British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Kings Lynn Vs Somerset: Wed : 30-05-2018

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

For the sake of a small sentence on their  website, or a quick Tweet ,   every Tom Dick and Harry that was going to the speedway would have been aware of the foreseeable problems..  

How you can back them in this instance is beyond me.......        There was only one reason we were not told, and we all know why that was.....

Do you honestly believe that everyone there last night views the King's Lynn website or twitter.

31 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

No idea how old Drew Kemp is but his NL scoring has been really really good too

Still only 15 is 16 on 11th Aug. Can't sign for any team I think until then other than his NL side. Has also been doing  studying as missed a N/L meeting the other week for exams.

I have been flwg him and a number of other bright young riders of 15/16 this season as we suddenly seem to have some  really exciting youth coming through. At least 5/6 of them.

Think he is a big Ipswich Fan as did a lot of his practicing on their track between meetings before he cld sign for Mildenhall at 15 (this season). I am a Poole Fan even though based in Chelmsford and would love to see him signed if we ever go down the use of N/L riders route within a restructured  set up with  2 N/L riders under 20 per team or in one big league with something similar.

However I think he may be set for Ipswich wherever they are next season. One certainly on the  radar big time as think he is more advanced than Bewley was at his age. In fact Bewley is an old man compared to him having just turned 19 :D. Others to watch out for are Flint - Jenkins - Edwards - Brennan - Bickley - All are in the 15/17 range. Also don't discount Jack P.Blackburn who looked a real star for the future before his partner had a child and he kind of gave up prior to season start. Now back with Birmingham and still only 17. Thought JPB was also Norfolk based (at one stage anyway).

If it's a choice between Kasper, Josh or Wilko I'd rather we stick with Andersen and try to develop him and help him improve. As with most riders who are struggling he just isn't gating well enough, if somebody can do some work with him to improve that he'll be far more competitive. There may come a time this year where he need to be stood down but it' far too early for that now IMO.

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's not about losing, it's not about the management being nice etc etc. 

Andersen has had 6 matches and only averaging 2.60. That's shouldn't be acceptable. 

His scoring has been to the standard of a rider from the NL, that can't be denied.

IMO Josh Bailey should be given a crack. If we can afford to carry a 2.5 point rider 100% Josh Bailey should be in.

I am with you Daniel    Andersen should not keep his place if you are going to persevere with somebody Bailey should be in.Just like young Greaves at Wolves they showed faith in him and he is steadily improving i don't think Andersen would average 6 in the Championship.

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Still only 15 is 16 on 11th Aug. Can't sign for any team I think until then other than his NL side. Has also been doing  studying as missed a N/L meeting the other week for exams.

I have been flwg him and a number of other bright young riders of 15/16 this season as we suddenly seem to have some  really exciting youth coming through. At least 5/6 of them.

Think he is a big Ipswich Fan as did a lot of his practicing on their track between meetings before he cld sign for Mildenhall at 15 (this season). I am a Poole Fan even though based in Chelmsford and would love to see him signed if we ever go down the use of N/L riders route within a restructured  set up with  2 N/L riders under 20 per team or in one big league with something similar.

However I think he may be set for Ipswich wherever they are next season. One certainly on the  radar big time as think he is more advanced than Bewley was at his age. In fact Bewley is an old man compared to him having just turned 19 :D. Others to watch out for are Flint - Jenkins - Edwards - Brennan - Bickley - All are in the 15/17 range. Also don't discount Jack P.Blackburn who looked a real star for the future before his partner had a child and he kind of gave up prior to season start. Now back with Birmingham and still only 17. Thought JPB was also Norfolk based (at one stage anyway).

Out of all the young riders so far Bickley seems to have found it harder than anyone which is really surprising but he is still young along time to still keep improving.But there is real hope for the future riders who can get to at least  full time Championship level minimum.Kemp,Flint,Hume,Brennan,Jenkins,Edwards,Parkinson Blackburn,Wood,Brooks,Burden,Mountain,Kinsley,Hampshire,Rowe,Powell (etc) 

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I watch NL racing and agree that those mentioned are outstanding prospects and the future could look bright for GB. I hope that they all eventually go to clubs who will take the time and make the effort to help them develop their talent and not just have their heads turned by the best financial offers. Plenty of time to think about money when they have reached a good standard.

