British Speedway Forum

Thought I’d get some meaningful insight on here, but instead have had to wade through a treacle of abuse to read anything sensible. :rolleyes:

Great night in Toruń, good atmosphere and the Poles we met were quite gracious considering what was at stake. Best heat one I’ve seen in a GP which set the tone for an exciting evening. Laguta and Smarzlik on 12 each after 4 rides made heat 19 tense. Laguta was brilliant and a shame he didn’t go through the card, but can’t deny Woffinden the glory after making life more difficult than it perhaps should have been. Pleased Lindgren got a medal, some may think he is border line but he worked hard to come back from a serious injury. Also pleased Sayfutdinov gets another go next year. Even Chris Holder won a heat to sign off with.

So congratulations to Tai, to Smarzlik for making it interesting, and to all 8 who qualified for next year. Following the GPs around Europe where possible is great fun, and would encourage anyone to save up and try it. Here’s to next season.

Edited by Tactical Joker
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Well done ty cant compare him with other champions from my era the 70s as they all rode in britain without trying to run the sport for their own benifit, just a tbought.

You can hes better... 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Lets hope he is seen on the bbc breakfast news next week or at least gets some type of mention on the bbc or itv. The least he deserves. 

Really he should be selected on spoty but we all know he wont even get a mention.

Totally agree with everything you say Steve. It is a shame because a British World Champion being given publicity in mainstream TV could just be what introduces a new generation of followers to our sport. 

BBC Breakfast showed a clip of the racing, Tai's crash, and a brief interview with Woffinden this morning.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eyejay said:

Totally agree with everything you say Steve. It is a shame because a British World Champion being given publicity in mainstream TV could just be what introduces a new generation of followers to our sport. 

I don't think a one off appearance on breakfast TV will have much of an effect on the sport. 

My dad said the same thing last night. It's just a good excuse for a moan. If he doesnt get invited on you can get upset. Or if he does get invited on for a brief interview with no real insight then you get another moan. I think the days if Kenny Carter on TV-AM have passed

Was there any speedway fans left in Britain last night, think most were in Torun last night, even sat a few seats away from buster last night , Torun is a must do event for any fan, decent racing, good atmosphere, well done woffinden, a deserved winner and a deserved world champion 

• Like 1

Great to have a 3 times World Champion who is British.

Well done Tai and pleasing to see your next target is back to back wins!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Carter said:

I don't think a one off appearance on breakfast TV will have much of an effect on the sport. 

My dad said the same thing last night. It's just a good excuse for a moan. If he doesnt get invited on you can get upset. Or if he does get invited on for a brief interview with no real insight then you get another moan. I think the days if Kenny Carter on TV-AM have passed

I agree about a one off on breakfast time, but SPOTY reaches a bigger audience. A mention plus a look at how he achieved his title, ie some clips may just do the trick. Maybe breakfast time and SPOTY? 

13 hours ago, Gavan said:

Do they lol 

Reported you anyway just for a laugh as you enjoy a bit of banter 

See there you go again what a spineless twerp you really are, you can dish it but you can't take it go perv over some more Twitter!

Well done to Tai, and congrats to Zmarzlik and Lindgren. Still felt comfortable for Woffinden even when Zmarzlik was getting closer, he wasn't making great starts and Laguta looked quicker so was always likely he'd drop some points, and Tai has proved he can handle the pressure.

Good to see that article which was on the homepage of the BBC Sport website until recently but apparently Tai won his semi-final and Freddie Williams is English :unsure:

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

:)

Tai Woffinden, Three Time World Champion :)

Britains Finest :)

The ultra professional and a shining example to the youth of today that if you have a dream and work hard enough to achieve it you can do just that.

yawn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orbiter said:

See there you go again what a spineless twerp you really are, you can dish it but you can't take it go perv over some more Twitter!

I can take anything buddy but start saying slanderous stuff and lies about my personal life then you will get what’s coming simple as

Tai was brilliant and a deserved winner. He is without doubt the best rider of the current era and I think he will add to his 3 titles but you really can't compare him with  riders of different eras. I have seen the best since the mid 50's and there is no way you can realistically say how someone like Fundin would fare today on completely different machinery, different racing surfaces and against different opposition.

I would say that Mauger is the best I have seen. Not only because of his 6 titles but because of the way he dominated the sport week in and week out both domestically and at international level for so many years but it's an opinion not a fact. The is no-one today who dominates as he did but that doesn't guarantee that he would have shone so brightly with the changes that have occurred since he retired. I think he would but the truth is nobody knows for certain. It's the same in reverse. We don't know with certainty how Tai would have done in the 50/60's when riders had more or less the same standard equipment, tracks were deeper and the best in the world rode in the UK on the many and varied tracks that were different shapes and sizes. I think he would have done well but good enough to match the like of Fundin, Briggs, Craven and Moore, I don't know and neither does anyone else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adonis said:

yawn

I understand, you've been up all night celebrating the achievements of Britains most successful ever World Champion.

• Like 1