British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Leicester Prem A. 30/5/18

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Looking forward to this. Think Poole will win it and with Woryna at reserve alongside Spanner we should make mincemeat of the Leicester 6 and 7.

Team should look different after this one with changes on their way.

Thoughts?

I think Spanner could be the next for the chop unless we see some improvement very soon. Personally I would like to see Gomolski back.

Edited by foreverblue

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

I think Spanner could be the next for the chop unless we see some improvement very soon. Personally I would like to see Gomolski back.

I gather you are not talking about Gomolski replacing Spanner. Gomolski's average is a lot higher..

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

But where would he fit ??

Just did a calc and taking BK/LS/JG/KW/CH and NK comes to 47.69 - only leaves 4.57. Gomolski is on around 5.5 which even if you factor in 2.5/5% reduction for not having ridden full time since 2015) other than few matches 2017 that still leaves him on 5.23/25 so too high to fit. Assuming on dropping Spaniak and replacing him.

If we assume that he can't get (or afford) an 8 pointer than maybe his thinking of having 2 strong reserves to kick off in June aka Woryna/Klindt and go for a stronger middle order ??

The problem is how much longer do you wait for Holder ?? - Matt has got a 2 week break coming up after Leic H then home to KL (may get away with no Holder again ?? and poss KL without NKI through either op recovery NKI and Lambert as his DK team have a fixture that night (Denmark gets priority as its a Wed). In which  case Matt has maybe another week up his sleeve to look at replacement. He will have to do it before 23/6 latest as thats when the new GSA cut off date for July is. Also having 2 home meetings on the trot against Leic & KL chances are that some riders GSA's may creep up again like Wor (from reserve)/Sund/Kurtz/Graz??/Worrall?? so he will have to tweek it before the new ones come out to take advantage.

Of course if CH doesnt come back then maybe it will be a Worrall & Gomolski combo as he will have the Holder shortfall to play with. Having said that may look stronger in depth but I feel the lack of a NO 1 will bite us on the backside as Brady continue to prove he is not a NO 1 at this stage of his career, and continues to blow it when its most important. Something sadly that is becoming too apparent even though still early in his career. Have seen it in Aussie and in Europe when he needs to put in that one big ride. Not knocking it but a few have noticed the weakness. Needs to iron that out long term or he may continue to keep falling short.

33 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

I gather you are not talking about Gomolski replacing Spanner. Gomolski's average is a lot higher..

But team average is really low Starman so probably can replace him with a rider a couple of points higher! 

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Not by much Gomolski 5.51.

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

But where would he fit ??

Just did a calc and taking BK/LS/JG/KW/CH and NK comes to 47.69 - only leaves 4.57. Gomolski is on around 5.5 which even if you factor in 2.5/5% reduction for not having ridden full time since 2015) other than few matches 2017 that still leaves him on 5.23/25 so too high to fit. Assuming on dropping Spaniak and replacing him.

If we assume that he can't get (or afford) an 8 pointer than maybe his thinking of having 2 strong reserves to kick off in June aka Woryna/Klindt and go for a stronger middle order ??

The problem is how much longer do you wait for Holder ?? - Matt has got a 2 week break coming up after Leic H then home to KL (may get away with no Holder again ?? and poss KL without NKI through either op recovery NKI and Lambert as his DK team have a fixture that night (Denmark gets priority as its a Wed). In which  case Matt has maybe another week up his sleeve to look at replacement. He will have to do it before 23/6 latest as thats when the new GSA cut off date for July is. Also having 2 home meetings on the trot against Leic & KL chances are that some riders GSA's may creep up again like Wor (from reserve)/Sund/Kurtz/Graz??/Worrall?? so he will have to tweek it before the new ones come out to take advantage.

Of course if CH doesnt come back then maybe it will be a Worrall & Gomolski combo as he will have the Holder shortfall to play with. Having said that may look stronger in depth but I feel the lack of a NO 1 will bite us on the backside as Brady continue to prove he is not a NO 1 at this stage of his career, and continues to blow it when its most important. Something sadly that is becoming too apparent even though still early in his career. Have seen it in Aussie and in Europe when he needs to put in that one big ride. Not knocking it but a few have noticed the weakness. Needs to iron that out long term or he may continue to keep falling short.

At this moment in time a lot seems to be riding on CH coming back, if he doesn't we have to get a rider of his ability and that seems to be proving very difficult so we may have to go for a more balanced team without the out and out number one.

45 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

At this moment in time a lot seems to be riding on CH coming back, if he doesn't we have to get a rider of his ability and that seems to be proving very difficult so we may have to go for a more balanced team without the out and out number one.

I get the impression that with his last Echo interview he was eluding to that situation. Said that he would leave no stone unturned, but got the distinct feeling he was looking more towards a strength in depth side. But so much depends on getting Holder back. If he doesnt maybe he will try and secure Worrall for the rest of the season - use the Holder point shortfall and sign maybe a Gomolski. But at that stage i think it will be just a damage limitation exercise with a what will be will be for rest of 2018 season.