You are also correct about Dan Bewley not being as advanced as Kemp at his age because Dan didn't have his first ride on a speedway bike until he was 16 and his first competitive race until 2016. It will be brilliant if some of the others could match Dan and get to the level he has currently reached in their third season.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Star Lady said:

It has been well publicised on local social media and newspapers that there would be odd days when the roads would be closed following the main closures. You simply have to read those papers or follow The appropriate twitter feeds, Norfolk Highways is quite good :)

as it happens I travel a lot and as a matter of routine check the highways sites before setting off. Maybe I'm just more organised but I believe in being self sufficient, and don't expect venues to tell me of every possible traffic problem.

would you honestly expect say Theatre Royal Norwich to issue traffic bulletins on their website?

Living in the Fenland area of Cambridgeshire my local papers surprisingly don't mention Kings Lynn roadworks!

It would have been good to know and have turned right as I left the stadium. I then thought I would go around the roundabout and head back .... Nope!! Only one possible exit into Lynn. Not really knowing the town I followed the one and only diversion sign I saw which eventually took me to the big interchange with the A10, Ah I thought 'get on the A47 westbound there ..... Nope, more cones!!

So back into Lynn, no diversion signs and not a clue how to get through the town .... Took a chance and followed the highest number of other cars ... Amazingly went past McDonalds and to my joy was allowed on the A47!!

A bit of warning or even a few signs would have helped!!

Back to speedway ... Really enjoyed the meeting and Lambert's never say die attitude!!

• Like 1

Last night was the first time I have attended at Lynn for some time. There were a few things that stood out for me.

• The crowd seemed pretty big, and there was a fair mixture of young and old, including a few faces I hadn't seen for a while - I'm looking at you Telboy
  • Car Park was fairly muddy.
  • The programme was a marked improvement on previous years I would suggest. Well produced, and good value at £3
  • Presentation of the meeting as a whole was slick, and seemed to progress at a reasonable pace. Not too much tractor racing.
  • Track looked pretty good, and there was some racing for those brave enough.
  • Robert Lambert seems to be developing a good racing brain, and was obviously thinking races through instead of just charging in.
  • Lewis Kerr was very lucky that Jack Holder dropped it so quickly. That could of been nasty.

I'm more than a little surprised by some of the comments around traffic to get out. When you arrive, drive past the works compound with lots of equipment & activity, don't be surprised that Roadworks appear. Those roadworks were by the Highways agency, and they really could make the BSPA look very organised & efficient. I live quite close to the A1 & A14 where as many of you know there are major roadworks. They release daily bulletins on closures & diversions etc. However, they are never accurate. A common feature is that they announce roads will be closed at 21:00 > 06:00 on specific stretches. You never know what time they will close them though, sometimes at 20:00. Now that does confuse people. Any queries to their website, twitter or facebook are met with deafening silence. I really don't think the promoters would of been able to arrange anything with them based on our experiences around here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Out of all the young riders so far Bickley seems to have found it harder than anyone which is really surprising but he is still young along time to still keep improving.But there is real hope for the future riders who can get to at least  full time Championship level minimum.Kemp,Flint,Hume,Brennan,Jenkins,Edwards,Parkinson Blackburn,Wood,Brooks,Burden,Mountain,Kinsley,Hampshire,Rowe,Powell (etc) 

Its perhaps easy for people like us on the outside looking in as take me for example. I look at plenty of stats and results and Kemp has jumped out although I know he is also using his head/brain when riding. Incredible for a 15 year old.

But in reality I have no idea how long some of these guys have been on a bike. Some started earlier than others so although on the face of it young. One who started at 7/8 may be ahead of one starting at say 10/11 even if on face value both riders may be  only 15.

BUT I dont want to take anything away from these young up and coming lads. We all mature at certain things at different levels and some get there quicker than others - some get to a level and dont push on and some come along steadily and then burst on to the scenes.

