British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Matt Ford complains about Assets

18 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT it is the promoters who don't want freedom of movement and rely on the assets system.

I'd suggest that if there was freedom of movement then costs for Promoters would increase at an even faster rate. Riders would be better off and be open to the highest bidder each year, even more so than they are now.

Who do we think those increased costs would end up being passed onto?

Edited by Reliant Robin
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ray c said:

Let's be honest the season we are having at Poole would make anyone want to pack it in :nono:

It isn't finished yet.

30 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

I'd suggest that if there was freedom of movement then costs for Promoters would increase at an even faster rate. Riders would be better off and be open to the highest bidder each year, even more so than they are now.

Who do we think those increased costs would end up being passed onto?

Or one could argue that clubs would no longer have to pay a ''loan fee'' - thereby saving money.

6 minutes ago, Perton Wolf said:

The ''asset'' system is farcical, bin it and bring the sport into the 21st century. 

Most likely also illegal according to employment law

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Perton Wolf said:

Or one could argue that clubs would no longer have to pay a ''loan fee'' - thereby saving money.

I don't think it would save them money....any saving would be spent, and some, if riders had complete freedom of movement.

I'm not saying I'm I complete agreement with the 'asset' system how it currently is, but scrapping it completely isn't the answer and would not do supporters of the Sport in UK any favours in my opinion.

I do think a Club should have to use their assets within a timeframe or lose them rather than sitting on them indefinitely.

Edited by Reliant Robin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tyke said:

Most likely also illegal according to employment law

Also encourages clubs to farm a large number of assets and then hold other clubs to ransom for them, even if they have no intent of picking them to ride for the club again.

The whole system is really bizarre. 

dont know if ive missed it somewhere,    but its strange that   c.  holder,  is the only aussie unable to get visa/ work permit

On 6/3/2018 at 11:25 AM, DC2 said:

Swindon 46.74

Wolves 47.44

Belle Vue 43.98

Poole 42.54

Rye House 43.73

Somerset 41.93

Kings Lynn 38.46

Leicester 43.02

Those are the 2017 finishing averages.

For 2018, to encourage continuity and fan loyalty any team should have been allowed to keep the same riders, regardless of average, or build a new team to the fourth highest average ((Rye’s 43.73). That could have meant the top three clubs keeping the same team and the bottom five replacing a couple of riders with better ones, whether they be established Championship scorers or emerging riders (UK or foreign). If they chose emerging riders they would truly be investing in their team’s future and would get closer to and ultimately overtake the top teams.

Sweden used to have a limit for the next year which would be the average of the top three from the previous season.

Over time the limit got higher and higher and overall made the teams more expensive.

our limit is designed to keep costs down...rightly or wrongly 

6 hours ago, capone said:

dont know if ive missed it somewhere,    but its strange that   c.  holder,  is the only aussie unable to get visa/ work permit

Thats because he's the only Aussie with personal complicating issues!!

9 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

Sweden used to have a limit for the next year which would be the average of the top three from the previous season.

Over time the limit got higher and higher and overall made the teams more expensive.

Oh, OK, thanks. Maybe it’s a non-starter, but it would be nice to see a well considered public discussion between the BSPA and fans about all issues that might improve speedway.

18 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

TROUBLE is that when you are dealing with an average rather than simply a rider those costs can quite easily go up. Plenty of riders have their worth inflated because their average fits rather than their ability.

• Like 4

Good for Matt these riders are available for any promoter to sign and keep on their books and if a club wants to loan them they can , To me it’s  good business,  same in many sports.its a risk if no one uses them but at least we have a promoter willing to invest.

• Like 2

Good for Matt these riders are available for any promoter to sign and keep on their books and if a club wants to loan them they can , To me it’s  good business,  same in many sports.its a risk if no one uses them but at least we have a promoter willing to invest.