British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Matt Ford complains about Assets

2 hours ago, Panther1997 said:

Is it a big secret or does anyone know, every teams assets? Peterborough released a statement not long again naming some of the assets which they own now, isn't it about time that all teams name there assets so the paying public can get a better understand on the system? 

To me the asset system is there to avoid paying extortionate transfer fees.

A bit like the loan system in football.

WHY would you have to pay a transfer fee for a rider who has no contract? Riders move around quite freely in Poland and Sweden once their contracts have expired.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2

is there a "mr bosman" riding in british speedway? a promoter or group of  promoters with limited assets should jointly finance one rider to go through the court process and challenge current system, would think a formality with precedent set in football

5 minutes ago, poole keith said:

is there a "mr bosman" riding in british speedway? a promoter or group of  promoters with limited assets should jointly finance one rider to go through the court process and challenge current system, would think a formality with precedent set in football

BUT it is the promoters who don't want freedom of movement and rely on the assets system.

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT it is the promoters who don't want freedom of movement and rely on the assets system.

So my guess is it is a ‘few’ that profit from the many.

53 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

thats why i said promoters with very small asset base would benefit from a change in the system, now and in the future,obviously promoters with large asset base wouldnt want change but thats only a few and it would only take one rider to challenge the system,and 2 or 3 promoters to finance his challenge

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, poole keith said:

thats why i said promoters with very small asset base would benefit from a change in the system, now and in the future,obviously promoters with large asset base wouldnt want change but thats only a few and it would only take one rider to challenge the system,and 2 or 3 promoters to finance his challenge

I think it's more a collective decision to say "move along please, nothing to see here"...

Especially given the way the asset system works in Poland and Sweden...

Especially given the way the system works in other sports (eg 'The Bosman')...

And especially given the EU free movement/restraint of trade laws...

I would suggest it is something that uses a large carpet and a brush in the hope it doesn't ever get challenged...

And who knows, maybe the system is actually integral is keeping tracks open, so therefore riders are quite happy to continue with the status quo?

After all, a closed track earns a rider no money at all, and no opportunity for future earnings either..

And do they get a signing on fee when they become 'an asset'? One that is then used to buy equipment to ride over here? (and more than likely eleswhere)! If so, maybe that would need paying back?

Murky waters though I would think should anyone actually take out a grievance under EU Employment Laws..

39 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And who knows, maybe the system is actually integral is keeping tracks open

It's a zero sum game with money going from some clubs to other clubs.  No new money comes into British speedway. Just those who have been around for a while and know the game preying on others.

If your club relies on illegal contracts to operate, you don't have a sustainable business.

Finally, any new club looking to open like Leicester are put at a further disadvantage by being forced to give money to established tracks.  Do we really need more barriers to entry in British speedway?

Edited by OldRacer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, OldRacer said:

It's a zero sum game with money going from some clubs to other clubs.  No new money comes into British speedway. Just those who have been around for a while and know the game preying on others.

If your club relies on illegal contracts to operate, you don't have a sustainable business.

Finally, any new club looking to open like Leicester are put at a further disadvantage by being forced to give money to established tracks.  Do we really need more barriers to entry in British speedway?

I remember reading in the SS earlier in the year one club quoting that they were advised to get more assets to ensure that they then had a "bond" large enough to be allowed to compete...

As you say, not exactly a 'sure footing' with which to grow your business. .

Particularly when it's built on the potential 'shifting sands' of Employment Law..

25 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

Ford is moaning because none of his assets wanna ride for him lmfao!

it isn't that they do not want to ride for him, it is that they do not want to ride in England and although he has lots of assets, those that do want to ride here he has to loan them out if other teams want them and can't keep them like they would be if we had a squad system.

12 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Haha  would take more than this to finish Matt ford. 

Let's be honest the season we are having at Poole would make anyone want to pack it in :nono: