British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Leicester Prem A. 30/5/18

3 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Poland's sports include almost all sporting disciplines, in particular: volleyball, football (the most popular sport) and motorcycle speedway, ski jumping, track & field, basketball, boxing, fencing, rugby union, field hockey, handball, ice hockey, swimming and weightlifting.

A quick google search has thrown this up. I've highlighted the important bit in bold and underlined it.

Exactly. But maybe starman knows better.   

7 minutes ago, poole keith said:

starman your slipping into "rude mode" go out for a relaxing stroll,this is a very embarrassing situation for poole speedway and difficult to justify  im afraid us poole fans  are just going to have to take the stick on the chin,and hope the track is not going to be an ongoing problem,if the track is back to how it was at the end of last season repairs are not going to be easy or cheap!!                    ( pssst anyone wanna buy a speedway team lol)

But its not the clubs fault. You cannot get that across to the dumb dumbs  on here. They are taking great delight in it because its poole. I know what the problem is Glyn does and Matt will now be fully aware. and yes, it will not be cheap. bare in mind, the bends 1-2 repairs were not done until 3 weeks before P&P day, knowhere near long enough for it to bed in properly. with the snow and rain. you needed several weeks of reasonable weather, and we did not get it. Now, please refere to my posts. Thank you.

Two stadia in the south of France, both located close to the sea at Monaco and Toulon, are built over underground car parks and thus the pitches do not suffer from the problems of water table saturation.

So perhaps the solution for Poole is to excavate out the ground underneath the stadium, give Glyn a couple of weeks with a digger and I'm sure that will fix things permanently.

8 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Burnham on sea. thsts where you live, isnt it... .

No - I haven't done for about 4 years. Something else you've got wrong today :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I don't understand why in speedway the covers aren't attached to the top of the fence and angled in towards the infield. Undo the straps and roll them out. Job done. 2 hours work at most.

Two reasons

1 the fence at most tracks is not strong enough to hold a rolled up wet cover.

2 the dog people, who have the main say in the stadium, will not allow anything left on the fence or infield after the speedway meeting.

This has been discussed many times.     

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Im neither going to argue with the dumb dumbs on here nor reply to them. 

I will not add to this, nor reply to any other poster.

Yet you’ve spent all morning replying and adding to it. :t: :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Last Greyhound race at Monmore on a Monday is after 6pm.. Track is covered well before meeting starts at 7:30pm.

We are not talking about the dog track covers

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

But its not the clubs fault. You cannot get that across to the dumb dumbs  on here. They are taking great delight in it because its poole. I know what the problem is Glyn does and Matt will now be fully aware. and yes, it will not be cheap. bare in mind, the bends 1-2 repairs were not done until 3 weeks before P&P day, knowhere near long enough for it to bed in properly. with the snow and rain. you needed several weeks of reasonable weather, and we did not get it. Now, please refere to my posts. Thank you.

If the repairs were left until 3 weeks before the start of the new season then yes it is the clubs fault, the promotion had from the end of last season to schedule in repair work and get this sorted out. We all agree that the track needed work doing to it but why wait to the last minute?

With regards to the rain, I have checked one of our outside security cameras keeping in mind that we are only at Sterte and yes it did rain from around 1.30 in the morning until around 5 although I would not call it torrential rain!. I don't know if the stadium drainage system has become worse over the years but I can remember days when you would have had a lot or rain and would have sworn that it would have been called of only for the meeting to go ahead

3 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

We are not talking about the dog track covers

What covers do you want then?

There are countless sports that can cover tracks, surfaces within minutes. Once again, speedway seems to exist in it's own bubble where every problem is insurmountable.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Two reasons

1 the fence at most tracks is not strong enough to hold a rolled up wet cover.

2 the dog people, who have the main say in the stadium, will not allow anything left on the fence or infield after the speedway meeting.

This has been discussed many times.     

Have you ever felt a wet tarpaulin sheet? If a speedway fence isn't strong enough to take the weight of that, then there is bigger problems with health and safety than first feared!

With regards your second point, attach it to the top of the air fence worst case. When the air fence is deflated it will drop down or when it is removed it will also be removed in the same motion.

4 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Have you ever felt a wet tarpaulin sheet? If a speedway fence isn't strong enough to take the weight of that, then there is bigger problems with health and safety than first feared!

With regards your second point, attach it to the top of the air fence worst case. When the air fence is deflated it will drop down or when it is removed it will also be removed in the same motion.

If it was that easy and fast to do it would have been done before now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Najjer said:

No he is right, it doesn't work like that.

First of all the weight of the water causes the sheets to bow slightly in the middle. The water then collects in the bows rather than running straight off of the sheet. The water will then (due to wind, the weight of the water, bowing in other areas, etc) move around the sheet and go down the gaps between the sheets and on to the track.

The only way to avoid this would be to have either one big oval sheet, or several sheets that can be zipped together (in a completely watertight manner, you couldn't just use regular zips) and then rigidly ratchet strapped top and bottom around the track, a meter or two apart at most, to keep the sheet tight enough to avoid bowing. For Poole this would mean a good 500 odd strapping points I'd imagine. The points they are strapped to would also need to be very strong. Strong enough to withstand strong wind, which when exerted on a piece of fabric that big can be quite a force and could easily pull out the strapping points if not strong enough.

Even if you had one big water tight sheet strapped at dozens of points around the track, then the water still has to go somewhere. You'd need a large oval drain on the inside of the track that is wide enough to catch all the water running off and also with a wide enough exit pipe to keep up with the speed of the rainfall. 

A bunch of tarpaulins strapped from the fence to the inner field won't help at all. All you'll have is a track that is just as wet, and a sh*t load of wet tarpaulins to put away.

Long story short: It won't work. You need a roof.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

No he is right, it doesn't work like that.

First of all the weight of the water causes the sheets to bow slightly in the middle. The water then collects in the bows rather than running straight off of the sheet. The water will then (due to wind, the weight of the water, bowing in other areas, etc) move around the sheet and go down the gaps between the sheets and on to the track.

The only way to avoid this would be to have either one big oval sheet, or several sheets that can be zipped together (in a completely watertight manner, you couldn't just use regular zips) and then rigidly ratchet strapped top and bottom around the track, a meter or two apart at most, to keep the sheet tight enough to avoid bowing. For Poole this would mean a good 500 odd strapping points I'd imagine. The points they are strapped to would also need to be very strong. Strong enough to withstand strong wind, which when exerted on a piece of fabric that big can be quite a force and could easily pull out the strapping points if not strong enough.

Even if you had one big water tight sheet strapped at dozens of points around the track, then the water still has to go somewhere. You'd need a large oval drain on the inside of the track that is wide enough to catch all the water running off and also with a wide enough exit pipe to keep up with the speed of the rainfall. 

A bunch of tarpaulins strapped from the fence to the inner field won't help at all. All you'll have is a track that is just as wet, and a sh*t load of wet tarpaulins to put away.

Long story short: It won't work. You need a roof.

Talk about over engineering a simple solution to a simple solution.

Flood the infield, who cares if the infield is a swamp if you've got a decent race track on the outside! The sheets are over such a short span, they would bow slightly in the middle but the angle is such as the inside would be pegged to the ground that it would continue to run to the infield. If the sheets are overlapped you shouldn't get any leakage at all. Pegging to the infield would be more than sufficient and wouldn't need ratchet straps at all.

I've seen it done elsewhere albeit not on a speedway track and they don't have a problem. Not sure why for speedway it's deemed to be impossible :rolleyes:

Just now, Najjer said:

Talk about over engineering a simple solution to a simple solution.

Flood the infield, who cares if the infield is a swamp if you've got a decent race track on the outside! The sheets are over such a short span, they would bow slightly in the middle but the angle is such as the inside would be pegged to the ground that it would continue to run to the infield. If the sheets are overlapped you shouldn't get any leakage at all. Pegging to the infield would be more than sufficient and wouldn't need ratchet straps at all.

I've seen it done elsewhere albeit not on a speedway track and they don't have a problem. Not sure why for speedway it's deemed to be impossible :rolleyes:

No it doesn't work like that. It's not over engineering, it's basic engineering.

• If you flood the infield it will run back onto the track.
  • 300m of track is not a short span by any means. Overlapping isn't sufficient to prevent them leaking, in fact, even a slight breeze would make them useless. Go and grab a tarpaulin, spread it out across the ground and stick some bricks on all the corners. Watch for yourself how quickly large amounts of air will wave underneath them. 
  • Pegging would not be sufficient. See above. The wind alone would pull pegs out on an area that large. It's a 300m long speedway track, not a tent. 

It can't be done that way, you haven't seen it done that way anywhere else before and it wouldn't work. If it did work, they'd be doing it. Prep for meetings starts hours before the meeting starts and would add very little extra work to take some tarpaulins down. Rain offs cost the clubs an absolute fortune. There is absolutely no reason why we wouldn't all be doing it if it worked.

It doesn't work.