British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

No Saturday fixtures in the uk.

When was the last time there were no speedway meeting scheduled on a Saturday during the season ?? Obviously not including rain offs  

ive been attending for 30 years and I cannot remember this ever happening before.  Saturday night was the main race day for many clubs. Kings Lynn Coventry Cradley Belle Vue in the top flight.  And also many more that rode in the national league. 

I guess that’s the price of having a Grand Prix and England giving in to everybody else. 

• Like 4

Its  a crazy situation to get into , Saturday night and no speedway is  a complete waste to me , especially as we  head in to the height of summer  and the school holidays having loads of blank  dates , fans will drift away and find something else .

• Like 1

I used to remember Friday night is speedway night in Peterborough, and here we are a week from the last meeting, what looks to be a fine B/H and the website ticker saying next meeting in 14 days likes that's something to enthuse supporters. I suppose it does for the dwindling bunch that now follow the apparent low quality sustainable level of the sport, but for the long term it'll do more harm than good. I realise that's not a Saturday issue but it's on the same theme, if somewhat local.

So many Promoters, Team Managers and other staff prefer to be at the GP, wherever it may be. Riders too.

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

So many Promoters, Team Managers and other staff prefer to be at the GP, wherever it may be. Riders too.

and many fans.

• Like 2

wonder how many current PL teams will consider moving into the CL just to be able to run on a more favourable race night

As I have stated previously - this situation has arisen directly because of the GPs.

I may watch them - but they have sounded the death knell for British Speedway.

Many won't agree, but I believe that the damage done to British Speedway could be irreparable in the long term.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

Isn't it more to do with the Bank Holiday, GP and Champions League final all falling on the same weekend?

5 hours ago, Tsunami said:

and many fans.

British fans at a none Cardiff GP is very few. Maybe not even a 100.

Rider's and promoters in recent history are following the circus around Europe more and more.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Isn't it more to do with the Bank Holiday, GP and Champions League final all falling on the same weekend?

I'm afraid I don't believe that.

It might not help, but I doubt if anyone can argue that the GP System has helped British Speedway, or has not contributed to it's downfall.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

That would be a sensible answer.....so it can't be right,on here anywayB) 

8 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

The answer to that is don’t expect the fans to flock back in droves when the promoters and riders decide to put on a meeting that suits a few. It is sad but as many will recall, Fridays and Saturdays and I guess Sunday were speedway days when fans would turn out in reasonable numbers irrespective of the forecast etc. They knew barring injury the regular  1 to 7 would turn out.

Now if you are lucky it is fortnightly, team select is the name of the game in many cases and gate and go merchants with no real bike control, no team riding and poor entertainment from a racing perspective. For many riders it is, a case of p... off as soon as the last race is over. Years back riders would meet/talk to the paying punters and mutual respect existed. Today nothing.

It really has reached an all time low and as I have said before, time to think of number 1 and start rebuilding speedway with riders who commit to weekly racing in the U.K. and racing on nights when the fans want to attend not when the riders and promoters expect the fans to turn up. None are bold enough but if each club took a straw poll of when fans would more frequently attend, it would interesting to see the result. For now and as long as the sport in the U.K. continues as is the days are numbered for many clubs. Don’t blame other nations blame the U.K. authorities for not standing up to others.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

British fans at a none Cardiff GP is very few. Maybe not even a 100.

definitely wrong there if the last 2 Warsaw GP's i've been to is anything to go by