British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Matt Ford complains about Assets

8 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Its all right having a list of riders that you own  But they must want to ride for you They can't be forced as far as I know

You are correct sir.

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Batch has only just come in, though, at the expense of a Swindon asset who the rules prevented them from retaining.

CANNOT make riders go where they don't want to... although British speedway used to do that with the old rider control. Ole Olsen to Hull springs to mind.

6 hours ago, DSC67 said:

People have been moaning about the asset system since the 70's )and probably before that too ) ,  so don't hold your breath for it changing anytime soon 

But prior to 1995 it was legal and common across many sports.

Following the Bosman ruling, it has been made clear that such restrictions are illegal.

Clubs would still be able to retain assets year to year by offering them multi year contacts or a series of single year contacts. But shouldn't be able to retain their rights while not using them.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT make riders go where they don't want to... although British speedway used to do that with the old rider control. Ole Olsen to Hull springs to mind.

Best profit Ian Thomas ever made springs to mind!

15 minutes ago, sommelier said:

ABSOLUTELY ... 15 grand I believe. 

6 hours ago, DC2 said:

Yes, as you can see, it can break up teams. And to make matters worse you’ll get a club like Poole, with lots of assets, some of whom have never ridden for the club, not releasing them for loan until they’ve signed their seven. Look how frustrated Hans Andersen and Chris Holder became, wanting to ride for other clubs. How can Poole truly expect Kenneth Bjerre (their asset, in whom they’ve never shown any interest) to wait for their nod every year before he can sign for a club?

Poole wanted Bjerre in 2017 but he chose Belle Vue as it was closer to his home....So they certainly have shown an interest in signing him!!!

51 minutes ago, OldRacer said:

But prior to 1995 it was legal and common across many sports.

Following the Bosman ruling, it has been made clear that such restrictions are illegal.

Clubs would still be able to retain assets year to year by offering them multi year contacts or a series of single year contacts. But shouldn't be able to retain their rights while not using them.

Did I dream it, or was there a rule once upon a time, that said you couldn't sign an asset unless the rider rode for the team:unsure:

37 minutes ago, Badge said:

Did I dream it, or was there a rule once upon a time, that said you couldn't sign an asset unless the rider rode for the team:unsure:

I believe you are thinking of 'protected assets'

Some clubs were 'collecting' rider signatures without putting them in their 1-7 and then demanding a loan fee......:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Think you were allowed 1 protected asset if memory serves.

Don't clubs have to have a certain value of rider assets on their books ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Don't clubs have to have a certain value of rider assets on their books ?

I think it now forms part of the 'bond' to compete so is encouraged...

I seem to remember the 'bond' used to be a cash figure but I presume as less money is made then the cash available to stump up this money goes down as well....

Whatever the asset system actually is, I think legally it looks a bit dodgy..

'Owning' self employed workers, and then taking money off someone else to allow them to work for that third party, certainly doesn't appear something employment law would advocate I would think...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sommelier said:

Yes a huge transfer fee for a rider that never signed for them.  Mind you when you consider the cost of air fares that  Hull spent travelling around the world to try and secure O.O's  signature the profit was probably a lot less .:D.

Ole always said that he went  to the Bees because he had a gentleman's agreement with the C O  .   I 'm certain that  he never regretted his decision.  

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Yes a huge transfer fee for a rider that never signed for them.  Mind you when you consider the cost of air fares that  Hull spent travelling around the world to try and secure O.O's  signature the profit was probably a lot less .:D.

Ole always said that he went  to the Bees because he had a gentleman's agreement with the C O  .   I 'm certain that  he never regretted his decision.  

IAN, Brian Larner and Wally Mawdsley went to California. I was there. Basically told Ole that if he signed they would immediately sell him to Coventry. Already had talked Briggo into coming out of retirement for a season with Hull.

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IAN, Brian Larner and Wally Mawdsley went to California. I was there. Basically told Ole that if he signed they would immediately sell him to Coventry. Already had talked Briggo into coming out of retirement for a season with Hull.

I've been present at a couple of  talk - ins where Ole spoke of his move to Coventry. He never mentioned the fact that he actually signed for Hull, but perhaps he was just " dressing it up " a little for us.:D

Is it a big secret or does anyone know, every teams assets? Peterborough released a statement not long again naming some of the assets which they own now, isn't it about time that all teams name there assets so the paying public can get a better understand on the system?