A side of that nature wouldnt be the end of the World but having a part firing number one with the likes of Sundstrom/Josh G and others equally capable of scoring a poor 4/5 as much as a 10 in any given week, it would be more of a leap of faith than one of real confidence. Also just as previous 2 seasons I would not have great confidence in any play off over 2 legs if we scraped into 4th. But after the "Anus Horiblus" start to 2018 on so many fronts from the bad weather - the bad season start for so many riders - Holder situation - financial disaster Matt must have had with all those raqin offs incl the 70th Anniv meeting alone and function having cost a small fortune - less money in the sport from tv and no doubt lower sponsorship money - falling crowds - cancellations and the lack of money for arguably one of the top teams kevlars - its may be an achievement in itself to get to the play offs.

Not putting a downer on things just a reality check on where we are.

If the team does really well the  second half of the season I will gladly put my hands up and say how well they did. 

59 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I get the impression that with his last Echo interview he was eluding to that situation. Said that he would leave no stone unturned, but got the distinct feeling he was looking more towards a strength in depth side. But so much depends on getting Holder back. If he doesnt maybe he will try and secure Worrall for the rest of the season - use the Holder point shortfall and sign maybe a Gomolski. But at that stage i think it will be just a damage limitation exercise with a what will be will be for rest of 2018 season.

A side of that nature wouldnt be the end of the World but having a part firing number one with the likes of Sundstrom/Josh G and others equally capable of scoring a poor 4/5 as much as a 10 in any given week, it would be more of a leap of faith than one of real confidence. Also just as previous 2 seasons I would not have great confidence in any play off over 2 legs if we scraped into 4th. But after the "Anus Horiblus" start to 2018 on so many fronts from the bad weather - the bad season start for so many riders - Holder situation - financial disaster Matt must have had with all those raqin offs incl the 70th Anniv meeting alone and function having cost a small fortune - less money in the sport from tv and no doubt lower sponsorship money - falling crowds - cancellations and the lack of money for arguably one of the top teams kevlars - its may be an achievement in itself to get to the play offs.

Not putting a downer on things just a reality check on where we are.

If the team does really well the  second half of the season I will gladly put my hands up and say how well they did. 

Good post..:t:

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

But team average is really low Starman so probably can replace him with a rider a couple of points higher! 

Probably a point and half to play with.

6 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

But Auty rides for Scunthorpe? As did Nielsen, so think DC was just going for the majority. 

And Klindt too in 2016. Keep up, Starman!  :)

Wilko must be dreading the call!

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

And Klindt too in 2016. Keep up, Starman!  :)

Wilko must be dreading the call!

Carl Wilkinson? He's rode for us before I think..

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Carl Wilkinson? He's rode for us before I think..

Years ago now.

27 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Probably a point and half to play with.

Should be enough for a new number 1?    

Oh, hang on, you meant a point and a half in addition. :)

Can't see Gomolski being in the frame - not now the Churchill Arms has closed!!!:D

Or maybe I have got it wrong and he WILL be in the frame because the Churchill Arms has closed!!:cheers:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Can't see Gomolski being in the frame - not now the Churchill Arms has closed!!!:D

Or maybe I have got it wrong and he WILL be in the frame because the Churchill Arms has closed!!:cheers:

He may jump at the chance to ride anywhere regularly.

He's sitting on the sidelines in POL as his new POL EXL team have only used him twice in 7 matches, although he was pretty poor in both. Think his problem is he thinks he is better than he probably is. I think he found his level in POL Nice 1 where last season his av was 7.95 per 4 rides and match av (some meetings 5 rides plus) was 9.24 taking all rides completed.

Think he still has a belief he is a POL EXL rider but I'm not convinced and thing he is going to find out the hard way. Think he has also shunned being loaned out in the May window in the hope of still breaking in.

I  reckon in UK he is maybe a 6/6.5 pointer at best and still feel after his woeful efforts in those few meetings for Leicester last season before he was dumped, that is what Poole would get, and even then I think he is another risky Pole. We have already seen that as far as Poole is concerned anyway that POL EXL form (in case of Woryna last season and his good POL Nice form this season) -  Spaniaks great form in Nice 1 last season - Sundstroms questionable form in POL Exl last season and this, is not a great yardstick for how they would perform in UK.

Many of course will remember that title winning ride against Wolves in 2015, but lets not lose sight of the fact he only had a 5.51 final GSA in a League Winning side and in the seasons flwg he has not really pushed on having failed in POL EXL in 2016 - moved down in 2017 and even then 7.95 is not spectacular in that League.

Wouldnt surprise me one bit if he went back to being what I feel he is with more down performances than up. He is a big Poole fan and was gutted he didnt get signed in 2016 having flown over here close season anticipating he would be announced. But being a big fan and seeking a paycheck and all related expenses for commuting etc is one thing. Doing it on the track is another. For me someone more reliable without busting the Bank would be preferred even if it does mean we dont quite make it this season.

Getting new riders NOW sure wont be easy, but surely there must be someone out there less risky and perhaps with less cost.