British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Danish GP round 3 Horsens Saturday June 30th

38 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Found that hard to watch, terrible entertainment, poor crowd, poor track, overpriced tickets, not really a lot going for it.

Yes.

The only way I was able to stick with Horsens to the end was to half-watch it on the lap top and have Uraguay-Portugal on the main TV.

I'm not a big football fan and even with an obviously-likely British winner in Denmark I really couldnt give it my full attention.
No idea what KT/NP said this time - or this year years awaful interviewer - as the sound was down.

It would be a difficult sell for BSI to make to advertisers if that is how people were to watch it.

• Like 1

Racing in 2nd half was good. Generally the case with GPS. Start of slow get better as the track settles. Crowd didn’t look that awful to me. More then last year I thought 

Guest GiveusaB

Woffy made a mockery of anybody's opinion that it was a poor track with no entertainment ???

15 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Woffy made a mockery of anybody's opinion that it was a poor track with no entertainment ???

Woffinden is riding better now than at any other time in his career, superb in the SON and the best rider last night. Keep this form up and he is going to be very difficult to beat for the World crown. Contrast that with Craig Cook who appears to be on the crest of a slump currently and sadly for him a bit out of his depth at present.

11 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Can't argue with the Woffy comment but somehow I just couldn't get into it and was glad when the final was over so I could catch up with the football.   Speedway is my first choice every time but it was tough going, thought it was due to just landing home after 2 chilled out weeks on Rhodes, reassured to know it wasn't just me.

Roll on Saturday and another fix.  Woffinden was supreme last night, I didn't think he was going to go after Lindgren once he passed Laguta, at one point Iwas even thinking he would let Laguta go to ensure Lindgren didn't progress but he reeled him in with relative ease, hope he can add another World crown and cement himself as Britain's best ever, he's knocking on that door right now. 

58 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Excellent thought out move to pass Jason Doyle in heat 14 and then the double pass on Laguta and Lindgren in heat 20.

On a track that was very inside dominant he managed to top score on 12 when he had 2 yellows and a white. Won 2 of those 3 races

When Woofy rides like that he makes it look effortless...

The pass on Doyle was sublime...

When you are that good you almost instinctively know where your opponent is putting his bike so you can put your bike in a position to pass him. He looks 'seconds' in front of the other riders in thought..

The best British rider I have seen since PC at making a hugely difficult skill in passing a rider look so effortless. (And there is no higher praise than that for me)..

Just a shame (and almost criminal), that, without any doubt potentially one of the greatest overall Speedway riders of all time, (and possibly this year the best British rider ever when it comes to WC titles), isn't being used by British Speedway to promote their domestic Leagues..

Building the Sport over here around him wouldn't be a bad idea I would suggest..

He ticks a lot of demographic boxes to encourage a younger audience given his age and image..

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

When Woofy rides like that he makes it look effortless...

The pass on Doyle was sublime...

When you are that good you almost instinctively know where your opponent is putting his bike so you can put your bike in a position to pass him. He looks 'seconds' in front of the other riders in thought..

The best British rider I have seen since PC at making a hugely difficult skill in passing a rider look so effortless. (And there is no higher praise than that for me)..

Just a shame (and almost criminal), that, without any doubt potentially one of the greatest overall Speedway riders of all time, (and possibly this year the best British rider ever when it comes to WC titles), isn't being used by British Speedway to promote their domestic Leagues..

Building the Sport over here around him wouldn't be a bad idea I would suggest..

He ticks a lot of demographic boxes to encourage a younger audience given his age and image..

I have said before that when Tai is on form - whether it is cruising at the front, or fighting his way through the field - I don't think I have seen ANYBODY looking as good on a bike.  It really does look like he is riding on rails.

As far as being used to promote British speedway, I really don't think that has been done since the days of the early 50's when speedway was visible in day-to-day advertising.  Thing is, while they can promote a rider (or riders) to push British speedway, I don't think it is the responsibility of the authorities to do that.  Okay, the World Cup is going on right now, and the country is going crazy because England actually have a chance - however minimal you may feel - of achieving something.  Having said that, the FA is not pushing Harry Kane.  Nor have you seen the governing bodies of other sports using Carl Fogarty, Ian Botham, Linford Christie etc to promote their respective sports.  The role of a governing body is to govern, although those in speedway seem to have problems simply doing that...

Steve

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

I have said before that when Tai is on form - whether it is cruising at the front, or fighting his way through the field - I don't think I have seen ANYBODY looking as good on a bike.  It really does look like he is riding on rails.

