British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Thornaby48

Handicap Racing

I am new to the forum and don't know if this subject has been brought up before. I have just returned in the last 3 years to speedway after a 14 year gap due to working unsociable hours.  One thing that hasn't changed whilst I have been away is the processional racing we get from time to time. Recently I visited a northern  track where  every race was won from the gate and after the 2nd bend it was a case of follow the leader, I counted no more than 3 overtakes in 15 races and the final result could have been declared after one lap of "racing" rather than the usual four. This isn't always the case of course. I feel that to bring in handicap racing would make it much more interesting and give the lower average riders a chance to make a competitive race of it for at least one lap. I suggest that  after heat 4,when all the riders have had 1 race to get the feel of the track the heat leaders are handicapped 15 meters. This wouldn't apply to heats 8, 14, and 15 where the top riders are nominated. This means the heat leaders have to win a race using their skill as well as their faster bikes to pass the slower and less able riders . Other sports have handicaps---- golf ,horse racing, American speedway ,Formula 1 racing where the fastest drivers start at the front and in fact in speedway, in 1963 the likes of Barry Briggs, Ove Fundin, and others were handicapped. Also our present system of Points Limits on teams is a form of handicap making all teams equal penalising the strong to help the weak. A lot of ideas sound good on paper but don't work in practice, but it would be interesting to see if two teams were willing  to try it out.

• Like 1

we don't now have people as dominant as those you name. Plus it was abandoned as an idea under protest from the big 5. And in those days tracks were prepared for racing, usually with a bit of dirt - much less chance of catching up and overtaking these days. I wouldn't be in favour myself

I am in favour of some kind of handicaping,more on the lines of gate positions ,,where the lowest average rider in a race would have first choice of  gates,,then the next lowest rider , next choice , and so on upwards regardless of team they were riding for,,,,Same average riders to toss a coin to decide .....gates are really important in giving a rider an advantage And the best gates might vary from track to track and riders would need to do their homework....

I agree that gate positions are important  but  it wouldn't stop the high average riders on their faster bikes  making the gate ahead of the lower ave riders and in many cases the race for position is over by the end of the second bend.

Edited by Thornaby48
expressed views in a better way

2 hours ago, waco said:

I am in favour of some kind of handicaping,more on the lines of gate positions ,,where the lowest average rider in a race would have first choice of  gates,,then the next lowest rider , next choice , and so on upwards regardless of team they were riding for,,,,Same average riders to toss a coin to decide .....gates are really important in giving a rider an advantage And the best gates might vary from track to track and riders would need to do their homework....

15 heats would take 3 hours+ with that system which makes it a no goer regardless of whether its a good idea otherwise or not.....

On 6/5/2018 at 9:13 PM, Thornaby48 said:

I am new to the forum and don't know if this subject has been brought up before. I have just returned in the last 3 years to speedway after a 14 year gap due to working unsociable hours.  One thing that hasn't changed whilst I have been away is the processional racing we get from time to time. Recently I visited a northern  track where  every race was won from the gate and after the 2nd bend it was a case of follow the leader, I counted no more than 3 overtakes in 15 races and the final result could have been declared after one lap of "racing" rather than the usual four. This isn't always the case of course. I feel that to bring in handicap racing would make it much more interesting and give the lower average riders a chance to make a competitive race of it for at least one lap. I suggest that  after heat 4,when all the riders have had 1 race to get the feel of the track the heat leaders are handicapped 15 meters. This wouldn't apply to heats 8, 14, and 15 where the top riders are nominated. This means the heat leaders have to win a race using their skill as well as their faster bikes to pass the slower and less able riders . Other sports have handicaps---- golf ,horse racing, American speedway ,Formula 1 racing where the fastest drivers start at the front and in fact in speedway, in 1963 the likes of Barry Briggs, Ove Fundin, and others were handicapped. Also our present system of Points Limits on teams is a form of handicap making all teams equal penalising the strong to help the weak. A lot of ideas sound good on paper but don't work in practice, but it would be interesting to see if two teams were willing  to try it out.

IOW have run a few handicap individual meetings with excellent entertain results (worth looking back through the historic footage page in the NL section). As ever nothing is perfect and the line up defines the quality but its certainly a nice bit of variety. Obviously it was run on an individual basis and maybe a pairs setup could be interesting, would the higher grade riders be able to protect the lower? Maybe scoring an a SON format would mix it up a little?

On 6/5/2018 at 9:13 PM, Thornaby48 said:

Only just noticed this. Agree, some kind of handicap team meetings needs to be introduced. Keep the traditional format for the league and have a cup competition with the handicap racing.

Much like cricket, where they have introduced the 20/20 & the Hundred to add to the traditional county cricket and test matches. Look at the crowds and excitement!!! Sorry, your post was a few years ago now but your suggestion still stands as a great idea to have some kind of handicap racing.

As we know Wolves have the Olympique and IOW run handicap racing and both are very entertaining and successful.

So it doesn't need trialling, just a format drawn up.

But wot do we the fans know? :rolleyes:

Handicap racing in America works well because there is a vast difference between the top and the lower ranked riders….but most crucially you need tracks

with wide bends allowing sufficient space for passing.

The quality of riders in the top 2 leagues is such handicaps would be a step too far