Even Lambert was giving me some concern. He was the next BIG young Brit and now is starting to actually show it. See he won a German Open meeting today. He broke into KL Elite team at 16 but there were doubters starting to appear in respect of his terrible gating - his attitude etc. Even I was having some  doubts as he seemed to explode on to the scene but not push on. Probably some of us were too impatient as we tend to compare young Poles who always seem to be ahead of us but its an unfair comparison. But lets not forget he started riding in 2008 (10 years ago when he got his first licence) and got around the min UK Speedway age rules by having contacts in Germany where he could race under aged. So when he hit the UK scene as this  exciting looking 16 year old, he already had some years having  raced overseas.

I am not knocking Rob as he is the short term future of British Speedway, but he didnt just walk into the sport at 16 but at 10.

I only mention Rob as an  example as many of us dont know how long some of these young 15/16 year olds have been on speedway bikes of some nature.

But ultimately at the moment we do have plenty of talented youngsters coming through and I for one want them to get asap exposure to also riding against better riders or even top class so they can have mentors in the pits giving them advice on how to ride certain situations even if they only have limited exposure to riding against them in order not to kill their confidence.

Hence I for one would like to see a league set up where maybe 2 of these guys go in per team so they can ride against riders of approx equal capabilities for their tender age and also too learn when teamed with some good young or experienced talent to get track craft and riding experience. A kind of mini Polish Team exercise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Its perhaps easy for people like us on the outside looking in as take me for example. I look at plenty of stats and results and Kemp has jumped out although I know he is also using his head/brain when riding. Incredible for a 15 year old.

But in reality I have no idea how long some of these guys have been on a bike. Some started earlier than others so although on the face of it young. One who started at 7/8 may be ahead of one starting at say 10/11 even if on face value both riders may be  only 15.

BUT I dont want to take anything away from these young up and coming lads. We all mature at certain things at different levels and some get there quicker than others - some get to a level and dont push on and some come along steadily and then burst on to the scenes.

Even Lambert was giving me some concern. He was the next BIG young Brit and now is starting to actually show it. See he won a German Open meeting today. He broke into KL Elite team at 16 but there were doubters starting to appear in respect of his terrible gating - his attitude etc. Even I was having some  doubts as he seemed to explode on to the scene but not push on. Probably some of us were too impatient as we tend to compare young Poles who always seem to be ahead of us but its an unfair comparison. But lets not forget he started riding in 2008 (10 years ago when he got his first licence) and got around the min UK Speedway age rules by having contacts in Germany where he could race under aged. So when he hit the UK scene as this  exciting looking 16 year old, he already had some years having  raced overseas.

I am not knocking Rob as he is the short term future of British Speedway, but he didnt just walk into the sport at 16 but at 10.

I only mention Rob as an  example as many of us dont know how long some of these young 15/16 year olds have been on speedway bikes of some nature.

But ultimately at the moment we do have plenty of talented youngsters coming through and I for one want them to get asap exposure to also riding against better riders or even top class so they can have mentors in the pits giving them advice on how to ride certain situations even if they only have limited exposure to riding against them in order not to kill their confidence.

Hence I for one would like to see a league set up where maybe 2 of these guys go in per team so they can ride against riders of approx equal capabilities for their tender age and also too learn when teamed with some good young or experienced talent to get track craft and riding experience. A kind of mini Polish Team exercise.

I hence your last sentence a terrific idea and you are so right about the experience factor young Flint has rode abroad a bit great experience for him .Where as an a example Hume/Burden both 21 started at Rye House straight from moto cross have not really had that much racing time so there are different time scales to each different rider.Each rider is different some can gate crash there way through the system some are slow burners but the future looks good i am hopeful.Kemp Flint and Hume are my three that i really like also forgot young Jack Thomas another talent.

Edited by Sidney the robin

16 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I hence your last sentence a terrific idea and you are so right about the experience factor young Flint has rode abroad a bit great experience for him .Where as an a example Hume/Burden both 21 started at Rye House straight from moto cross have not really had that much racing time so there are different time scales to each different rider.Each rider is different some can gate crash there way through the system some are slow burners but the future looks good i am hopeful.Kemp Flint and Hume are my three that i really like also forgot young Jack Thomas another talent.

