British Speedway Forum

The local Asda now displays a smallish range of leaflets advertising local attactions: animal parks, stately homes etc.    Well today I picked one up which is all about Santa Pod Raceway, drag racing, and it occured to me that speedway could benefit from such a leaflet campaign.  I seem to recall leaflets depicting speedway info & fixtures were available at tracks in mid 2000's. The numbers of leaflets in Asda of the same subject increase and decrease so are at least some are being picked up and replaced.  Interestingly none of the leaflets I've seen in offer any kind of discount just the basic info: what, where, when and how much.  Just sayin'....

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

The local Asda now displays a smallish range of leaflets advertising local attactions: animal parks, stately homes etc.    Well today I picked one up which is all about Santa Pod Raceway, drag racing, and it occured to me that speedway could benefit from such a leaflet campaign.  I seem to recall leaflets depicting speedway info & fixtures were available at tracks in mid 2000's. The numbers of leaflets in Asda of the same subject increase and decrease so are at least some are being picked up and replaced.  Interestingly none of the leaflets I've seen in offer any kind of discount just the basic info: what, where, when and how much.  Just sayin'....

When we first opened up in 1997, I went around all the local hotels and caravan parks and kept them stocked up in their foyers for their guests. No offers on them, so never really found out if they worked.

Ona very similar subject, in about 2000 me and the girlf were thinking of staying at a caravan park about 30 miles outside of Hull, on enquiring in the reception among the usual stuff I was amazed to find 30+ leaflets advertising Hull Vikings.  Never seen 'em before, nor had anyone I spoke to, and being a collector of such things I naturally 'collected' a couple.  Reception was unstaffed, not a good impression, so couldn't ask who had dropped the leaflets off.....

You might pick up the odd extra customer through leafletting, but I don't think it's very effective nowadays. I think people look for stuff to do use the Internet these days. 

The main problem though, is whereas people know what happens at zoos, amusement parks and corporate karting centres, and will usually some knowledge of major attractions, speedway has fallen so much from the national consciousness that you might as well be advertising a museum of daguerreotypy for all it means to most people. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You might pick up the odd extra customer through leafletting, but I don't think it's very effective nowadays. I think people look for stuff to do use the Internet these days. 

The main problem though, is whereas people know what happens at zoos, amusement parks and corporate karting centres, and will usually some knowledge of major attractions, speedway has fallen so much from the national consciousness that you might as well be advertising a museum of daguerreotypy for all it means to most people. 

We have to see that as a golden opportunity for the rebirth of the sport as an exciting, dangerous, extreme sport. We have then to hope that new fans can overcome the initial reaction as they enter the mostly dilapidated stadia and enthrall them with the yet to be developed dynamic, modern, thrill filled experience that will by then be speedway.

I say that tongue in cheek but with the right people in charge it could be done. We could start by allowing riders to react to referees and other riders as they did in the 70's and for teams to be able to say disparaging things about the opposition to build up rivalries and enthuse the fans. It was all pantomime but brought an extra element to the overall experience that is now lacking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

We have to see that as a golden opportunity for the rebirth of the sport as an exciting, dangerous, extreme sport. We have then to hope that new fans can overcome the initial reaction as they enter the mostly dilapidated stadia and enthrall them with the yet to be developed dynamic, modern, thrill filled experience that will by then be speedway.

I say that tongue in cheek but with the right people in charge it could be done. We could start by allowing riders to react to referees and other riders as they did in the 70's and for teams to be able to say disparaging things about the opposition to build up rivalries and enthuse the fans. It was all pantomime but brought an extra element to the overall experience that is now lacking.

if bikes were slowed down and tracks were prepared for racing we wouldn't need gimmicks the sport could sand on its merits

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

if bikes were slowed down and tracks were prepared for racing we wouldn't need gimmicks the sport could sand on its merits

I've always thought that ch958.

It won't happen though, particularly slowing the Bikes down.

loads of people think it, Ian, but no one has the balls to do anything about it, Colin

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 4:46 PM, ch958 said:

Everyone thinks that ....... in fact everyone knows that ........ and if the speedway ruling classes had any sence then this would be the number one item on the agender at the next and every future BSPA meeting BUT I think there is more chance of collecting rocking horse droppings than this happening. 

• Like 1

Completely disagree, the racing today is at least as good as it has been any time since I first went in about 1967.

What has changed, not just for Speedway, is the huge variety of things people have the opportunity to do with their money these days. Like Aces51 I think the only way to grow the sport is to change the way people on the outside perceive it. It is mad, bad and dangerous so the authorities should be encouraging that side of the sport to be seen by the fans not trying to rule it out.

Slowing bikes down wouldn't hurt the sport but neither is it going to bring in any new people through the gate. Preparing tracks for fair racing seems logical and personally I'm all in favour of it, however the big problem is that it is proven that a team winning at home on a 'trick' track attracts more fans than one losing on a great racing strip.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vince said:

Completely disagree, the racing today is at least as good as it has been any time since I first went in about 1967.

What has changed, not just for Speedway, is the huge variety of things people have the opportunity to do with their money these days. Like Aces51 I think the only way to grow the sport is to change the way people on the outside perceive it. It is mad, bad and dangerous so the authorities should be encouraging that side of the sport to be seen by the fans not trying to rule it out.

Slowing bikes down wouldn't hurt the sport but neither is it going to bring in any new people through the gate. Preparing tracks for fair racing seems logical and personally I'm all in favour of it, however the big problem is that it is proven that a team winning at home on a 'trick' track attracts more fans than one losing on a great racing strip.

There would be less "hurt" Riders.

4 hours ago, Vince said:

People keep saying the racing is as good as any time in the sport. Its the first week of June and apart from Belle Vue at the NSS I can't say I've seen a match on TV or live to make me want  to go again this season. 10 years ago I couldn't wait for my speedway fix every week.  

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, The White Knight said:

There would be less "hurt" Riders.

Can't see it myself, at most you are talking about the difference between falling off at 50 instead of 55mph  for arguments sake and it's not going to make any difference. IF there are more crashes these days and IF it is because of the bikes it is down to engines with light flywheels being less easy to ride in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 11:16 AM, Vince said:

Can't see it myself, at most you are talking about the difference between falling off at 50 instead of 55mph  for arguments sake and it's not going to make any difference. IF there are more crashes these days and IF it is because of the bikes it is down to engines with light flywheels being less easy to ride in my opinion.

Laydown Engines don't seem to help as regards accidents/injuries to Riders either.....

Can't see that either to be honest, if upright engines were still used they would be tuned just like the laydowns, in fact the laydowns are apparently more forgiving. I can't say I have ridden a laydown fast enough to know in all honesty but the leading link forks appear far more stable.

Edited by Vince