British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Leicester Prem A. 30/5/18

16 minutes ago, ray c said:

you would have thought that matt ford would have made a statement on last nights shambles not a peep out of him unless i have missed it somewhere

Think he had a long lie down in a darkened room as he see's his finances flushing down the toilet week by week this season and with less money then he ever had since the loss of both the Sky money (for the much poorer BT deal) and that lucrative Readypower sponsorship for I assume the much lower Poole Volvo deal ??

There is something I dont quite get and maybe some of my forum colleagues can help me here.

I have read plenty that Matt is a full time promotor and as such his full time job is Poole Speedway (thought i read he had sold his hairdressing biz some time ago). I have no idea if he has other biz interests.

If Speedway really is losing its backside, and I can fully understand that this season if nothing else with all the rain offs, what must have been a hellish expensive 70th Anniv wipeout with all the costs of the riders and ex stars coming over - hotels - the big bash and costs for arranging it, less sponsorship - no Sky money etc - etc.

How the hell can he be staying afloat if this is his main source of income and also paying all the riders wages and related costs.

A lot of other promotions have other biz interests incl Rye House who must be struggling but how can Matt do it if this is his main source of income (and sure I read that his wife also gets involved in the office).

Maybe someone can enlighten me as I cant see how he can do it with all these rain offs and also falling crowds as they sure aren't attending in the numbers we had when we had those successful teams. That's also not incl the rain off of the normally well attended and lucrative BH meeting against Somerset.

20 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Think he had a long lie down in a darkened room as he see's his finances flushing down the toilet week by week this season and with less money then he ever had since the loss of both the Sky money (for the much poorer BT deal) and that lucrative Readypower sponsorship for I assume the much lower Poole Volvo deal ??

There is something I dont quite get and maybe some of my forum colleagues can help me here.

I have read plenty that Matt is a full time promotor and as such his full time job is Poole Speedway (thought i read he had sold his hairdressing biz some time ago). I have no idea if he has other biz interests.

If Speedway really is losing its backside, and I can fully understand that this season if nothing else with all the rain offs, what must have been a hellish expensive 70th Anniv wipeout with all the costs of the riders and ex stars coming over - hotels - the big bash and costs for arranging it, less sponsorship - no Sky money etc - etc.

How the hell can he be staying afloat if this is his main source of income and also paying all the riders wages and related costs.

A lot of other promotions have other biz interests incl Rye House who must be struggling but how can Matt do it if this is his main source of income (and sure I read that his wife also gets involved in the office).

Maybe someone can enlighten me as I cant see how he can do it with all these rain offs and also falling crowds as they sure aren't attending in the numbers we had when we had those successful teams. That's also not incl the rain off of the normally well attended and lucrative BH meeting against Somerset.

What the hell has it got to do with you where  Matt Ford gets  his income from 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

He is just interested where the finances are coming from, nothing wrong with that! 

2 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

Your user name probably sums you up.

I dont care where he gets his income from. I am just trying to say that I can't see how our club can survive in its current format if it also has to finance a full time promotor as well as take all the hits its had to endure this season.

Matt Ford over the years has done a brilliant job and most have viewed Poole as one of the most financially secure and successful clubs. I am just wondering how long it can continue as is if he doesnt have other biz interests to help him. I dont care what those interests are. My point being it all adds cost to a business gong through a difficult time financially.

I may be wrong but i thought most if not all other Speedway bosses have other biz interests and Speedway is only part of that. If this is/was Matts main employ then it must be hammering him even more.

Poole nearly closed In the mid 1980's, so no club is immune to the grim reaper. Every track in the country must be feeling the pinch, how many of them survive is another matter.

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

He is just interested where the finances are coming from, nothing wrong with that! 

Now you can see why Poole Bolton stepped out of the Forum with people like the Muppets kind of reply to a lot of his sensible posts.

Interesting its another Ipswich Fan who comes in from the side with such a comment. At least Gavan has a good element of sensible input

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Poole nearly closed In the mid 1980's, so no club is immune to the grim reaper. Every track in the country must be feeling the pinch, how many of them survive is another matter.

Exactly. Even more reason for a rethink on how we construct our sport going forward after the end of this season.

I think you will find that Ford has property interests abroad. 

5 hours ago, Baldyman said:

What sort of cover system do they have in Vojens that doesn't work?

Seems the track covers can't be done expert has gone quiet and not answered this one....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BobC said:

I hope for his sake he has as it takes some of the pressure off the income situ at Poole.

I really do hope that something can be salvaged from the mess that is 2018 on the team front (incl the CH saga) - track front and the horrendous rain off front as that has had the main bearing on Pooles track issues.

We need some fair weather - some team stability and a decent run of results to finish at least mid table. Anything else for me will be a bonus. I never predicted Poole would walk the League but like many, I never dreamed that such a team of POTENTIAL talent would bomb so badly.

Anyway despite all the issues and problems still plenty of exciting racing available and hopefully positive team results. After last season thought we had enough problems & bad luck  but this season trumps that (so far). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BobC said:

Not sure he does now Bob, I know he's sold Spanish one.

Edited by sugarray
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sugarray said:

Not sure he does now Bob, I know he's sold Spanish one.

Hope the Club is not draining his personal situation :o

Wouldn't surprise me the way the sport is going.

20 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I hope for his sake he has as it takes some of the pressure off the income situ at Poole.

I really do hope that something can be salvaged from the mess that is 2018 on the team front (incl the CH saga) - track front and the horrendous rain off front as that has had the main bearing on Pooles track issues.

We need some fair weather - some team stability and a decent run of results to finish at least mid table. Anything else for me will be a bonus. I never predicted Poole would walk the League but like many, I never dreamed that such a team of POTENTIAL talent would bomb so badly.

Anyway despite all the issues and problems still plenty of exciting racing available and hopefully positive team results. After last season thought we had enough problems & bad luck  but this season trumps that (so far). 

Mate. Ive not read all the dross on here sinse dinner time and i really cannot be bothered to read those posts they are just anti poole snipping and know nothings. You talk a lot of sense and im happy to read you posts.
Mate our problem is 3 fold, but the biggest problem we have had is the weather and the water table. the tides are getting higher and will eventually re-claim land, so you mix  that with the unpredictable weather and heavy downpours and what do you get ? But you are wasting you time telling these on here because it goes in one ear and out the other.  A Orlov hit the nail on the head with one of his posts this morning, and he was spot on, and he's a Swindon fan...

Edited by Starman2006

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The club nearly closed in mid 90's too, about 95ish time. I remember signing the petition to try and keep it open. It was not long after Long Eaton closed down I think. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

The club nearly closed in mid 90's too, about 95ish time. I remember signing the petition to try and keep it open. It was not long after Long Eaton closed down I think. 

Thought we were ok under Merv and Pete's stewardship.

• Like 2