Well my cards are Kemp/Flint and Jenkins. Be interesting to look back at say the end of the 2019 season to see how they are progressing. At least we know the N/L will still be around but in what format the Prem/Champ - who knows ;-)

I say Jenkins because he was looking so good prior to his injury at Brum (hopefully back in next 2/3 weeks) and also looked good as late guest for Poole V Bloaters meeting (the kind of poor mans 70th anniv meeting).For a guy who is only 17 in Aug a return of 4 plus 2 bonus from 5 rides was a decent effort. Many thought he looked quite good.

11 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Well my cards are Kemp/Flint and Jenkins. Be interesting to look back at say the end of the 2019 season to see how they are progressing. At least we know the N/L will still be around but in what format the Prem/Champ - who knows ;-)

I say Jenkins because he was looking so good prior to his injury at Brum (hopefully back in next 2/3 weeks) and also looked good as late guest for Poole V Bloaters meeting (the kind of poor mans 70th anniv meeting).For a guy who is only 17 in Aug a return of 4 plus 2 bonus from 5 rides was a decent effort. Many thought he looked quite good.

Jenkins has a lovely riding style and he will go on i suppose another factor we have to consider is there education will come first so they might miss a few meetings.

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Jenkins has a lovely riding style and he will go on i suppose another factor we have to consider is there education will come first so they might miss a few meetings.

You cant blame them. Can live with that. Speedway is not a lifelong career for most. 

Getting a career without decent grades is difficult enough. Nice to have in your back pocket if the Speedway career doesnt pan out. I believe even Jack Holder stayed in Aussie one season more than Brady Kurtz despite being 6 months older to get his apprentiship completed before he came over to race in UK.

I think most who have a genuine long term interest in the sport would understand that. Also with the N/L and all the meetings available in Prem/Champ (combined) they would miss relatively few in comparison. Many of these guys seem to be able to encompass both unless its actually taking exams themselves.

How about the lad Atkins, what’s the word on him?   Beat Kemp twice around West Row last Sunday

2 hours ago, rusky said:

Last night was the first time I have attended at Lynn for some time. There were a few things that stood out for me.

• The crowd seemed pretty big, and there was a fair mixture of young and old, including a few faces I hadn't seen for a while - I'm looking at you Telboy
  • Car Park was fairly muddy.
  • The programme was a marked improvement on previous years I would suggest. Well produced, and good value at £3
  • Presentation of the meeting as a whole was slick, and seemed to progress at a reasonable pace. Not too much tractor racing.
  • Track looked pretty good, and there was some racing for those brave enough.
  • Robert Lambert seems to be developing a good racing brain, and was obviously thinking races through instead of just charging in.
  • Lewis Kerr was very lucky that Jack Holder dropped it so quickly. That could of been nasty.

I'm more than a little surprised by some of the comments around traffic to get out. When you arrive, drive past the works compound with lots of equipment & activity, don't be surprised that Roadworks appear. Those roadworks were by the Highways agency, and they really could make the BSPA look very organised & efficient. I live quite close to the A1 & A14 where as many of you know there are major roadworks. They release daily bulletins on closures & diversions etc. However, they are never accurate. A common feature is that they announce roads will be closed at 21:00 > 06:00 on specific stretches. You never know what time they will close them though, sometimes at 20:00. Now that does confuse people. Any queries to their website, twitter or facebook are met with deafening silence. I really don't think the promoters would of been able to arrange anything with them based on our experiences around here.

It was nice to see you back at the NA although not to talk to.When i was walking on the way to the stadium i see out the corner of my eye somebody holding there hand up i think.I had to look round a car just to see who it was and realised it was you.I thought when i got in the stadium i would catch up for a chat but unfortunately i didn't see you.I gather you must have seen a few old faces there last night.

Enjoyed it last night then Rusky,see you back there again this season?

Edited by tellboy