British Speedway Forum
Sings4Speedway

I.O.W vs Kent 24/05/2018

Interesting encounter tonight on the Island. Morley on Championship duty may be the telling factor as Ayres isn't quite as dominant but Kent have been sporting and booked Nick Laurence at reserve. 

The Warriors are starting to fire as a unit and the enforced changes at reserve probably makes them stronger. Much of the match will swing on the engine rooms with who comes out on top between Widman & Verge vs Rowe & Hampshire.

Ayres is pretty dominant on the island, from the gate or from the back. Let's hope this meeting avoids the wet stuff currently on the south coast.

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Interesting encounter tonight on the Island. Morley on Championship duty may be the telling factor as Ayres isn't quite as dominant but Kent have been sporting and booked Nick Laurence at reserve. 

The Warriors are starting to fire as a unit and the enforced changes at reserve probably makes them stronger. Much of the match will swing on the engine rooms with who comes out on top between Widman & Verge vs Rowe & Hampshire.

Hardly interesting, in a meaningless  fixture?

1 hour ago, blueherb777 said:

Try telling that to the IOW promotion. Sadly nothing is going their way at present with Campos withdrawn and Morley taking a trip to hospital after being taken out at redcar 

4 hours ago, blueherb777 said:

It's a speedway match! Don't you like speedway? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It's a speedway match! Don't you like speedway? 

It is not the case of liking Speedway.

Too many things to list about what I do not like about Speedway.

My point about this fixture is the National Trophy fixture`s farce.Both IOW and Kent already are out of the competition,yet both have meaningless fixtures to come.

25 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

It is not the case of liking Speedway.

Too many things to list about what I do not like about Speedway.

My point about this fixture is the National Trophy fixture`s farce.Both IOW and Kent already are out of the competition,yet both have meaningless fixtures to come.

Whilst meaningless in terms of the competition not meaningless in terms of the teams performances and comparisons between each other. Danny Ayres has been the favoured guest for IOW at present but was shown the way by Bowen & Stoneman so maybe a change of bookings in future? Both sides tracked guest reserves and this "meaningless" fixture gave them a chance to assess the prospects. Danno Verge used the fixture to prove he is settling on the island and can battle for points whilst sadly Widman suffered a night of retirements maybe he will finally be able to work out what the issues are? 

The result may seem irreverent to some but to others it will have an impact on many future events.

• Like 1

Unfortunatly this IOW  side is toothless without Ben Morley ..Hopefully he wiil not be out for to long, And i know he will try to be back as soon as possible as he loves the club and every one involved there.....,The standard of guests used are not going to cover his points,,and some of the team need to be told to get their finger out,or go,,continual changes at the bottom end are not working either,,,Its a shame because the otherwise excellent management here just do not seem to have the clout to attract the right riders to the club.. 

Exactly City Rebel that is what i meant by the word clout.....

1 hour ago, waco said:

Unfortunatly this IOW  side is toothless without Ben Morley ..Hopefully he wiil not be out for to long, And i know he will try to be back as soon as possible as he loves the club and every one involved there.....,The standard of guests used are not going to cover his points,,and some of the team need to be told to get their finger out,or go,,continual changes at the bottom end are not working either,,,Its a shame because the otherwise excellent management here just do not seem to have the clout to attract the right riders to the club.. 

1 hour ago, waco said:

Who would you tell to go, who would you tell to pull their finger out and who would you replace these riders with 

Edited by Toxic

Rider-wise, IOW suffer from their location. They are a long trip from everywhere plus only an 11pm ferry normally to get back.

So very late night driving. Not easy to pick up good youngsters with that obstacle. All the more reason to have a higher team average

so that there is not the need to find fresh new kids all the time.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, cityrebel said:

Or the finances...

I think Isle of Wight's finances - and I don't know this for certain - will probably be comparable with most of the NL. 

East End Fan is more close to the truth. A midweek track with, effectively, an 11pm departure time makes it far harder to attract riders than a weekend track when you leave at 5 or 9.30pm. 

Hi all,

our greatest challenge is our location sadly, and we too understand what its like to travel as we do it week in week out, throw in to the mix speedway schools, shows, and my normal job things are pretty stressful and time is always tight. Now, I am the first to admit we have not performed on the track... few of you will know what it is like in the build up to a meeting do the best you can for your club, fans, sponsors and rider and then get totally hammered.... it sucks, it hurts, it make me personally want to drive for miles and miles.... but then we get emails thanking us for a great night out, how much the kids love coming to the island, how much the first "education destination" group loved their visit and then there is our school.... all of which helps.... we dont have a magic wand, we are not millionaires prepared to bankroll the club - it must pay for itself. We cannot offer points money I hear of, engines, frame kits, - all of our riders tyres come from sponsorship (mainly My First Skid) as does the fuel.

Going back to the point.... the island isnt an attactive trip every week.... once or twice a season I imagine its great and riders love it, but weekly its not so easy. The riders who come here must be prepared to go that extra little bit and in return they have 20 plus meetings at home.

In all honesty I am not sure what the answer is, I hope our form returns (although we know we struggle as reserve and I have some, I think, interesting ideas for this for the next AGM) and our riders start to do justice for all the effort that everyone, including themselves, put in to the club.

Many thanks

Barry

• Like 9