British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

11 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I have the 1981 final on video and stancl does let penhall get away in the last heat but he had already  done enough before that to be a deserved winner .

I think it's more a case of Penhall going slow to make it an interesting race, knowing full well that Stancl won't pass him. Lanning's commentary is interesting in that race, though, talking of Penhall "playing to the gallery".

The way Bruce rode that night he was going to be world champion come what may. The last bend swoops to take Olsen and Knudsen on the line are the stuff of speedway legend. Had he been required to beat Carter in the last heat I feel certain he would have done. Stancl was never going to be a threat.

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

I don't think the Sunday People had any bearing at all on the problems of speedway today. If any fans were lost because of it, that would have been in 1984, and crowds then were very healthy compared to now. The idea of Bruce Penhall winning the 1981 World Final because Jiri Stancl let him beat him was, as you say, pretty laughable anyway, and any speedway fan would have known that.

The sport was still doing fine after that.

I think that the People article did have an impact on the National media and it's attitude to the Sport. It played right into the hands of all those around Fleet Street who always believed us to be a Mickey Mouse Sport. And pretty much drowned out the voices of those who had battled long and hard on our behalf. It was a right kick in the teeth to them from those riders involved. 

That added to the 'Danish takeover' at the time diminished the profile we DID have in the media until that time to the negligible levels we know now.

And in the end that would have had impact at the gates and sponsorship.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

I think that the People article did have an impact on the National media and it's attitude to the Sport. It played right into the hands of all those around Fleet Street who always believed us to be a Mickey Mouse Sport. And pretty much drowned out the voices of those who had battled long and hard on our behalf. It was a right kick in the teeth to them from those riders involved. 

That added to the 'Danish takeover' at the time diminished the profile we DID have in the media until that time to the negligible levels we know now.

And in the end that would have had impact at the gates and sponsorship.

Perfectly correct.  To just dismiss the scandal and say it had no impact goes a long way to summing up why the sport is in the state it is.  As does Mauger's attitude to the newspaper, if that is indeed what happened.
The national newspapers sponsored many events in the 70's - early 80's.  Did that stop after the Sunday People investigation? 

I don't recall many different sponsors beyond the mid 80's apart from Sunbrite and variations thereof.

I was sat in my local café this lunchtime reading one of the daily national morning papers and I usually start at the back page and move forward. Surprised to see a good half page about Moto GP from Austria the day before (Sunday), but then there was a much smaller report re Saturdays speedway GP in Malilla, sadly it started about the TW NP spat. Results were given, also a bit about British Superbikes from Thruxton and British Touring Car championship from Rockingham. The a list of speedway fixtures for tonights speedway.  Its a long time since I seen so much about motor sport in general (apart from F1 at Silverstone) and was genuinely surprised.  Speedway was still "a little bit", but hey - its a start. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

Perfectly correct.  To just dismiss the scandal and say it had no impact goes a long way to summing up why the sport is in the state it is.  As does Mauger's attitude to the newspaper, if that is indeed what happened.
The national newspapers sponsored many events in the 70's - early 80's.  Did that stop after the Sunday People investigation? 

I don't recall many different sponsors beyond the mid 80's apart from Sunbrite and variations thereof.

Briggo mentioned it in an interview he gave in 'Backtrack' some years ago.

• Like 1

Some of this recent stuff on this thread highlights what's wrong. We are discussing things from a generation ago. Has no relevance to what happens today.

What the Sunday People did has no impact on today's audience

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Some of this recent stuff on this thread highlights what's wrong. We are discussing things from a generation ago. Has no relevance to what happens today.

What the Sunday People did has no impact on today's audience

It was trying to pin-point a time when the decline started I think.  The biggest fall in national crowds was likely to be between 1980 - 1990 I feel.

Actually what's really wrong is patrolling forums just to 'police' other people's legitimate points of discussion. 

Edited by Grand Central

16 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

It was trying to pin-point a time when the decline started I think.  The biggest fall in national crowds was likely to be between 1980 - 1990 I feel.

You could well be right: the late 1960s and 1970s were the days of big crowds, without doubt.

I seem to remember in the 1980s sitting at home in King's Lynn  (5 miles from Saddlebow Rd) at 7.15pm and still being in the stadium for the first race.

12 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

I was fortunate at Oxford that during the middle late eighties we had a team that was chasing honours and that was reflected in good crowds at Cowley. However the winter of 1984/85 whereby Newcastle, Wimbledon, Eastbourne, Poole and Exeter dropped out of the British League decimated numbers operating although when travelling away with 'The Cheetahs' I didn't notice that crowds were necessarily down overall. However from the late eighties early nineties it started to become noticeable in my experience. Attendances fluctuated at Cowley during that period with highs and lows.

Whenever Oxford operated in the lower league attendances were never very good whether it was during the seventies, eighties or nineties.

25 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was fortunate at Oxford that during the middle late eighties we had a team that was chasing honours and that was reflected in good crowds at Cowley. However the winter of 1984/85 whereby Newcastle, Wimbledon, Eastbourne, Poole and Exeter dropped out of the British League decimated numbers operating although when travelling away with 'The Cheetahs' I didn't notice that crowds were necessarily down overall. However from the late eighties early nineties it started to become noticeable in my experience. Attendances fluctuated at Cowley during that period with highs and lows.

Whenever Oxford operated in the lower league attendances were never very good whether it was during the seventies, eighties or nineties.

Coincidence that all those teams dropped out of the big league the same year as the People investigation?  
To be fair the decline may have been more marked between 85-95.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 11:19 PM, montie said:

i hate to say it but......despite what a good product it is ,is it enough,   it really is a tough one

Its doomed. I cannot see how there can ever be a way back now.

9/10 tracks dont even get 1000 through the gates anymore. 

Think speedway is just not in with the times anymore, the fans who did attend have just got fed up with the constant watering down of the product, riders missing every week, rubbish race surfaces half the time, irregular home meetings, same teams visiting on the bounce, ancient presentation and music, pretty poor spectating facilities .... why would any new fans want to turn up every week taking that lot into account ?

I remember as a 9 year old first going to Newport, there was a meeting every week. And that was just Premier League level. The Mavericks were on every other Saturday in the Conference league. 

Youd rarely see a rider missing, and if they were it was for a genuine reason. None of this injured for one team and then suddenly fit again the next night for their other team. 

The sport is absolutely on its arse in the UK, and its hard to see any way out at all.

can you imagine attending your first meeting. One team has r/r , a national league guest at number one and a guest. The other also has r/r and guests . Your stood around on a cold winter night watching tractors going around listening to Wham or Duran Duran. Why the hell would you ever want to go back?

• Like 1

Having watched a Swedish league match on the box earlier the crowd seemed similar to UK meetings but the team strengths miles apart here we have Hans Andersen and Steve Masters as heat leaders in Sweden both at 6 & 7. 

I have similar ideas to most here about how to improve it , but what is it that the Swedish league does to attract pretty much all the top guys considering the gate revenue appears similar? 

Jeez we can't even get a British world champion elect to ride here these days!!

1 hour ago, rjsj9803 said:

Having watched a Swedish league match on the box earlier the crowd seemed similar to UK meetings but the team strengths miles apart here we have Hans Andersen and Steve Masters as heat leaders in Sweden both at 6 & 7. 

I have similar ideas to most here about how to improve it , but what is it that the Swedish league does to attract pretty much all the top guys considering the gate revenue appears similar? 

Jeez we can't even get a British world champion elect to ride here these days!!

Swedish crowds are far higher than UK crowds... not sure what their like when televised but seen the average crowds for each top flight club a few weeks ago and their a lot better than the UK crowds.