Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington cornets V Glasgow tigers SATURDAY. 2/6/2018 7 pm start .. NOT league meeting ,

Recommended Posts

I’m sure Klindt had a white/yellow helmet tonight :nono: there’s bound to be rider out there who actually wants to ride for his team 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Mr klint looking left and right to wave an opposition rider through in more than one heat is taking the p*** , but all sorts of rumours going round, understand riders need the money!!! but fans are spending well earned money to be entertained, wonder if any quotes are coming through from the promotion ? Another 3 weeks to next home meeting

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if the rumour is true about riders not being paid,then why don,t the protest and not ride.or are they not interested in racing for the comets .some thing needs sorted before they start slipping down the league  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another match lost by our underperforming 1 and 5. 

As for the fiasco with the third bend overwatering, it's no wonder we are losing fans. Which other sporting event would leave the public sitting for 20 minutes in silence without the slightest indication of what the problem was. I know they can only announce so much but anything would be better then nothing. The sport gets more unprofessional every week. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, scaniaman said:

if the rumour is true about riders not being paid,then why don,t the protest and not ride.or are they not interested in racing for the comets .some thing needs sorted before they start slipping down the league  

If they refuse to ride they'd get banned, better to ride under protest , of course that is IF these unconfirmed rumours are true 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blue Groove said:

Don't know what to make of Klindt, too inconsistent.

Has made a career out of being inconsistent, somehow! His average reflects what he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done lads. Sorry jenga got my prediction for wee Dan wrong. He was like that for us despite us having loadsa money. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cometbaz said:

Yet another match lost by our underperforming 1 and 5. 

As for the fiasco with the third bend overwatering, it's no wonder we are losing fans. Which other sporting event would leave the public sitting for 20 minutes in silence without the slightest indication of what the problem was. I know they can only announce so much but anything would be better then nothing. The sport gets more unprofessional every week. 

I agree that the fiasco of overwatering the 3rd bend and no information given was unacceptable.  We were watching the riders standing about at first bend and then a couple of them went over to 3rd bend to inspect the track and no announcement was made for 20 minutes. And why so much water was put down when in fact it was raining at the time is just plain madness. Other than that it was a good meeting with some good racing. Shame that there were not more people to see it, no wonder there are rumours of riders not getting paid, I can't see how Laura can pay them if that is the normal crowd level and that was with about 100 Glasgow fans. I fear for the future of Workington speedway, Laura has put everything into saving it but she needs more to people to come through the door or some big support from sponsorship.  We know how that feels at Glasgow, yes we are getting slagged as the millionaires but before the Faccennas took over we were concerned every season if we would be running the next. I sincerely hope the Comets can survive.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dorothy58 said:

I agree that the fiasco of overwatering the 3rd bend and no information given was unacceptable.  We were watching the riders standing about at first bend and then a couple of them went over to 3rd bend to inspect the track and no announcement was made for 20 minutes. And why so much water was put down when in fact it was raining at the time is just plain madness. Other than that it was a good meeting with some good racing. Shame that there were not more people to see it, no wonder there are rumours of riders not getting paid, I can't see how Laura can pay them if that is the normal crowd level and that was with about 100 Glasgow fans. I fear for the future of Workington speedway, Laura has put everything into saving it but she needs more to people to come through the door or some big support from sponsorship.  We know how that feels at Glasgow, yes we are getting slagged as the millionaires but before the Faccennas took over we were concerned every season if we would be running the next. I sincerely hope the Comets can survive.

Agreed,...

It truly must be a nightmare trying to run a Speedway track with the Operating Model that the Sport (over here) uses..

An Operating Model, that fundamentally by its very content, surely cannot hope to help ANY track be successful...

Yet year on year seems to be blindly followed (and agreed to) by the very people who invariably struggle by its usage... :(

I really do find it quite staggering that 'successful business people' slavishly follow an 'obviously unfit for purpose' Operating Model without making any radical changes to it to help improve their position..

Couldn't make it up sometimes could you?:blink:

 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, scaniaman said:

if the rumour is true about riders not being paid,then why don,t the protest and not ride.or are they not interested in racing for the comets .some thing needs sorted before they start slipping down the league  

this is normal in speedway though aint it 

rumours regarding getting paid on time 

also with so many away meetings and none at home then where does the money come from to pay them 

out of the owners own pocket again 

we couldn't go too long without getting paid from our day jobs could we 

I was told years ago the team captin signed a document at meetings stating all was well don't know if this is true or not but suerly that's the place to state if there not getting paid 

also theres a few riders who know how to play the game 

"were not getting paid " then a sponsor/fan slips them a little to help them out

ive seen it all before 

 

Edited by scaramanga
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the other clubs paying their dues to each other on time, ? with no home gate money coming in it's important that they get the money that's due from the away matches 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Are the other clubs paying their dues to each other on time, ? with no home gate money coming in it's important that they get the money that's due from the away matches 

The system has changed now and all clubs are now responsible for their own teams home and away wage bill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Neila said:

As for Mr klint looking left and right to wave an opposition rider through in more than one heat is taking the p*** , but all sorts of rumours going round, understand riders need the money!!! but fans are spending well earned money to be entertained, wonder if any quotes are coming through from the promotion ? Another 3 weeks to next home meeting

Agreed, 100%, I saw those also, disgraceful attitude? :nono:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, snapper said:

The system has changed now and all clubs are now responsible for their own teams home and away wage bill

Well that would explain a lot, a couple of decent size away wins and no home matches to pay for them, it's a bit of a catch 22 situation here but.... you cant keep sacrificing club performances when your so desperate for supporters to stay alive, I can fully understand it but something has to give or at least a reasonable compromise found otherwise no one will win? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst we are obviously grateful to Laura and her team for providing us with a team to watch, they really need to sharpen up on the promotion side of things. The official website is still always days behind. Just looking at it now they are 'looking forward to Lakeside tonight'. Did we ever get a full report from our victories at Peterborough and Glasgow, or are we still waiting for 'more to follow'.

I don't live in West Cumbria so don't know how last nights meeting was publicised, if at all. For me it was a big meeting due to  the fact that it gave us a great opportunity to progress in the cup, we haven't ridden at home for ages, and Glasgow would be seeking revenge for that big defeat and bringing with them  a good number of supporters. Yet if I didn't read this message board I would hardly know there was a meeting on at all save for a standard picture on the Comets website saying 'next home meeting'.

At the risk of having my head chopped off for sticking it just above the parapet, I just get the impression from our (albeit very few meetings this year) that we are all simply going through the motions so far this season, and that is not what I want to feel like when visiting DP. I want to see/hear a bit of a buzz, a bit of excitement, a bit of enthusiasm. It is a 2 way thing I know, but it has to start at the top, working its way through the riders and us, the supporters.

I hate rumours, (as most of them turn out to be complete bo****ks) but the best way to stop them is to be open and to have a constant dialogue with those who have a vested interest. This is plainly not happening at present and has manifested itself quite often in the past few days resulting in things like who was our team manager at Lakeside, why are certain riders not appearing to be giving 100%, not keeping us informed last night with what was going on with the track......I could go on.

I love my speedway and will be down at DP whenever I can this season, but others may need a bit more encouragement. Are they getting that?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy