British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, MARK246 said:

That's because of the GP mindset, second place is good enough. How to take an extreme, winner takes all sport and turn it in to something so dull. 

Yep, this gp series has been incredibly dull, and clearly it is because riders like Woffy dont have a winning mindset...

2 hours ago, MARK246 said:

That's because of the GP mindset, second place is good enough. How to take an extreme, winner takes all sport and turn it in to something so dull. 

Or a more accurate way to look at it would be that in the old one of world final if you had one bad race the jig was up and you might as well start packing up your van. In SGP every point counts so riders race hard through the whole meeting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MARK246 said:

I wasn't talking about GPs i meant league racing ,the top boys of those days would have been disgraced by 5 points in a league match

34 minutes ago, adonis said:

I wasn't talking about GPs i meant league racing ,the top boys of those days would have been disgraced by 5 points in a league match

Well let's face it, that's understandable given how much easier it was given the heat format and lower standard compared to what Woffy races in Sweden and Poland...

Mauger with his consistency would probably have won more world titles if it had been in GP form when he rode.

10 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Mauger with his consistency would probably have won more world titles if it had been in GP form when he rode.

68-70,72-74. Any other years? But agree somewhat, for the top couple of riders in world the gp system would favour them. Everyone else had a better chance in a one off final.

31 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

68-70,72-74. Any other years? But agree somewhat, for the top couple of riders in world the gp system would favour them. Everyone else had a better chance in a one off final.

There's a case to be made for Michanek in 73, and I think Mauger's experience might have given him the advantage over Olsen in 71 across a whole season.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

There's a case to be made for Michanek in 73, and I think Mauger's experience might have given him the advantage over Olsen in 71 across a whole season.

Agreed. So ending with 5-7 titles? Maybe would have got close 75-78 but likely to be the olsen/Collins years?

There is a strong possibility that Ove Fundin would have won every year from 1956 - 1963, making eight in all. The only interruption to that could have been Briggo in 57 and/or 58.

2 minutes ago, norbold said:

There is a strong possibility that Ove Fundin would have won every year from 1956 - 1963, making eight in all. The only interruption to that could have been Briggo in 57 and/or 58.

Briggs would have probably won in 67 though.

34 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Briggs would have probably won in 67 though.

Yes, that's why I didn't include 67!

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2018 at 9:49 AM, adonis said:

I must have been lucky,or unlucky if you like.I made one trip to Cradley and after beating Nielsen in the Golden Helmet,Gundersen then went on to get around 5 or 6 in the meeting against Oxford.I also went to Reading and you know what Per Jonsson got about 5 or 6 points!!!

Obviously you are underestimating the impact as I am still talking about those meetings decades after lol

Another great trip to Torun, good weather , friendly people, nice food and the beer! plus the prices of food and drink.:)

Oh and the Speedway was first class too, not so good was the Polish chap dancing and cheering when Tai fell off!