British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
james1234

Prague 2019?

I do hope so

Prague is a lovely city but there are plenty of lovely cities in Europe.   GP's should be about the racing and that was awful until very late in the meeting.    I'd rather have the GP somewhere else on a great track.  That includes if there is no alternative to a 4th Polish GP.   There is no home advantage for the Poles as its probably the opposite with crowd pressure.   Why go to Prague to see a borefest.

Edited by Mark

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

Prague is a lovely city but there are plenty of lovely cities in Europe.   GP's should be about the racing and that was awful until very late in the meeting.    I'd rather have the GP somewhere else on a great track.  That includes if there is no alternative to a 4th Polish GP.   There is no home advantage for the Poles as its probably the opposite with crowd pressure.   Why go to Prague to see a borefest.

As someone who has been to plenty of GP`s all over Europe i can`t agree with you fully. i think there has to be a mix of city tracks and "country" tracks. If you take Sweden we have lost two great cities to spend a weekend Stockholm and Gothenburg and we have now Malilla, in the middle of nowhere ( although a great racetrack usually) and now Hallstavik which i`m not sure about as a racing venue. add in Copenhagen they are all big losses in my opinion.

Stockholm is a very nice city but the GP was held too late in the season. The summer is long gone in October and so is the summer temperatures.
The ticket prices were too high and the racing was decent but not great. Not really the best way to attract a good attendance.

Hallstavik track is an ok track, quite short though (289m) and the arena itself is relatively small. Like Målilla it is also situated in the middle of nowhere
about 100 km north of Stockholm (about 90 minutes drive). It might not sound much but the roads are quite narrow.
Hallstavik is a small town that don't have much to offer. I would recommend staying in Uppsala or Stockholm and renting a car.

36 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

As someone who has been to plenty of GP`s all over Europe i can`t agree with you fully. i think there has to be a mix of city tracks and "country" tracks. If you take Sweden we have lost two great cities to spend a weekend Stockholm and Gothenburg and we have now Malilla, in the middle of nowhere ( although a great racetrack usually) and now Hallstavik which i`m not sure about as a racing venue. add in Copenhagen they are all big losses in my opinion.

Its fine to have a mix of city and country but lets have proper racing to watch. Everyone benefits from that.   Would fans rather watch a Prague, Manchester or Czestochwa GP ?   Maybe the new stadium near Katowice will provide great racing when that is used in September.

Isn't the Pardubice track more reliable to decent racing?

17 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

Stockholm is a very nice city but the GP was held too late in the season. The summer is long gone in October and so is the summer temperatures.
The ticket prices were too high and the racing was decent but not great. Not really the best way to attract a good attendance.

Hallstavik track is an ok track, quite short though (289m) and the arena itself is relatively small. Like Målilla it is also situated in the middle of nowhere
about 100 km north of Stockholm (about 90 minutes drive). It might not sound much but the roads are quite narrow.
Hallstavik is a small town that don't have much to offer. I would recommend staying in Uppsala or Stockholm and renting a car.

Having a gp in Malilla might have taken away from the attendance of the Stockholm GP, fans might not turn up for two GPs.

Hallstavik seems a strange choice to me, stadium is small, track is ok but really nothing special. I would say eskilstuna would have been a better choice. 

8 hours ago, screm said:

If this report is reliable then this year could be the last for Prague.

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/673555/koniec-z-zuzlowa-grand-prix-czech-burmistrz-nie-chce-dac-kasy

That article was suggesting 2017 would be the last and that 2018 wouldn't happen so not sure how reliable that is. It did ensure a good attendance in 2017 though

19 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

I had booked and am staying in Uppsala as have been to Stockholm a number of times. 

10 hours ago, Col said:

Isn't the Pardubice track more reliable to decent racing?

I believe the owners/promoters there have declined the chance to host a GP on more than one occasion.

I just dont get why people keep saying the racing at Prague is no good. 2015/16/17 were all very goof GPs. this year from Heat 10 on there was some dam good racing.

Lovely little stadium, brilliant city, Madness if they dont try and keep it there

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tex said:

I just dont get why people keep saying the racing at Prague is no good. 2015/16/17 were all very goof GPs. this year from Heat 10 on there was some dam good racing.

Lovely little stadium, brilliant city, Madness if they dont try and keep it there

are we looking at the same GP.