British Speedway Forum
screm

Berwick v Newcastle 02/06/2018 @ 7pm

Very comfortable and impressive win for Berwick tonight against a Newcastle team where only Whethers, Covatti and Aarnio gave any real resistance. Summers pass on Aarnio certainly was the highlight of the night and one of the most gutsy passes seen at Berwick for many season, great stuff from both riders.

Sometimes you do wonder just who comes up with the rules these days, Ht3 tonight saw Ashley Morris fall while leading, race is stopped as Morris hadn't cleared the track. In the rerun because in the opinion of the referee Morris didn't make a good enough attempt to clear the track Nico Covatti had to go from 15m, now Morris may very well have been guilty of not clearing the track quickly enough but what did Covatti do to be punished, very little IMO.

More confusion came in Ht9, this tome Carl Wilkinson failed to make the start and was excluded from the race to be replaced by Wethers, race stopped after a tangle between Wethers and Howe in the first turn, referee decision was all four back. Mathew Wethers after receiving treatment makes his way back to the pits, two minute warning comes on and the riders come back to the tapes, this time with Carl Wilkinson back in the race in place of the replacement Wethers. 

Oh how I enjoyed that tonight (more so because of what Newcastle done to us last time). We're definitely getting stronger as weeks go on... Terrific night for Spud from number 1, especially his near wall of death manoeuvre round Tero. 

Back to joint 2nd in the league... Who knows.. A win tomorrow :lol: and we could go top! Never say never :wink: 

1 hour ago, screm said:

Very comfortable and impressive win for Berwick tonight against a Newcastle team where only Whethers, Covatti and Aarnio gave any real resistance. Summers pass on Aarnio certainly was the highlight of the night and one of the most gutsy passes seen at Berwick for many season, great stuff from both riders.

Sometimes you do wonder just who comes up with the rules these days, Ht3 tonight saw Ashley Morris fall while leading, race is stopped as Morris hadn't cleared the track. In the rerun because in the opinion of the referee Morris didn't make a good enough attempt to clear the track Nico Covatti had to go from 15m, now Morris may very well have been guilty of not clearing the track quickly enough but what did Covatti do to be punished, very little IMO.

More confusion came in Ht9, this tome Carl Wilkinson failed to make the start and was excluded from the race to be replaced by Wethers, race stopped after a tangle between Wethers and Howe in the first turn, referee decision was all four back. Mathew Wethers after receiving treatment makes his way back to the pits, two minute warning comes on and the riders come back to the tapes, this time with Carl Wilkinson back in the race in place of the replacement Wethers. 

Some excellent racing tonight, the passes by Howe, Doolan and Summers in particular were superb. Agree with you the Summers move in heat 13 as good as I have seen at Berwick in a long time. It came after a nice move by Aarnio off the second bend to pass him in the first place.

The rule which affected Covatti was brought in this season, to stop tactical moves to have races stoppped when the opposition are on a 5-1. In my opinion it is a good rule, too many times I have seen potential 5-1's overturned in a re-run. Tough on Covatti maybe, but he was well behind in the original race.

I can also sympathise with the Wilkinson / Wethers incident. Wethers was legitimately injured. I want to see four riders in a race. It was explained afterwards that is the only way a rider originally replaced could be re-stated. 

All in all some very encouraging signs for Berwick tonight. A big turnaround from the Tyne Tweed meeting. The track also looked the best it has this season as well.

8 hours ago, Bandits4eva said:

Oh how I enjoyed that tonight (more so because of what Newcastle done to us last time). We're definitely getting stronger as weeks go on... Terrific night for Spud from number 1, especially his near wall of death manoeuvre round Tero. 

Back to joint 2nd in the league... Who knows.. A win tomorrow :lol: and we could go top! Never say never :wink: 

You know what happened the last time we went to Newcastle after a good result :(.A very easy win with some good racing did not expect that scoreline thought David and maybe Jye would have got heat 15 as we were so far ahead and to protect the paid maximums of Spud and Kev.By the way good of Newcastle to give NBJ extra time.

Good strong performance from Berwick last night with everyone getting in amongst the points, shame about the 15 though, I'd liked to have seen 60 points on the board but I guess that's just getting picky.  I thought Ludo was very disappointing that's probably one of the worst performances I've seen from an opposing No1 in a long time and Ashley had a night he won't want to remember, on the positive side Tero had a great night and Nico putin a decent shift sometimes guests don't always work but The Diamonds can have no complaints about him . Tonight will be a totally different prospect though and I'd imagine Newcastle will be looking for quick revenge for that drubbing. 

another horror away showing by the diamonds

not the 1st this season and not the last …..

luckily the riders race brough a lot better than they race away

It’s funny because most Newcastle fans think things are all rosy with Lindgren because they turn up at Brough most Sunday’s and watch him stroll in and get double figures but if they actually went to any away meetings they would realise that he is ABSOLUTELY useless at most away tracks and puts 0 effort in, I know he had an ef or whatever but he’s the same every single time he comes here.

Edited by allthegearbutnaeidea
spelling and said wrong day
  • Like 3

I didn't expect us to win at Scunthorpe: I didnt expect to win last night either but I did think we would be competitive, and some of that was pretty poor. We managed six points more with what passes now for a full team (rr being endemic) than Redcar did at Brough with half a team.

I'll save the petrol money next time.

Edited by Terrace Grumbler
Still can't spell

19 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

It’s funny because most Newcastle fans think things are all rosy wot Lindgren because they turn up at Brough most Saturday’s and watch him stroll in and get double figures but if they actually went to any away meetings they would realise that he is ABSOLUTELY useless at most away tracks and puts 0 effort in, I know he had an ef or whatever but he’s the same every single time he comes here.

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking this 

3 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

It’s funny because most Newcastle fans think things are all rosy with Lindgren because they turn up at Brough most Sunday’s and watch him stroll in and get double figures but if they actually went to any away meetings they would realise that he is ABSOLUTELY useless at most away tracks and puts 0 effort in, I know he had an ef or whatever but he’s the same every single time he comes here.

In the eyes of some Newcastle fans he is immune from criticism. 1 point from him pathetic regardless of what position he rides at he’s rode generally at number 4 for us and regularly posts rubbish scores in the time he’s been with us. But it’s ok though because he passes a few people at brough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

In the eyes of some Newcastle fans he is immune from criticism. 1 point from him pathetic regardless of what position he rides at he’s rode generally at number 4 for us and regularly posts rubbish scores in the time he’s been with us. But it’s ok though because he passes a few people at brough.

On the one hand Lindgren was awful last night, but it would be unfair to judge Lindgren solely on last night as Berwick isn't one of his favourite tracks. 

9 minutes ago, screm said:

On the one hand Lindgren was awful last night, but it would be unfair to judge Lindgren solely on last night as Berwick isn't one of his favourite tracks. 

What are his favorite tracks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

Considering he used to ride there and has rode there for a number of seasons he should be doing better than a point!

1 hour ago, Arson fire said:

What are his favorite tracks?

Brough Park,Brough Park,Brough Park the list is endless

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 6:06 PM, Barbarian said:

Was thinking of going up to see this match but heavy rain here in Newcastle now and weather forecast not great and NOTHING on diamonds website 

............and THAT is nothing unusual. :sad:

• Like 1