British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedwaycrazy

Saturday Night Racing...The Rye House Predicament!

I have for the last two years attended all of the Rye House meetings, in addition to the Lakeside meetings!

I have noticed this year that crowds appear down at Rye ( bank holiday Monday apart).

This may be in part that Lakeside are back in the second division and doing well and supporters can't afford to attend both.

I have it on good authority that to try and avoid always having to run on the Monday/Wednesday slot, which many supporters don't/can't attend that the Rye promotion requested that they run on a Saturday night....with two full teams/ no guests.

This was apparently refused by the powers that be.....Why?

I think Rye have been sold down the river with the promise of TV money and now having to run on nights that I don't think suit them financially.

I can easily see them dropping to the second division next season to generate a few local derbies...and bigger crowds!

Edited by Speedwaycrazy

48 minutes ago, Speedwaycrazy said:

I can easily see them dropping to the second division next season to generate a few local derbies...and bigger crowds!

Hope so.

Everybody saw how big the monday bank holiday crowd was against Somerset and it started at 3.00pm, so of course they are running today at, yes you guessed it 7.30pm to accommodate TV (for which they get pennies)  You couldn't make it up.

I hope the promotion survive this season then overthrow the idiots who "run" our sport.

• Like 1

I am probably in a very small minority but if Rye House were to run on Saturdays then I would not be able to attend anymore than one or two meetings but with midweek meetings I can plan my week around D the Speedway.

Next Saturday is the British Youth Championship round and by a stroke of luck I have a very rare free Saturday so I am looking forward to seeing the under 16's in action. At only £5 for nearly 40 races I hope all those who want Saturday racing at Rye House will be there! 

What would make sense is for Rye House to drop down, Ipswich and Sheffield to move up, and the top flight switch from Wednesdays to Thursdays.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

the next AGM should have the words TEAM and FANS on billboards across the room maybe then someone might grasp what the sport is about 

No! You are having a laugh? The sport of speedway is run for the FANS and the TEAMS? Whatever next! We can't compete with Sweden or Poland but that is what the BSPA see as a vital strategy and will go on doing so until the cupboard is bare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Every year in speedway rules are made to please riders, the sport is effectively run by riders , the fixed race night to please some top riders and to avoid the clashes in the cancer that is doubling up so riders can still double up, not giving a thought to fans just worrying about their bank balance, until people realise the sport is there for fans we will keep making stupid decisions and killing the sport bit by bit, the next AGM should have the words TEAM and FANS on billboards across the room maybe then someone might grasp what the sport is about 

At the end of the day without riders there’s no speedway.

I’m thinking that the doubling issue is a two fold one, more rides therefore more income and thus allowing clubs to pay less for points money to these riders.

Or is it just greed?

28 minutes ago, Grachan said:

What would make sense is for Rye House to drop down, Ipswich and Sheffield to move up, and the top flight switch from Wednesdays to Thursdays.

With Poole having a special dispensation for Wednesdays?

:)

3 minutes ago, GWC said:

At the end of the day without riders there’s no speedway.

I’m thinking that the doubling issue is a two fold one, more rides therefore more income and thus allowing clubs to pay less for points money to these riders.

Or is it just greed?

There will always be riders, maybe a different mentality riders but there won’t be fans, riders of today are total greed and some only choose speedway as their motorcycle sport because they get paid for doing it, you only have to see some of the debates I’ve had on social media with riders who I now well to see they don’t give a damn about the future of the sport or for that matter the people who pay for it 

It will be interesting when the time comes to combine the leagues and see who wants to ride for just one club and limiting their earning power.

The GP riders will disappear unless fortunes are paid to them and so will some who won’t see it financially viable with mechanics, vans bikes and expenses to fork out for.

15 minutes ago, GWC said:

It will be interesting when the time comes to combine the leagues and see who wants to ride for just one club and limiting their earning power.

The GP riders will disappear unless fortunes are paid to them and so will some who won’t see it financially viable with mechanics, vans bikes and expenses to fork out for.

And this comes down to points I’ve made before, riders attitudes need to change and there needs to be strict controls on bikes, sure riders will kick and scream as they always do but there is no other way, their way of I want my living and all the trappings that go with it  and I don’t care where the money comes from has all but gone bankrupt, it’s them who have pushed the costs up with their excess not the fans, the sport is living beyond its means and has been for a while , nobody wants to see riders earn less but this is the real world not the protected bubble that riders and their sycophants live in and it has no more money 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2