British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

Just now, moxey63 said:

Yes. All about opinions. I said cricket is a snore fest. Somebody else mentioned the crowd at 20/20 was pissed up at the business end. I am not ridiculing other sports to make speedway seem better. Speedway is exciting, but most things surrounding it are the embarrassment. We don't need gimmicks to liven it up... or to down several or so pints of the bar's finest. Speedway doesn't need to revert to X-Factor type of crowd pullers.

Lol ..no speedway needs to stay the same..we don't need any of the fans that 20 _20 get packing the staduim out .got to keep these sort of people out .

1 hour ago, orion said:

Why is cricket a snore fest .because you think so ? 20 -20 is one of the  most exciting sports there is and as well as people enjoying a drink there are  hugh a.amount fans who are families having a day or night out .one of the worst thing about this topics is clueless idiots trying to make  other excuses why other sports are doing well just because  they dont like or dont understand them .if you asked any sports fan worth there  salt if 20 -20 was a snooze fest they would laugh you out of town .

Bang on, Went to a T20 last night and didn't see anyone worse for wear, just enjoying a casual pint. Last night the attendance must have been made up of 50 % kids who all seemed to be enthusiastic and having a good time and their parents having no problem with a 9.45 pm finish. 

7 minutes ago, orion said:

Lol ..no speedway needs to stay the same..we don't need any of the fans that 20 _20 get packing the staduim out .got to keep these sort of people out .

What are the ticket prices at 20/20?

4 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

£19 for adults in advance u16 free, not much different to a night at the speedway

17 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Ok cost me 64 quid for four of us to go last week ? Why 

20 minutes ago, New Science said:

£19 for adults in advance u16 free, not much different to a night at the speedway

F^^k  me. Surrey charge from £29 - £32 for the cheapest pre-booked seats at the Oval with a fiver extra to pay on the day, and better seats will cost much more. No OAP discount. As a comparison the cheapest seat for a 5 day test is £270 rising to £372 for the dearest, where the first three days are £100 each. One for the persistently moaning wrinklies on BSF to digest. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Ore said:

F^^k  me. Surrey charge from £29 - £32 for the cheapest pre-booked seats at the Oval with a fiver extra to pay on the day, and better seats will cost much more. No OAP discount. As a comparison the cheapest seat for a 5 day test is £270 rising to £372 for the dearest, where the first three days are £100 each. One for the persistently moaning wrinklies on BSF to digest. 

Edgbaston were struggling to sell ticket weren't they for the first Test? 

Edgbaston hasn't had the crowds for T20 that other counties have enjoyed either. The Oval has always been a tad pricey compared to other grounds, but you can't argue with their attendances which are excellent. Nonsense to say T20 is a snorefest. The Cricket is generally exciting enough, but all the other aspects of the presentation and facilities are what help make it such a success.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, orion said:

One of the better to happen to speedway then ..nothing worse for the sport than some saps doing a war cry 

...no better or worse than football fans (often grown men and women) chanting banal songs!

Edited by steve roberts

4 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Yes. All about opinions. You're up on your high horse simply because you like cricket. Is that right? I said cricket is a snore fest. Somebody else mentioned the crowd at 20/20 was pissed up at the business end. Cricket is a snore fest, so they invented 20/20. Is that right? I am not ridiculing other sports to make speedway seem better. Speedway is exciting, but most things surrounding it are the embarrassment. We don't need gimmicks to liven it up... or to down several or so pints of the bar's finest. Speedway doesn't need to revert to X-Factor type of crowd pullers. It is just my opinion. Chill out. Almost weekend.

So, how many 20/20 matches have you been to?

What cricket did, and many other sports for that matter, realised that this is a new age and that you need to move with the times. I went to Bristol last Thursday to watch Gloucester v Middlesex (I would have been there tonight had the Swindon match not been re-arranged) as there was no speedway and saw best part of 400 runs. Ball smacked around, clearing the ropes, a century scored and people generally having a good time. There was a fair number of children in the crowd and enjoying the experience. The local radio station were there and offered a sofa to watch the cricket from inside the hoardings. Each innings is 1 hour 15 minutes, and if you don't adhere to the rules, you are penalised 5 runs for every over not bowled in the time frame. Music was a mix of modern and old songs, most of which were mentioned by a previous poster and created a loud and excited crowd, all played out in a vastly improved stadia.  No drunken idiots spoiling the game for anyone.

