British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Rye House Vs Kings Lynn Stars Mon 28/ 05/2018

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

£21.50 at Championship Edinburgh 

Sounds like a bidding war! So, which club will be the first to charge £25 ( inc. programme of course )? And likely be watched by 250 people.

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Not at £20 including prog, do you blame them.

Stay at home then!

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

I disagree,he has left it until he gets the biggest window in his racing calendar to get sorted properly.Whenever he gets the treatment he would be wrong in many peoples eyes.Daniel Smith says Rye fans have every right to feel mugged off,just imagine if Iversen left it until when Lynn had 4 or 6 meetings how many fans would he be saying they have mugged off then.He's done to limit the amount of meetings he would miss which imo is the correct one.

He chose to ride in a Polish league meeting 24 hours after the GP. He’s clearly not wanting to fulfil his obligations to Kings Lynn. If he was in that much pain after Saturday surely he’d have sat out his Polish meeting?

17 minutes ago, Shadders said:

He chose to ride in a Polish league meeting 24 hours after the GP. He’s clearly not wanting to fulfil his obligations to Kings Lynn. If he was in that much pain after Saturday surely he’d have sat out his Polish meeting?

Totally agree. It's the picking and choosing again. I have no problem with NKI not being at Rye, only about having a facility for a rider who clearly isn't injured enough to stop him riding.

• Like 1

I guarantee had Poole or any other club tried this, they would have been shot down by everybody as trying to pull a fast one. But when you have the Chairman of the BSPA own club doing it, who is going to challenge the decision. Had Chapman been told that only a NL rider could be used as a replacement, without doubt, NKI would have ridden at Rye tonight.

40 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Now I understand why we are stuck with Fixed Race nights so Grand Prix riders can grace us with their presence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever Niels does will be wrong in some people's eyes. If he rode tonight there would be some saying he should ride on Tuesday in Sweden and Wednesday at kings lynn .If he has to have treatment then he has to have treatment. end of. Racing speedway is his livelihood and so with that in mind I'm pretty sure he will take time out when it has the least impact. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

I am not able to travel to away meetings, so should I boycott watching it on BT to make a stand? It's not televised speedway that is dragging down UK racing, it's no brainer promoters who live in 1975. Speedway is about the only sport which claims that being televised is "bad" for it. I greatly enjoy most televised speedway meetings because I prefer to watch the replays and be informed about what has happened during the meeting - instead of the "over in a flash" incidents and total lack of information after the race except about who was first, second or third ( which of course we were able to see anyway ). I would never suggest that it's no-brainer to watch live or on TV each to his or her own. More tracks will close down in the UK, but not because of race meetings on TV.

My point was that IF you can get to the track then watch it live. IF you cannot get to the meeting for any reason then the TV is a good way to see racing and there is no way I would suggest you boycott TV when you cannot get to a meeting. I wish I had BT Sport so I could watch racing from other parts of the country when there is no racing I can get to see live. IF I had BT Sport then I would go to the meeting and then watch a recording to check out any incidents.

My late father used to have all the available TV sports channels and spent a lot of time watching them but he always prefered to watch any sport live and I think he was right. Speedway comes across very well on TV and is great for advertising the sport but if most of the regular fans stop going to the meetings so they can watch the racing on TV then Speedway is in trouble unless the loss of revenue is made up by the TV company and at present I don't think that is true.

• Like 1

For U.K. Speedway to survive & even prosper it has have CREDIBILITY riders missing meetings with very flimsy excuses should no longer be tolerated.

Fine the rider & the team "say" £250 each, if it happens again DOUBLE the fine.

I also find it unbelievable that the BSPA own website portray the use of guest  as a news item! can this please be stopped ASAP.

I have said this before, if say 3 riders of the same team are known not to be available meetings should be rearranged. 

• Like 3

Are there a lot of thick people on here? Can't they grasp that Iversen has a shoulder injury , and needs treatment?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mrss said:

Are there a lot of thick people on here? Can't they grasp that Iversen has a shoulder injury , and needs treatment?

I don't think they are "thick" as we all know he has a shoulder injury.. The point some of us are concerned about is that his commitment to UK racing seems weak as he chose to carry on riding with the injury in Poland ( for 4 X the rate of UK pay ) and then stops riding for two weeks. He is not really missing the SON because on his current form other Danish riders will likely do as well as him and they are poorly paid fixtures. Nothing wrong with dropping the lowest paid work but the club and him should be more open about it. This "window of opportunity" means he will not miss Polish fixtures which is very convenient for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

Now I understand why we are stuck with Fixed Race nights so Grand Prix riders can grace us with their presence.

FIXED race nights was primarily to stop riders who double up being wanted by two teams on the same night. Where are the GP riders "gracing us with their presence" as a result of FRNs?

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This season I'm picking and choosing my meetings which I've never done before. Thought about this meeting tonight and decided to 'do an Iversen' and stay at home watching on TV.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FIXED race nights was primarily to stop riders who double up being wanted by two teams on the same night. Where are the GP riders "gracing us with their presence" as a result of FRNs?

There might well have been several of them except for, after setting up FRNs ( which was quoted as being one other bonus from FRNs ) the BSPA bought in the "one over the eight" rule. That completely destroyed the possibility of more GP riders joining UK teams. And of course the "paltry" few quid on offer here might have something to do with it. We are regularly told that UK riders must double up to maintain their level of income and lifestyle ( until they get a team spot in Poland ).