British Speedway Forum
ellioth4

Glasgow Vs Edinburgh KO Cup 27/05/2018

Very very disappointing . To end up out of the cup after being 11 points ahead on the day is shocking . Saying that , Wells and E Riss were outstanding and our big hitters were found wanting when it really mattered . 

• Like 2

The team is far too inconsistent, for every good meeting there will be more days like today just around the corner.

Alas the downward spiral started the day Stewart left in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gazc said:

The team is far too inconsistent, for every good meeting there will be more days like today just around the corner.

Alas the downward spiral started the day Stewart left in my opinion.

It's fair to say that Monarchs done most of the passing,like you say Inconsistant fromTigers big guns,Jack Thomas was impressive though.

8 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Very very disappointing . To end up out of the cup after being 11 points ahead on the day is shocking . Saying that , Wells and E Riss were outstanding and our big hitters were found wanting when it really mattered . 

When you spend almost all your points on a powerhouse 1-5 and they get out gunned in the money heats, this is often the outcome. Its time to say thanks for your efforts but things arent working out for at least one of this team. Harris's average must be tanking, making him even harder to replace.

It's a bit like the 2004 team all over again .

4 minutes ago, MD said:

When you spend almost all your points on a powerhouse 1-5 and they get out gunned in the money heats, this is often the outcome. Its time to say thanks for your efforts but things arent working out for at least one of this team. Harris's average must be tanking, making him even harder to replace.

I know there were issues and perhaps Lawson wanting away,but he is a big loss IMO ,very consistent gater and scored well at home,even Summers was consistent at Ashfield .Winning at home is important nowadays .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paulco said:

It's a bit like the 2004 team all over again .

Indeed, didnt we dispense with George Stancl in June that year after a woeful run of EF's?

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

I know there were issues and perhaps Lawson wanting away,but he is a big loss IMO ,very consistent gater and scored well at home,even Summers was consistent at Ashfield .Winning at home is important nowadays .

Fair point about Lawson but Worrall was always the favourite unfortunately. I'll disagree about Summers, who was pretty shocking at home, the low point being turned over home and away by Nathan Greaves in the Ipswich matches. There are no easy answers here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

No chance of many monarchs fans coming through which is a shame as they will do well today. There 2 reserves will outscore James and Jack and Wells and the risss have all scored well. So a lot tighter than blobby is suggesting and being an afternoon match who knows what will happen, think Workington 

Well I did say this would be close and to be fair to Edinburgh josh pickering gifted us points in heats 2 and 14 and we still couldn't take advantage. I know theres reasons but 2.5 hours for a match, covered in dust and you wonder how many will come back. Only decent race heat 10 with Harris riding well. So surprised at criticism of him on Facebook and forum. Paid 8 from 3 then crashed due to the track and came out in 15 cos Worrall wouldn't. The manager needs to realise their is more to the job than celebrating wins. Needs to earn respect from fans and riders, not easy 

1 hour ago, MD said:

1.  There are 3.5 points between Sarjeant as senior reserve and the next averaged rider, an impossible bridge to gap

2. Sarjeant is what he is, a 3 point rider, bar his time at Ipswich

3.  The other glaring issue is Harris, I dont believe for a minute he was a Dickson signing having suffered previously with a so called big name on the wane in Joe Screen. The only consistency is his inconsistency, we really dont want to hear any more about engines.

4.  This is where the team manager earns his stripes, new averages next week, crunch the numbers, make some calls and make some positive changes if available.

To answer your points.

1.  Can't have it every which way though.  In going for a strong top 5, it naturally leaves less to play with for the reserve slots.  Alternative is to have only a strong top 3 or 4 and more of an even spread.  If the lowest of the top 5 is say around 6.5 and the senior reserve about 3.5, this is obviously a total for the fifth and sixth rider of a combined 10 points.  If its more evenly spread then its gonna be such as 5.50 and 4.50, or 5.25 and 4.75, etc, still using up 10 points.  Its all swings and roundabouts.  it isn't as if Glasgow's team was well under the points limit , it was exactly as the points limit was it not.  After that you're hoping for riders to maintain or improve their average, and that being the case I honestly don't think it greatly matters what the initial configuration is so long as all the of the points limit is used up or close to it and at least a couple of riders improve on their starting averages and the rest at least maintain theirs, I honestly don't think the initial spread greatly matters, for every one you increase or have a stronger rider there's another position that has to be a lesser starting average and probably weaker.

2.  They were anticipating an increase in average, or at least hat he would maintain his starting average, think he's increased it so far has he not.

3.  You seem to be referring to 2013 season when Screen retired early before the end of the season.  You've overlooked that in his first season with the Tigers in 2011, Screen was very potent and one of the main reasons why Glasgow won the 2011 league title, Screen also won the Pairs that year with Grieves, so it isn't a fair comparison, Screen was still a very very potent and capable rider when he joined Glasgow in 2011.

4.  We can hope.

3 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Well I did say this would be close and to be fair to Edinburgh josh pickering gifted us points in heats 2 and 14 and we still couldn't take advantage. I know theres reasons but 2.5 hours for a match, covered in dust and you wonder how many will come back. Only decent race heat 10 with Harris riding well. So surprised at criticism of him on Facebook and forum. Paid 8 from 3 then crashed due to the track and came out in 15 cos Worrall wouldn't. The manager needs to realise their is more to the job than celebrating wins. Needs to earn respect from fans and riders, not easy 

Only decent race Ht 10! What match were you at?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Only decent race Ht 10! What match were you at?

OK the kids race was good but apart from that I'd have to ask you to name them although to be fair the dust didn't help so might have missed some of thrilling action 

Edited by SharpenRake
  • Like 1

Today was the worst dust bowl conditions I have ever seen in over 30 years of watching speedway. I will not be back on a sunny afternoon again. Thank goodness for Friday nights. Mind you our team will be lucky to make the playoffs riding like they did today.Overall very disappointed

Only my opinion,but Pickering had a couple of good races Riss brothers were in the thick of it .Open Stand on exit from 4th bend was dust free,check the flags and move accordingly .

Wells was boring 5good gates!!!!!

bet your wishing some of the Tigers were boring.!