British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

No Saturday fixtures in the uk.

Wait till the football world cup starts. The promoters might as well shut the sport down for the duration of the tournament. 

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

The answer to that is don’t expect the fans to flock back in droves when the promoters and riders decide to put on a meeting that suits a few. It is sad but as many will recall, Fridays and Saturdays and I guess Sunday were speedway days when fans would turn out in reasonable numbers irrespective of the forecast etc. They knew barring injury the regular  1 to 7 would turn out.

Now if you are lucky it is fortnightly, team select is the name of the game in many cases and gate and go merchants with no real bike control, no team riding and poor entertainment from a racing perspective. For many riders it is, a case of p... off as soon as the last race is over. Years back riders would meet/talk to the paying punters and mutual respect existed. Today nothing.

It really has reached an all time low and as I have said before, time to think of number 1 and start rebuilding speedway with riders who commit to weekly racing in the U.K. and racing on nights when the fans want to attend not when the riders and promoters expect the fans to turn up. None are bold enough but if each club took a straw poll of when fans would more frequently attend, it would interesting to see the result. For now and as long as the sport in the U.K. continues as is the days are numbered for many clubs. Don’t blame other nations blame the U.K. authorities for not standing up to others.

This certainly doesn't apply to Berwick where all the home riders go into the crowd after a meeting and have photos taken with and speak to the fans, the kids love it.

31 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Wait till the football world cup starts. The promoters might as well shut the sport down for the duration of the tournament. 

Why? I can understand it when England games are on, but not for the rest of the fixtures.

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

British fans at a none Cardiff GP is very few. Maybe not even a 100.

Rider's and promoters in recent history are following the circus around Europe more and more.

Wrong. I know stacks of fans who now go to the Polish ones. And not just 1 venue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topsoil said:

Why? I can understand it when England games are on, but not for the rest of the fixtures.

I was being sarcastic...

13 hours ago, The White Knight said:

I'm afraid I don't believe that.

It might not help, but I doubt if anyone can argue that the GP System has helped British Speedway, or has not contributed to it's downfall.

The GPs have been running for 23 years, yet this is the first Saturday where there has been no British speedway.

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I was being sarcastic...

Sorry, got you now. Hard to tell on here with the amount of whining that goes on.

17 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Sorry, got you now. Hard to tell on here with the amount of whining that goes on.

No probs

On 5/27/2018 at 6:19 PM, Daniel Smith said:

British fans at a none Cardiff GP is very few. Maybe not even a 100.

Rider's and promoters in recent history are following the circus around Europe more and more.

I’d say more getting on for 1000 at the Torun GP, not so many at the other 2 you only have to go into the town after the GP to see half of british speedway and I’ve seen that many british riders,promotor’s, sponsors and fans on our flights that sat at Bydgoszcz airport 2 years ago I jokingly said to the Mrs if this flight crashes british speedway will stop 

58 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I’d say more getting on for 1000 at the Torun GP, not so many at the other 2 you only have to go into the town after the GP to see half of british speedway and I’ve seen that many british riders,promotor’s, sponsors and fans on our flights that sat at Bydgoszcz airport 2 years ago I jokingly said to the Mrs if this flight crashes british speedway will stop 

QUITE right

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Maybe this is where the British speedway fan has decided to spend the hard earned cash rather than the mediocre weekly racing that is served up in the U.K. Most fans are perhaps now more discerning when it comes to the spend and with team racing poor to non existent, individual events at various levels are perhaps far more attractive proposition and spending the same amount as a weekly fix spread over a season but on quality yet fewer events is perhaps where the sport Is going and without some serious changes league racing is dead in the water in the U.K. It simply cannot compete with the top tiers of league racing overseas. We must all wait and see how things unfold both domestically and at international level.