British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership • Swindon v Somerset • 28/05/18

13 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Total thrashing, fantastic weather and crowd 2500-3000. Well done Morra beating Doyley twice, as Batch loses to him 3 times. Great from Zach, Dave.

Joint top with Wolves.

Crowd as good as that ?? Great if it was, UK speedway needs it. Good to hear.

Edited by Bald Bloke

5 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Crowd as good as that ?? Great if it was, UK speedway needs it. Good to hear.

Wasn't there myself tonight but bank holiday and good weather usually means a very crowd at Blunsdon. 

A very dull meeting indeed. Wish I'd stayed home and saved the money and done something else instead. Racing mostly consisted of all riders following each other for 3.5 laps. Somerset hopeless with no fight in them, except Doyley of course, plus the odd bit of Holder and Wilson-Dean.

Allen + Wright + Lawson + Jeppesen = just 7 points total between the four of them.

Highlight of the meeting for me was seeing Mitch Shirra interviewed on centre green during the first break. Brilliant rider and a huge name from the 70s/80s for those of us who remember back that far.

Good crowd but no way was it as high as 2500+ in my opinion.

5 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

The Jack Smith experiment doesn’t seem to be working, maybe a chance for another 2 pointer. 

Aaaaand he’s back....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

The Jack Smith experiment doesn’t seem to be working, maybe a chance for another 2 pointer. 

What dont you get? Any 2 pointer will do exactly the same as Jack. We need to stick with him and hopefully by play off time hes scoring a few. Would be ridiculous to change now.

• Like 2

I expected a closer meeting with the Rebels having a few ex-Robins and others that ride Blunsdon well.  Well done to Nick - a paid max including 2 wins over WC Doyle.

Great result!

• Like 1

Believe it or not I actually want Jack to succeed at Swindon, I understand he is a work in progress. I think signing him as a asset would be a clever move in the long term. He can definitely gate, just seems low on power compared to the rest.

• Like 1

What was pleasing was the distances Nick led Jason by in heats 1 and 13, the scores of all the other Robins, apart from Jack who will pick things up, especially Zach beating some higher average riders and being 2 points off a paid max.

Who was the idiot who wanted to get rid of David ?  

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rebelwonderkid said:

Sadly we need changes. We are ok at home but sadly too far off the pace away from home. It's a shame as they are nice guys and can be good riders but that only goes so far. 

Congrats to Swindon though can only beat what's in front of them. 

So on the basis of this one meeting at Swindon, the Rebels need to make changes, do they?

In that case, so do the Robins last three opponents at the Abbey......

Rye House LOST 59-31

Wolverhampton LOST 51-39

Poole LOST 50-39

Even Belle Vue lost 52-38 in the Charity Shield

In fact, only Kings Lynn posted a score in the 40's. I think you're confusing being well beaten by a very good team on their own patch, with the Rebels being a bad team, which they certainly are not. If you go back over the seasons, this is a typical overreaction by yourself to a poor performance by the Rebels, although one which is in keeping with most other visitors to Wiltshire this season.

To be honest, the Rebels five performances away from home have been mixed, but OK & no worse than expected in some cases, they took a point at Rye House, with Jake Allen injured & withdrawn after his first ride. They took a point at Belle Vue, in a meeting they could have drawn, or even won, with a little good fortune. The others are not pretty reading, I'll grant you, but apart from away to Leicester, I certainly wouldn't have expected more at Wolverhampton, where the Rebels have been humped on most visits (or, in fact, all visits), and last night, which I've already covered.

So for me, no they don't need to make changes, and if they did, I'd certainly trust Garry May to choose the right time to do it, which for me is not now.

Wake up Kelvin, and don't be so soft!

Edited by womble53
  • Like 1

I certainly don't think any changes are required. This team is capable of hammering just about anybody at home on their day and picking up the odd point here and there. They just need a couple of wins and that would be enough for the play offs I would imagine assuming we keep our home form up.

There is no doubting Richard Lawson needs to up his game however. He's scoring very well for Lakeside but another poor away score. He is on paper our main back up to Doyley and he hasn't been doing it at home or away as of yet. It was suggested the other day and I think a swap between him and Jack Holder in the riding order would be of much more benefit.

• Like 2

Rebels had Wajtknecht for a while if my memory is correct, shame we could not keep him as a good score tonight and he is a local lad from Bristol.

9 hours ago, womble53 said:

So on the basis of this one meeting at Swindon, the Rebels need to make changes, do they?

Rye House LOST 59-31

Wolverhampton LOST 51-39

Poole LOST 50-39

In fact, only Kings Lynn posted a score in the 40's. I think you're confusing being well beaten by a very good team on their own patch, with the Rebels being a bad team, which they certainly are not. If you go back over the seasons, this is a typical overreaction by yourself to a poor performance by the Rebels, although one which is in keeping with most other visitors to Wiltshire this season.

To be honest, the Rebels five performances away from home have been mixed, but OK & no worse than expected in some cases, they took a point at Rye House, with Jake Allen injured & withdrawn after his first ride. They took a point at Belle Vue, in a meeting they could have drawn, or even won, with a little good fortune. The others are not pretty reading, I'll grant you, but apart from away to Leicester, I certainly wouldn't have expected more at Wolverhampton, where the Rebels have been humped on most visits (or, in fact, all visits), and last night, which I've already covered.

So for me, no they don't need to make changes, and if they did, I'd certainly trust Garry May to choose the right time to do it, which for me is not now.

Just my opinion, we don't have the top end strength away from home. Garry May said in his statement on the website that he doesn't think we look strong enough away from home. I don't see it as a typical overaction at all just an honest point of view. 

21 hours ago, womble53 said:

Rye House LOST 59-31

Wolverhampton LOST 51-39

Poole LOST 50-39

I think its you that needs to wake up, as to make such a rubbish statement,  you obviously were not there.  This Rebels performance was pathetic, the worst team I have seen at The Abbey this season.   Allen and Lawson just appeared to be not trying,  Wright a mere shadow of the rider when he was with us and Jeppeson clueless.   Losing is not a sin, but its how you lose that matters and apart from Doyle, Holder and Wilson Dean this team was really poor.  So unless you were there, you have no idea how bad the Rebels were. 

You have a wonderful following of supporters, who are a credit to Somerset and speedway and definitely deserve better from their team.

I think I may even have spied the Confederate  flag, good on you guys, you deserve a decent team.