British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Matt Ford complains about Assets

13 hours ago, OldRacer said:

The sooner the asset system is challenged and scrapped, the better. You can't restrict the employment opportunities of someone with whom you don't have a current contract. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

People have been moaning about the asset system since the 70's )and probably before that too ) ,  so don't hold your breath for it changing anytime soon 

56 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I didn't even know that Troy Batchelor was a Poole asset, but Troy is at Swindon because Swindon had to release one of their own assets. 

Poole should have signed Andersen anyway, that was their own decision.

If they had signed KK the fans would have seen it as a backward step.

Personally I like the asset system. I just think Swindon's team means more to supporters because most of them are more than just random averages.

You like the asset system or you like teams keeping the same riders every year? Because the first can prevent the second!

I suspect most speedway fans would prefer team continuity rather than equalisation that forces team changes. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OldRacer said:

The sooner the asset system is challenged and scrapped, the better. You can't restrict the employment opportunities of someone with whom you don't have a current contract. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

It is not just Poole, though, that have assets/registrations & don't/won't use them. This year, the 1 over 8average rider for team building did not help but what about at the lower end.

Can anyone post how many assets a club has to compare with others in the 2 divisions?

Perhaps if you don't use an asset for a set period, they become free agents again.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You like the asset system or you like teams keeping the same riders every year? Because the first can prevent the second!

I suspect most speedway fans would prefer team continuity rather than equalisation that forces team changes. 

How does the first prevent the second? Please explain.

I just think it means more to fans if they can think of riders as belonging to the club.

Swindon 46.74

Wolves 47.44

Belle Vue 43.98

Poole 42.54

Rye House 43.73

Somerset 41.93

Kings Lynn 38.46

Leicester 43.02

Those are the 2017 finishing averages.

For 2018, to encourage continuity and fan loyalty any team should have been allowed to keep the same riders, regardless of average, or build a new team to the fourth highest average ((Rye’s 43.73). That could have meant the top three clubs keeping the same team and the bottom five replacing a couple of riders with better ones, whether they be established Championship scorers or emerging riders (UK or foreign). If they chose emerging riders they would truly be investing in their team’s future and would get closer to and ultimately overtake the top teams.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

How does the first prevent the second? Please explain.

I just think it means more to fans if they can think of riders as belonging to the club.

Because next year Poole could “insist” on signing their asset, Troy Batchelor, and break up the Swindon team.

Depending on the terms of the deal , but  if a club doesnt want a rider the next season the the club he's on loan to has first option 

3 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Depending on the terms of the deal , but  if a club doesnt want a rider the next season the the club he's on loan to has first option 

Yes, as you can see, it can break up teams. And to make matters worse you’ll get a club like Poole, with lots of assets, some of whom have never ridden for the club, not releasing them for loan until they’ve signed their seven. Look how frustrated Hans Andersen and Chris Holder became, wanting to ride for other clubs. How can Poole truly expect Kenneth Bjerre (their asset, in whom they’ve never shown any interest) to wait for their nod every year before he can sign for a club?

27 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Because next year Poole could “insist” on signing their asset, Troy Batchelor, and break up the Swindon team.

But Batch could tell him he would not ride for Poole.

8 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, as you can see, it can break up teams. And to make matters worse you’ll get a club like Poole, with lots of assets, some of whom have never ridden for the club, not releasing them for loan until they’ve signed their seven. Look how frustrated Hans Andersen and Chris Holder became, wanting to ride for other clubs. How can Poole truly expect Kenneth Bjerre (their asset, in whom they’ve never shown any interest) to wait for their nod every year before he can sign for a club?

Other clubs have no one to blame but themselves. Sitting there doing nothing while Matt Ford cleaned up.

2 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

But Batch could tell him he would not ride for Poole.

Please please please!

• Like 1

I agree with most comments regarding assets/registration and it’s well past it’s sell by, this system has been very good to Ford both with loan fees, favours from clubs who want his riders and has played a big part in his success, the whole story smacks of envy because despite this advantage his team are not doing very well this year and are the opposite end of the league table to where he wants to be.

It’s a real shame non of his better assets want to ride for him and it’s a given that he should have kept Andersen, a fact I am told he acknowledges now.

Maybe Matt is losing his touch, not looking too good for the play offs this year but still a long way to go.

This year has shown me that sometimes you can try to be to clever when building teams going to much on averages.Go by your instinct when i think Poole could of had Kurtz,J.Holder,Andersen,Woryna, Shanes,C.Holder( ok warranted problem with Chris) and another that side looks far superior to the one now.All Matt had to do was sort his issues out with the Holder's and welcome Kacper in with one more rider makes you think.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Please please please!

I think Batch has ridden at Poole this year nearly as much as he's ridden at Swindon!!!!;):D