British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Can't see that either to be honest, if upright engines were still used they would be tuned just like the laydowns, in fact the laydowns are apparently more forgiving. I can't say I have ridden a laydown fast enough to know in all honesty but the leading link forks appear far more stable.

You may well be right Vince. I am not very technical. 'Briggo' however believes the same as myself as I read it and what he stated made sense to me.

I think it's a valid point that modern bikes are more prone to spitting riders off even if I disagree with the reasons for it being like that.

• Like 1

One way of advertising  speedway ,or any sport for free is via the sports results in local or national newspapers. Displaying the league tables shows people interested in sport that speedway exists in their area something they may not have been aware of. Our leagues are not large so wouldnt take up much space. I was talking to a fan at Redcar recently who lives in Redcar and he said people didn't know about the speedway. I don't know how one goes about publishing the results and league tables ,this should be the responsibility of the promoters to get it sorted.

16 hours ago, Thornaby48 said:

One way of advertising  speedway ,or any sport for free is via the sports results in local or national newspapers. Displaying the league tables shows people interested in sport that speedway exists in their area something they may not have been aware of. Our leagues are not large so wouldnt take up much space. I was talking to a fan at Redcar recently who lives in Redcar and he said people didn't know about the speedway. I don't know how one goes about publishing the results and league tables ,this should be the responsibility of the promoters to get it sorted.

You can't expect any newspaper to publish what you want for FREE. They may do, at their discretion, if they have space.

BSPA Press Office already make all this sort of stuff available to the local press anyway.

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

You can't expect any newspaper to publish what you want for FREE. They may do, at their discretion, if they have space.

BSPA Press Office already make all this sort of stuff available to the local press anyway.

The problem is they ( the Newspapers) don't print the information given - they used to years ago - why not these days?

There must be a reason why they stopped?

7 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

The problem is they ( the Newspapers) don't print the information given - they used to years ago - why not these days?

There must be a reason why they stopped?

Newspapers know exactly what interests people and what doesn't these days. They have detailed information of what people want to read from analytics programs attached to their websites. These programs will show how many readers click on a story and how long they stay.

Journalist numbers on newspapers have been cut severely in recent years so the staff are directed to work only on stories that get big "clicks".

If people are not "clicking" on the speedway stories, they fade away as the Press concentrates on stuff that people do want to read.

National papers sports coverage revolves around the Premier League football - well really revolves around the top half dozen clubs. That's where their resources go.

The more local Press have found they get more "clicks" from covering the nearby big football club.

It should be no surprise really that dwindling attendances at meetings are reflected in dwindling interest in the stories published by the Press. 

Downward spiral.

Sadly - I think you are right.

One can, however, live in hope.

Thankfully dont have that problem in Ipswich

Full page previews and match reports, large colour photos, weekly captains column

Regular other pieces outside matchdays even during the close season

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Thankfully dont have that problem in Ipswich

Full page previews and match reports, large colour photos, weekly captains column

Regular other pieces outside matchdays even during the close season

Of course, the other problem is that newspapers once had massive circulations. They are now a tiny fraction of what they were ten years ago. For example, the Ipswich Daily Star circulation is now 8,600 a day. The population of Ipswich is 133,000....so the pages of coverage reaches very readers.

36 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Of course, the other problem is that newspapers once had massive circulations. They are now a tiny fraction of what they were ten years ago. For example, the Ipswich Daily Star circulation is now 8,600 a day. The population of Ipswich is 133,000....so the pages of coverage reaches very readers.

All of the content is also available immediately online free of charge

Regular local radio coverage in Suffolk too for both Ipswich and Mildenhall

11 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Regular local radio coverage in Suffolk too for both Ipswich and Mildenhall

I think your information perfectly sum up the problem speedway - and any other sport other than Premiership kickball - has. 

It seems Ipswich are fortunate in getting good publicity in the Press, the Press online and local radio.

Once upon a time this would have covered a huge percentage of the local population.You would say: job done.

I'm afraid it doesn't now. Mainstream Media (MSM) has nothing like the reach it once had.

The Under 30s by and large don't read newspapers (print or online) and certainly don't listen to local radio or the type that serves Suffolk, unless it has changed greatly since I last lived there.

I have always said that the commercial press and radio have to publish and broadcast to suit their shareholders (understandably) but when it comes to local and national BBC radio and t.v. the commercial side should take a back seat and they should concentrate non mainstream stories.

Edited by Skid Sprocket

spedeworth trounce speedway, yet get very little coverage..it seems if you are interested you will find what you are looking for

On 6/1/2018 at 4:46 PM, ch958 said:

if bikes were slowed down and tracks were prepared for racing we wouldn't need gimmicks the sport could sand on its merits

Except it hasn't.