Now lets compare that with speedway (I will use Swindon as I frequent there). Music from the 70's and 80's. Tractor racing every 2 or 3 heats. Poor track preparation resulting in a less than exciting match. Rules applied inconsistently by referees from week to week. Hardly any children in attendance and full of people ready for God's waiting room. No media interest, apart from a couple of paragraphs in the local paper. All played out in a stadium that is outdated for the needs of the event. THAT IS A SNORE FEST.

Your entitled to your opinion, however, your opinion about cricket is no different to the vast majority of people saying 'speedway - first out of the gate wins'!

• Like 2

I wouldn't at all be surprised that a few hundred at any of the T20's were once attendees of Speedway at some point in their lives.

Well the events at Ipswich tonight just goes to show that this sport is too controlled by the riders and is surely gonna die! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theblueboy said:

So, how many 20/20 matches have you been to?

What cricket did, and many other sports for that matter, realised that this is a new age and that you need to move with the times. I went to Bristol last Thursday to watch Gloucester v Middlesex (I would have been there tonight had the Swindon match not been re-arranged) as there was no speedway and saw best part of 400 runs. Ball smacked around, clearing the ropes, a century scored and people generally having a good time. There was a fair number of children in the crowd and enjoying the experience. The local radio station were there and offered a sofa to watch the cricket from inside the hoardings. Each innings is 1 hour 15 minutes, and if you don't adhere to the rules, you are penalised 5 runs for every over not bowled in the time frame. Music was a mix of modern and old songs, most of which were mentioned by a previous poster and created a loud and excited crowd, all played out in a vastly improved stadia.  No drunken idiots spoiling the game for anyone.

Now lets compare that with speedway (I will use Swindon as I frequent there). Music from the 70's and 80's. Tractor racing every 2 or 3 heats. Poor track preparation resulting in a less than exciting match. Rules applied inconsistently by referees from week to week. Hardly any children in attendance and full of people ready for God's waiting room. No media interest, apart from a couple of paragraphs in the local paper. All played out in a stadium that is outdated for the needs of the event. THAT IS A SNORE FEST.

Your entitled to your opinion, however, your opinion about cricket is no different to the vast majority of people saying 'speedway - first out of the gate wins'!

If Swindon and speedway is that bad, and yet you pump up Cricket... why did you choose the re-arranged Swindon match tonight over the Cricket?

I agree with what you say about speedway, by he way. 

1 hour ago, Spl77 said:

Well the events at Ipswich tonight just goes to show that this sport is too controlled by the riders and is surely gonna die! 

What is going to get through to these so called riders. The fans have had enough and if these riders cannot control a bike in various conditions thrown at them then give up and find another way of earning a living. No respect, for those who are bringing the sport to its knees. Riders, promoters (with few exceptions) deserve each other. Soon you will be racing in front of no one having pissed off the loyal fans who foolishly stuck with it for far too long. To the riders and promoters I say you all owe the fans big time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

What is going to get through to these so called riders. The fans have had enough and if these riders cannot control a bike in various conditions thrown at them then give up and find another way of earning a living. No respect, for those who are bringing the sport to its knees. Riders, promoters (with few exceptions) deserve each other. Soon you will be racing in front of no one having pissed off the loyal fans who foolishly stuck with it for far too long. To the riders and promoters I say you all owe the fans big time.

But they risk their lives just to entertain you - you should be grateful and worship the ground they walk on. Or alternatively just go off and do something else like so many others do.

This will be the first year that I haven't attended any meetings since 1974. I am sure I am not missed though, along with the 14 other family members who started off missing a few weeks, then a few more, got out of the habit (because that's what I finally realised it had become, rather than a passion), and have also now stopped going.

A friend of mine went to Ipswich tonight and messaged me what had happened, it doesn't even surprise or shock people any more, it's a terrible shame. 

Edited by JC!