been very good at marketing the product and got away from the old man image of the 4 day game. If speedway had been half as successful in changing its image and rebranding this tread would not exsist.

On the question of Swindon on Thursday I can't make it due to other commitments however the BSPA have granted them the use of fan replacement of guest fan for the good of speedway. 

Also the T20 product is good, its largely an entertaining night out, sadly that can't be said of speedway more often than not.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, Tsunami said:

and your workable and affordable solution is what ?

Explain your 15 years ?  That would only happen if the points limit was below the 42 points limit

Never seen his plan yet.

As he is so much against weakening the league, no doubt it is throwing money about to get the top riders in

Wonder if he - and many others who advocate that - would be prepared to gamble their money rather than someone else's ?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Spl77 said:

As has been said before when you on any other come up with any better idea's than guests etc that work with out effecting  the crowd let us know ...I am a fan of better idea's that work not replacing no 1's with juniors ..

I Doubt you will get in on Thursday as it's likely to be a sell out as Swindon have had the same 1 -7 most of  the year ..I must admit it's had a massive effect on crowd numbers at the abbey :rolleyes:

Interesting debate on the radio yesterday about trialing the new cricket 100 ball format to try to bring in new cricket fans. They are investing £200m a year! :o  Aggers was on the radio and he thinks it wont bring in any new supporters and will probably alienate existing fans.

Cricket obviously has a lot more money than speedway to invest but will be interesting to see if it works. 

• Like 4

On 8/20/2018 at 8:00 AM, browny64 said:

The creation of the junior leagues SDL and MDL have created a lot of young up and coming Speedway riders for the future. Also giving Weymouth, Exeter and Reading the opportunity to race again, hopefully more will race again Bristol being one of them. MFS on the IOW are producing young riders then bringing them through the SDL Wizards. The future is bright

This is one of the things we are most proud of on the IOW and it also adds to our evening’s entertainment because MFS students and Mini Warriors are all part of the show.  Every week from 6.15 - 6.45 we have around 12 mascots on track on Revvis, Piwi's, 160cc and 500cc machines - we have noticed that people are now attending the stadium earlier to watch the mascots - at 6.45 when they have finished we bring them on to the centre green to receive their applause - this is part of being a speedway rider... it gives them (and us) great pride to hear people clapping and cheering for the mascots - we also interview them to start to teach them public speaking... one of my favourites for this is Chad Wirtzfeld who would not look at anyone let alone speak as freely as he does now on the microphone.

At every opportunity we include piwi races in our main events - obviously non-league or cup meetings. This has proved hugely popular with the fans and students and again it teaches them from an early age what it is like to win but more importantly how to improve, how to react if your bike stops, how to interact with the crowd, what to do when another child asks for your autograph... the pride of wearing a MFS race jacket.

As it stands as a direct result of the school, My First Skid, we have a stream of new riders all wanting to be speedway riders. So much so that we decided to enter a Wizards squad in to the SDL league with an ethos of no matter what, we only use our squad and riders in that squad must be My First Skid students. It has shown remarkable results in my view - Morgan Williams, Ben Ilsley, James Luckman, Steph Whitlock, are now totally different riders from just 6 months ago and indeed in my view exceeded our expectation. Of course, we now want them to continue on their path and become Warriors making way for other students coming through the school who want to be Wizards. I believe next year we will have a very healthy supply of second halves with 3 new 15-year olds joining our Wizard squad who will want to push for a team spot. Let me tell you, this is so rewarding - we are now seeing result from 2 years and if it continues as it has then there is just so much potential.

Our school takes everyone, and we operate in a fun, safe, educational environment, that has rules and seems to work. It constantly sells out - on Oct 11th we have 22 children and 22 adults booked in, some living the dream, others wanting to make the dream begin and others really wanting to make it. Their ages are 4 - 78 and they come from across the country. I have no idea why they choose us, but I am so proud they do. I am more proud they keep coming back.

Finally, I have learnt so much from the school too - our school basically pays for itself and a set of team tyres for the Warriors per event. No one is paid, no one expects it. I have learnt that kids and adults love our sport, our kids want to be speedway riders and we make them all feel like they can make it to be world champion… why? because they could. I also know that people have brought their children just to ride a motorcycle not knowing what speedway is... it’s true...but they are all converted when they come to our fun filled nights where their kids are part of the show. They love it.... we all do. It is brilliant. 

Enough of my ramblings.. It’s true to say that we love our school, we love the reaction of the kids and adults when they achieve, we love that our methods do work and riders are progressing, we love the teamwork and sense of pride that we instil in our students, and if you ever want to try look up My First Skid on Facebook or twitter. Come live the dream. 

See you trackside.......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Engaging parents and kids - that's the way to do it. Well done IoW

Looking at the grandstand crowd at BV last Monday night - give it 5 years and they will have to be extending the wheelchair section massively - now that's (not) progress.

Edited by OveFundinFan

I don't think it should be engaging with kids alone. Other age groups should be encouraged, either as first-timers or try and entice old fans back. But the product must be good enough to make them want to return.  

• Like 1

The problem is How To Engage and Hold other age groups other than Over 60's ( most of whom remember a more glorious past ). Kids can be brought in in the Barry Bishop IOW way much more simply ( with the effort shown there ). 20s to 40s and 40s to 60s is a much more difficult proposition to even get them to take a long look at what speedway offers.

• Like 1