British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway Star June 9

Coming out a day late so they can give plenty of coverage of the SON from Belle Vue.

Risky decision, in my view.

The oldies who follow speedway are creatures of habit and it will be hard to re-program them to remember to go out on Friday to get the Star instead of Thursday.

Then, sometimes you have to try the different to find success.

Good luck Speedway Star. 

The success/failure of GB in SON may help determine whether this move is a financial success.

Sounds like a very sensible decision. Plaudits to SS for being flexible.

It'll appear on my tablet a day later and there is every chance I won't even notice. But will get fresh news from them instead of stuff I've already read all about on the internet being reported a week later.

Edited by OldRacer

It might make sense to delay publication for something momentous.

Like the death of the monarch.

Or the crowning of a new World Champion.

But for THIS!

I wouldnt change my plans on breaking wind that week for SON.

• Like 2

Of course it's a sensible decision. It not only enables SS to report on the NSS meeting but also to know the finalists so that they can do a full preview of the final. Hopefully, more fans will want to buy this weeks edition to read the report and preview and also be encouraged to buy it next week for the report on the final.

The SS is excellent value for money. I've no idea how they continue to be able to produce it at the current cost in what must be very difficult market conditions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Of course it's a sensible decision. It not only enables SS to report on the NSS meeting but also to know the finalists so that they can do a full preview of the final. Hopefully, more fans will want to buy this weeks edition to read the report and preview and also be encouraged to buy it next week for the report on the final.

The SS is excellent value for money. I've no idea how they continue to be able to produce it at the current cost in what must be very difficult market conditions.

Your earnest belief that one single person will change their purchasing choices on the basis of Tuesday's meeting report is commendable.

I am myself a great admirer of Sir Alex Douglas Home.

9 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Your earnest belief that one single person will change their purchasing choices on the basis of Tuesday's meeting report is commendable.

I am myself a great admirer of Sir Alex Douglas Home.

Hopefully and earnest belief are not quite the same. Nevertheless, it's good to know that even after so many years Sir Alex still has at least one admirer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Hopefully and earnest belief are not quite the same. Nevertheless, it's good to know that even after so many years Sir Alex still has at least one admirer. 

Touche.

We ALL live in hope.

• Like 1

My hope would be that not only the SS would preview and report meticulously on the SON in the UK, but that other parts of the sports media here, might notice that it's on at all. Virtually disappeared from view, that's speedway. Those who buy the SS ( including me - but what's the current circulation? ) are already speedway fans but we desperately need the general public to notice it and take an interest in it. And maybe go to watch this curious sport at a track near them. Hope required here I think.

I am sure that if SS collapsed one day and ceased production the same moaners about it "changing one day will have no affect" will be moaning that SS was never up to date and missed opportunities.

SS is not only delivered through your door or straight to your computer, it is on sale in shops.  My local Tesco in a sleepy very large village/very small town called Helsby has SS on sale. I see people browsing the magazine section, do you not think that someone might see the mag, pick it up, browse through it, get taken by a report on a world championship meeting held just 36 hours previous and see a review of the world champ. final taking place in less then 36 hours. Maybe someone does see the SS, buys it or not, but goes on to watch the final on TV, likes it and decides to support the local track - Belle Vue, less then 30 miles away.

Yes, good move by SS

and by saying the above I just approving of the SS star move to try to stimulate interest in British/World speedway, I don't approve of the best pairs championship, much prefer a 4 man team plus reserve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I am sure that if SS collapsed one day and ceased production the same moaners about it "changing one day will have no affect" will be moaning that SS was never up to date and missed opportunities.

SS is not only delivered through your door or straight to your computer, it is on sale in shops.  My local Tesco in a sleepy very large village/very small town called Helsby has SS on sale. I see people browsing the magazine section, do you not think that someone might see the mag, pick it up, browse through it, get taken by a report on a world championship meeting held just 36 hours previous and see a review of the world champ. final taking place in less then 36 hours. Maybe someone does see the SS, buys it or not, but goes on to watch the final on TV, likes it and decides to support the local track - Belle Vue, less then 30 miles away.

Yes, good move by SS

and by saying the above I just approving of the SS star move to try to stimulate interest in British/World speedway, I don't approve of the best pairs championship, much prefer a 4 man team plus reserve.

On this occasion I was not really having a go at The Star, but at the SON.

But to answer your question about the possible liklihood of the scenario you created.
NO! I dont believe for a moment that will happen due to the delayed production.
It is pie in the sky thinking.
But yet again I admire your unbridled optimism.

Edited by Grand Central

To put it simply - if you don't try you don't succeed.  Its probably costing SS nothing, or at the worse, very little to change a date of producing a mag. So whats the harm. Just cause some people don't like the idea doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, after all its not affecting the quality of speedway - that's up to others to try to put right, but it could add to a resurgence....so why not.

• Like 2

THE prime object is not to marginally increase sales this week, although that would be nice, but to provide the best content for those loyal fans who continue to buy it on a regular basis, by whatever means. 

It is no secret that our market has shrunk massively in recent years and that track sales, given the lack of continuity of fixtures, are minute compared to 10 years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE prime object is not to marginally increase sales this week, although that would be nice, but to provide the best content for those loyal fans who continue to buy it on a regular basis, by whatever means. 

It is no secret that our market has shrunk massively in recent years and that track sales, given the lack of continuity of fixtures, are minute compared to 10 years ago. 

Excellent reason for going a day late. Just hope GB deliver on track

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

It can't help that your traditional publishing date now falls the day after all but one of the Premiership tracks have finished their fixtures for the week. 

I don't pick my copy up until the Friday anyway but usually get a extra copy at Swindon on the Thursday.My only complaint is i wish they would stick to just one picture on the front cover apart that a great value magazine.

• Like 1