British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

2 hours ago, Spl77 said:

Imagine if the eggs were not available because they were doubling up in the cafe over the road so beans were brought in as a guest meanwhile chips were forced to appear at mcdonalds to be rearranged as French fries so chip replacement was used..... You'd end up with a plate of beans instead of egg and chips. Surely this is British speedway all over? 

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Only interested in 13 heat matches if the cost is £9.99 ( or less ) and matches, without on-track problems, are finished in 75 mins ( as they should be ) so that those not interested in meaningless 2nd halves can get away if they so choose, as you suggest. Never much was unless the Next Great Thing was riding. Crisply run meetings seem to be high on the agenda of many fans ( definitely myself ). Not my first choice for speedway's next change of direction. which should be one upper league of 14 tracks running over 15 heats ( as now ) . Crisply run of course with no need for a 10 minute plus wait for heat 15.

Are we starting to get to the crux of falling attendances ? After having the starter and main course at SP 177's cafe we are told there will be a 15 minute delay before the dessert because the chef wants a rest.

4 hours ago, Thornaby48 said:

Could one reason new young fans are not coming through is the time meeting finish?  They usually start at 7-30 and finish between 9-30 and 10 and then they have to  get home ,it could ,perhaps  be too late for many when they have school or college the next day or they want to get back to their computers. The most popular sports such as football and rugby are 9 times out of 10 played on a weekend afternoon so there isn't a problem, we never hear them comment about lack of support. So if this could be a factor lets try to finish the main match in good time. Why do we need an interval after heat 10 ? All we are doing is standing around for 15  minutes twiddling our thumbs waiting for  the last 5 heats get under way. Redcar do provide entertainment of a sort with a competition, interviews with any former riders who are there and the excellent Smoggie the Bear entertaining the kids but I would rather be watching the racing.Whilst the Redcar  stadium is very pleasant with a friendly atmosphere it is basic in places, no cover from the weather on the standing terraces for instance , and it can get chilly up here late on.

Last Thursday I attended  Redcar  v  Ipswich (a very good meeting) which was threatened by rain so the promotion got a move on and 15 heats, a couple of delays as the track was graded ,no interval until after heat 15 and the main match was over by 9pm, which if you had kids gets them home in reasonable time.

Let's return to the old "40-38"(13 heats) days with the interval after the main match and before the Rider of the Night second half then people can decide whether to go or stay

It would be interesting to know if a Saturday track ,like Berwick  starting at 7pm, pulls in more youngsters than a mid week track.

Actually, football is having a similar problem to Speedway in that younger fans are not coming through the turnstiles. The average age of fans going to Premier League matches is 42 and is increasing. Compared to the season before the Premier League was born the average age was 30. The top 2 divisions are pricing families out of the market, relying heavily on the merchandise, sponsorship and television markets for income. It's expected that over the next 10 years the admission prices will only increase by 4% on season 2017/18. But by season 2027/28 the average age of fans is predicted to rise by 15% to just over 48. Clubs are being pressurised to reduce turnstile costs to encourage under 25's but many are not interested, instead increasing the numbers of corporate packages available. If things continue in the current trend, by 2035 the Premier League is to be played out to half empty stadiums or even, majority corporate venues

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I think you are deliberately ignoring the underlying point in my analogy.....

Not really .if make a analogy it has make sense and logic .that's the whole point .try again

14 minutes ago, orion said:

Not really .if make a analogy it has make sense and logic .that's the whole point .try again

Nah - Im more than happy with the point Ive made

I'll leave you to your fantasy world of attracting back the stars with the shirt buttons available

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Nah - Im more than happy with the point Ive made

I'll leave you to your fantasy world of attracting back the stars with the shirt buttons available

And I leave  you to keep to the same plan that has not worked for 20 years .

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Actually, football is having a similar problem to Speedway in that younger fans are not coming through the turnstiles. The average age of fans going to Premier League matches is 42 and is increasing. Compared to the season before the Premier League was born the average age was 30. The top 2 divisions are pricing families out of the market, relying heavily on the merchandise, sponsorship and television markets for income. It's expected that over the next 10 years the admission prices will only increase by 4% on season 2017/18. But by season 2027/28 the average age of fans is predicted to rise by 15% to just over 48. Clubs are being pressurised to reduce turnstile costs to encourage under 25's but many are not interested, instead increasing the numbers of corporate packages available. If things continue in the current trend, by 2035 the Premier League is to be played out to half empty stadiums or even, majority corporate venues

Interesting observation and suggests that nothing can be taken for granted...even football with all the media hype that exists!

Edited by steve roberts

11 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Interesting observation and suggests that nothing can be taken for granted...even football with all the media hype that exists!

I have already pointed out a couple of times that the Premier League held a meeting last season on the problem and the competition from esports!!!!No wonder things go round in circles here lol

Edited by iris123

36 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I have already pointed out a couple of times that the Premier League held a meeting last season on the problem and the competition from esports!!!!No wonder things go round in circles here lol

...constantly and without fail although I am sometimes selective in what I read personally!

Edited by steve roberts

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

...constantly and without fail although I am sometimes selective in what I read personally!

Therein lies one of the big problems here and why we go round in circles.......no names mentioned

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Therein lies one of the big problems here and why we go round in circles.......no names mentioned

...oh go on! Name some names...be a devil!

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...oh go on! Name some names...be a devil!

Think your right to stay schtumm are respected........constantly.I expect you to respect my right,just this once:rolleyes: 

13 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Think your right to stay schtumm are respected........constantly.I expect you to respect my right,just this once:rolleyes: 

Ah yes! Respect...something that occasionally goes amiss on this forum whatever the subject and/or discussion and/or opinion and continual discrediting of some posters.

To my knowledge I've never shown disrespect to any comment that you may have made...disagreed perhaps...but never disrespected.

...now we're both guilty of going round in circles!

Edited by steve roberts

Last night I watched the TV meeting from Lynn followed by Zielona Gora v Leszno no contest in which was better. Polish league any day not just because of the bi names but for the simple reasons that you could feel the atmosphere coming over though the TV fans chanting making noise. I think that there was more noise coming from the field over the road than in the stadium at Lynn. The whole polish set up just looks so professional from the way the whole thing is presented. 

As a side note the it was also interesting to hear how many heat wins the riders have had individually during the season. 

1 hour ago, Spl77 said:

Last night I watched the TV meeting from Lynn followed by Zielona Gora v Leszno no contest in which was better. Polish league any day not just because of the bi names but for the simple reasons that you could feel the atmosphere coming over though the TV fans chanting making noise. I think that there was more noise coming from the field over the road than in the stadium at Lynn. The whole polish set up just looks so professional from the way the whole thing is presented. 

As a side note the it was also interesting to hear how many heat wins the riders have had individually during the season. 

And was the racing better, big names don’t necessarily mean it’s better racing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GWC said:

And was the racing better, big names don’t necessarily mean it’s better racing.

Exactly.