British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GregoryM

FREESPORTS HD

I asked this question within another thread, but no one has responded. Most probably that post hasn't been seen.

Has the Freesports HD channel started yet? I can't see anything on the Sky+ box and I thought I read somewhere that it was going to start on 12 May, but I maybe mistaken.

Would anyone have an idea or an update they've seen?

UPDATE April 2018: FreeSports had told users on social media that it now expects FreeSports HD to go live in June 2018.

Freesports  has been live for ages but only seems available  on a HD tv Freeview channel 95, see below for a few other channel options

https://www.freesports.tv/

Edited by A ORLOV

Premier Sports will be going HD in July on Virgin, along with the launch of Freesports in SD & HD.

"Premier Sports is available in 16 million UK homes across Sky and Virgin platforms and to everyone via the Premier Player https://www.premierplayer.tv/ while FreeSports will be available to 22 million UK homes from next season across seven different platforms.

In addition, FreeSports will turn High Definition on Sky and Virgin from July."

http://www.premiersports.com/pro-14/pro-14/

Thank you to all, much appreciated.

It was on Channel 95 last night Freesports and I greatly enjoyed the Polish match and to some extent the Swedish live match. Dave Goddard said it's on next week and he should know! Is PremierSport something different?

50 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

It was on Channel 95 last night Freesports and I greatly enjoyed the Polish match and to some extent the Swedish live match. Dave Goddard said it's on next week and he should know! Is PremierSport something different?

Premier sport is the main channel with freesports being a second channel run by Premier.  The commentary was for Premier so next week it is likely to be live on Premier and repeated later on 95..   Normally the speedway is shown on Premier on Sunday for Poland and Tues  for Sweden with the meetings repeated later in the week on Freesports, in the same way Quest used to show the meetings put out on Eurosport usually a day or two later but sometimes instead of the main channel where they showed a live meeting.  

Edited by A ORLOV

Yes, Premier Sports is the main channel and anything that is also carried on Freesports is something of a bonus. Having this on Virgin Media will be very useful. 

While Freesports is carried in an HD channel bundle on Freeview it is not actually in HD itself. It means you need an HD Freeview receiver to get it, even if it's only in SD. 

Their website mentions that the HD version will be on Sky and Virgin from July, but it doesn't mention it being on Freeview and it's never been realistically expected to be coming to Freeview - it doesn't have the spare capacity. Running HD in satellite and cable is much, much easier and cheaper. It's down to bandwidth. 

Yes it is confusing, even for those who monitor the media.....

Freesports have also taken out a full page ad in next week's Radio Times which pretty much repeats the website except it states that they hope to be on VM in July. 

It shows that Premier are prepared to invest in marketing their sister channel - and giving speedway a good mention.  I sometimes think that outsiders looking in on the sport like what they see far more than those already involved who perhaps look too deeply and too cynically. 

• Like 3

It states on the Freesports that site that it's on Sky Channel 424, we've got the full package on Sky (including BT Sports) and channel 424 is an unavailable channel. (It doesn't exist!) Is it going to 'go live' on this channel next month? 

Edited by Steve55

Free sports is on Channel 422 on sky 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DSC67 said:

We're talking about the High Definition (HD) version which isn't starting until July. 

3 hours ago, DSC67 said:

So it is! It's a mistake on their web site, should've trusted my own eyes!

Well I can wait for the HD channel:)

Edited by Steve55

Splendid Polish match last night, great racing, passionate fans and a Good Show all round on a track worthy of the Speedway RACING tag. Thank you, And the Swedish match on video to watch tonight.