British Speedway Forum
WestGorton1884

Belle Vue Aces Vs Leicester Lions 28/5 /18

I feared the worst both before the meeting started and when Cookie withdrew, and we were there for the taking not for the first time. That was before the boys put in a powerhouse display especially Riss who was super. All the boys, from Drozdz and "Dame Edna" Etheridge to Max were top notch and it was a delight to watch and the racing was excellent too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BuxtonTiger said:

Two hours and twenty minutes to run 15 heats !

If that is intended to be a dig I think such criticism from Buxton is laughable.  (Get up to Buxton when I can but from what I have seen 2 hour plus meetings are a regular event there).

Irony alert!! One of the breaks in racing today was a presentation to the track staff (from a referees poll?) that gave the tractor team a mark of 99.98% over the season!!

Yes, it did go on for a time but on a scorching day there wasn't one heat that generated any dust to speak of.

And the racing was out of this world!

Edited by lastword
spelling
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, lastword said:

If that is intended to be a dig I think such criticism from Buxton is laughable.  (Get up to Buxton when I can but from what I have seen 2 hour plus meetings are a regular event there).

Irony alert!! One of the breaks in racing today was a presentation to the track staff (from a referees poll?) that gave the tractor team a mark of 99.98% over the season!!

Yes, it did go on for a time but on a scorching day there wasn't one heat that generated any dust to speak of.

And the racing was out of this world!

I think it was a dig but who cares. The  constant watering meant that  the meeting took longer than usual but also ensured that the track stayed in superb condition, no mean feat on a steaming hot day. All credit to the track staff :approve: and no surprise that they took track of the year for both the Premiership and NL. 

You will have to explain to a Buxton fan what a track without dust is like because he won't know :D.

Despite the scoreline, there was (as usual )some fantastic racing -  particularly Bewley's brilliant ride in heat 9 and heat 14 with three abreast in the first couple of laps (suspect Etheridge needed to change his race suit when Tungate missed him by a whisker). 

Belle Vue were brilliant but they shouldn't get carried away as I thought Leicester were  rubbish. What on earth was up with King ? He never looked like beating anyone.

• Like 2

Can only think King was carrying an injury?? He was dreadful, usually much better than that round BV. 

58 minutes ago, BuxtonTiger said:

Two hours and twenty minutes to run 15 heats !

I'm not entirely sure that a Buxton supporter is particularly well placed to level any form of criticism at the organization at the National Speedway Stadium in the light of recent farcical episodes at the High Edge arena,

Sometimes one does detect perhaps a tad of jealousy and Buxton Tiger keeping your own counsel may be the appropriate course of action.

Obviously, we look forward to joining you next Sunday when you can show us how a professional speedway meeting should be conducted.

Excellent racing today.

track staff had to work hard to keep the moisture on the track.... watering after every 2 heats did the job although it did slow the meeting down.... but worth it for the entertainment value

Looking at the scoreline you could be forgiven that this was a gate and go borefest, nothing could be further from the truth, the racing was superb with the Aces earning a lot of points from the back, on a baking hot day there was no dust problem at all, the track rode really well and overall this was an excellent advertisement for the sport. Leaving the stadium people were enthusing over the quality of racing, normally on these types of aftenoons it becomes a slick dustbowl with follow my leader the norm, Kudos to the track staff.

Just seen on the Leicester website that they call today's condition 'a dusty track'

OK, they want to look for excuses for such a dismal performance but it does Simon Stead (was it his quote I wonder?) no credit to suggest a dusty track was to blame.

Fact: The track staff did a terrific performance to ensure that the track was NOT dusty.

Sorry Simon you need to look elsewhere for your team's showing rather than criticise the Belle Vue track staff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krompa said:

Any news re Cookie? Will he ride or RR/guest?

Phil the Ace has put on another thread that he isn't riding tonight,it will be R/R i would assume.All top flight teams are racing tonight.

Edited by tellboy

1 hour ago, lastword said:

Just seen on the Leicester website that they call today's condition 'a dusty track'

OK, they want to look for excuses for such a dismal performance but it does Simon Stead (was it his quote I wonder?) no credit to suggest a dusty track was to blame.

Fact: The track staff did a terrific performance to ensure that the track was NOT dusty.

Sorry Simon you need to look elsewhere for your team's showing rather than criticise the Belle Vue track staff.

Cheap shot and not only a lame excuse but an untruthful one. They will have to think of some other reason why their team was so poor. 

Cook out ‘till the SON event due to the new SCB 7 day sickness suspension. 

Was certainly not dusty.

Lions just poor.

Some excellent races.

Watering understandable.

Interval did drag on for far too long.

• Like 1

An enjoyable meeting despite the scoreline. Good racing, good atmosphere, an excellent guest performance from Riss and promising performances from our reserves.

It was also good to see a few Leicester fans had made the trip and at least one Wolves fan who had obviously decided to see some proper speedway. :D

• Haha 1