As far as being used to promote British speedway, I really don't think that has been done since the days of the early 50's when speedway was visible in day-to-day advertising.  Thing is, while they can promote a rider (or riders) to push British speedway, I don't think it is the responsibility of the authorities to do that.  Okay, the World Cup is going on right now, and the country is going crazy because England actually have a chance - however minimal you may feel - of achieving something.  Having said that, the FA is not pushing Harry Kane.  Nor have you seen the governing bodies of other sports using Carl Fogarty, Ian Botham, Linford Christie etc to promote their respective sports.  The role of a governing body is to govern, although those in speedway seem to have problems simply doing that...

Steve

Take your point Steve, but when Speedway in Britain was in its 'pomp' in the 70's, it sold itself..

The likes of PC, Jessup, Lee, Louis, Ashby, Simmons, Morton, Kennett, Davis et al were all regularly on TV doing their stuff (often for a successful England) on a Saturday afternoon, with their exploits covered by one of just three TV channels..

This meant the Leagues very much benefited by association..

The Sport in the country desperately needs an overall talisman on which they can push into the mainstream..

Tai is without a doubt the best known Speedway rider in Britain amongst non Speedway fans due to his various National TV and Radio exposure..

British Speedway needs to push him as a collective and hope his presence rubs off and increases awareness (and ultimately fans) across the board..

Would  it not be great is the Grand Prix were dropped by BSI and then we could go back to a proper world final like  they used to be .Then we could go back to Speedway racing in this country on weekend nights like they also used to be 

Edited by mickthemuppet

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Take your point Steve, but when Speedway in Britain was in its 'pomp' in the 70's, it sold itself..

The likes of PC, Jessup, Lee, Louis, Ashby, Simmons, Morton, Kennett, Davis et al were all regularly on TV doing their stuff (often for a successful England) on a Saturday afternoon, with their exploits covered by one of just three TV channels..

This meant the Leagues very much benefited by association..

The Sport in the country desperately needs an overall talisman on which they can push into the mainstream..

Tai is without a doubt the best known Speedway rider in Britain amongst non Speedway fans due to his various National TV and Radio exposure..

British Speedway needs to push him as a collective and hope his presence rubs off and increases awareness (and ultimately fans) across the board..

Thing is, speedway sold itself because of the sport as a whole, which includes the racing, the crowds and the atmosphere.  Of course, much of that was down to TV.  However, in the 1950's, speedway riders were literally household names, with Tommy Price, Jack Young, Ronnie Moore etc being used to advertise everyday products, in particular, cigarettes.  Even though PC was "well-known", many people would still hark back to Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger, and even Peter Craven from the previous decade.  Speedway was still a hugely popular spectator sport in the 70's, but the profile of individual riders was already well on the decline.

What we need now is to improve the product instead of using one superbly talented individual to highlight an incredibly sub-standard product.  I fear that, at the moment, promoting what is happening in Britain would only add a few nails to the coffin lid...

Steve

18 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

Would  it not be great is the Grand Prix were dropped by BSI and then we could go back to a proper world final like  they used to be .Then we could go back to Speedway racing in this country on weekend nights like they also used to be 

WHAT about the Polish league? And I honestly don't know any rider who would turn the clock back. Those in the SGP get a terrific kick out of it, those on the outside aspire to get in. And any rider with ambition wants to compete at the highest level.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

6 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHAT about the Polish league? And I honestly don't know any rider who would turn the clock back. Those in the SGP get a terrific kick out of it, those on the outside aspire to get in. And any rider with ambition wants to compete at the highest level.

Not just riders the GP has a good british following even overseas, in Torun especially you see plenty of Brits and even ex British riders who don’t follow british speedway anymore, the one off world final along with 13 heats is I’m afraid rose tinted glasses view, it wasn’t better than the GP or 15 heats it was just the way it was 

• Like 1

Whilst the TV are involved we will never go back to a one off World Final.

I dislike the SGP because it is relatively easy to stay in and very difficult to get in through the present qualifying sysytem

I would like to see the top 3 get an automatic place next year and  suitable qualifying rounds for everyone that wants one the year before

8 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

Whilst the TV are involved we will never go back to a one off World Final.

I dislike the SGP because it is relatively easy to stay in and very difficult to get in through the present qualifying sysytem

I would like to see the top 3 get an automatic place next year and  suitable qualifying rounds for everyone that wants one the year before

SURELY the aim is to get the best 15 riders in the world. Which is largely what is achieved.

• Like 2