British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedy bill

no team

18 minutes ago, GWC said:

It must change next season that’s for sure unless the bspa have some form of death wish for UK speedway.

Go back to the 70’s and allow one foreigner per team!

Where would Poole be then!

Unfortunately while in the EU we can't dictate like that due to free trade. What we can do is say that each team must have 3 British rider's. 

It's all in the wording.

Edited by Daniel Smith

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Not sure why this topic is on the Premiership section?  Surely its the Championship teams that should have a minimum of 3 young Brits in each team, plus a limit on the number of foreign riders?!

Just what speedway needs, another 'us and them' post :rolleyes: well done.

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

At some stage the question will be asked where and how UK speedway can continue and not go broke.

Better we ask it now than let a few (teams promoters owners) carry on as if nothing can be done and we run it the same way till it’s gone.

13 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Poole fan, what do you expect.

12 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Still a better rider than Kyle Howarth though Steve, he took him from the back at his home track Sheffield in the WC semi. Also  Auty has more of a chance than Howarth at Belle Vue of mixing it and being a spoiler in the British Final.

I once saw Andy Phillips beat Hans Nielsen. Guess he's now elevated to an all time great on that basis.

Howarth is already better than Auty has EVER been and will likely improve further in the future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GWC said:

It must change next season that’s for sure unless the bspa have some form of death wish for UK speedway.

same place they were in the 70s  when it was one swede per team,.....i seem to remember poole had about 4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GWC said:

Closed, along with most other teams.

30 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

He has a very valid point though. 

Young riders, as shown in 2014, shouldn't be jumping straight into the top flight. It is at the Championship level there should be a minimum of British riders in a team to give them a position to progress too.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Closed, along with most other teams.

It was a tongue in cheek comment and not constructive.

However there are different opinions as to where the answer lies.

Been saying for ages but what about a simple reduction in average every year for British riders? Simply a point off the finishing average. Therefore making home grown riders more attractive than imports. If a team wishes to build without them so be it but offer an incentive to use Brits rather than the current begger all.....

I have said for decades that any rider from abroad coming into Britain should keep their assessed average until they reach that standard and never go below that figure. 

Should they be ruled out of a meeting injured then that team can only cover for his real average not his assessed average. So if he comes in on a 7.00 but is averaging 4.28 then they can.only use upto 4.28 to replace him which is most likely going to be a British rider getting the rides. 

It also means next season will that track want to bring back a rider still on a 7.00 average when he is no where near that standard. Yet again more chances for home grown riders and most if not all second strings and reserves will be British 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Nail on head. I certainly wouldn't argue against reserves all being Brits.

Josh Auty's top league average is 4.68 so it's not too high. Howarth started the season on 6.64 so the two can't be compared as first division riders. I just don't think promoters feel that Auty can be relied upon to be consistent.

This year though Bagpuss he has been consistent apart from a nightmare meeting at Sheffield ( where actually he rode well great race on you tube with Charles Wright).Kerr,Howarth,Newman,Wright, have places Starke  and Worrall have had rides to Auty should get them also.He got through again to the British Final beating Lambert and others  to get there, look i am bias i have been a fan from the start and he has underachieved but all the English riders should be fixed up first.MS at Poole dreadfull ( not cheap) Klindt awful, your club as well have a rider who at this moment in time not good anough,Jeppesen  Somerset talented but needs time.English riders in the Premiership and Championship should always be fixed up that is why Steve Howse  has a great suggestion for next year.He suggested  one or two  young Brits ( i.e.) Kemp, Jenkins,Flint,Hume,Mountain, at reserve for every club  and there should be places for brits like Howarth,Auty,Kerr (etc) in the top five a great idea.It also could balance the books up a bit more for clubs the GP riders are gone now  apart from Doyle a new approach is needed.

30 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I once saw Andy Phillips beat Hans Nielsen. Guess he's now elevated to an all time great on that basis.

Howarth is already better than Auty has EVER been and will likely improve further in the future.

I don't think so also Howarth rides at a home track with a massive home advantage i don't see him averaging 6.50 in the top five at any other track.Auty has been a number 1 at Prem level ok a inconsistent one Howarth has not Auty has reached 6 British Final's Howarth 5 so they are like for like.If they had twenty rides against each other at different tracks i know who my money would be on look i like Howarth and he has progressed by going to Wolves  but that track still has a huge home advantage.

33 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I don't think so also Howarth rides at a home track with a massive home advantage i don't see him averaging 6.50 in the top five at any other track.

Autyhas been a number 1 at Prem level ok a inconsistent one Howarth has not Auty has reached 6 British Final's Howarth 5 so they are like for like. If they had twenty rides against each other at different tracks i know who my money would be on look i like Howarth and he has progressed by going to Wolves  but that track still has a huge home advantage.

Howarth averaged seven when riding at Brandon for Coventry as a teenager and while he has been a slow burner, he is progressing well and Howarth was Sheffields number one last season at Premiership level and again this year. 

As for British Finals, Auty has a number of years on Howarth so Kyle only being one short makes him slightly ahead in comparison but overall Auty has reached his level and Howarth still has room for improvement and his away scores are much improved in the top flight and I'm sure he has the chance to be part of future Team GB plans from next year unlike Auty. 

In my opinion Howarth takes it and with potential makes him a more attractive rider to have in any team. 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

In most cases I would agree but in this case there is some merit

It should be in the championship that things like Brit only reserves should start as well as min Brit quota etc

• Like 2