British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scorpions vs Panthers 15.6.18 7.30pm

some good results going the borrowers way . 

Congratulations to the Panthers on a fine victory. Scorpions tried so very hard and deserved more points, but maybe the track was done with a huge dirt bike meeting tomorrow?  Fair play to Josh, Danny and Jason who came into the pub and faced 100 or so Scorpion fans after a dissapointing defeat.. Roll on next week, hopefully we'll have a better prepared track (and decent guests as Lakeside are a bloody good side)

Until tonight, when one of the top 4/5 had an off night, the others were flying and we have coped with the injuries. Unfortunately tonight both guests were poor and R/R did not work out as it has previous weeks. Coupled with MPT and Tom Bacon both excellent, and Allen and Garrity both continually trying the outside and losing ground resulted in a home loss. Prior the long term injury problems Scunny fans were really confident of the play-offs so its pleasing we are really disappointed to have been beaten by a team, who if they can avoid injuries, will finish nearer the top than bottom. I am still confident when Scunny are at full strength we will wont lose at home and pick up points on the road.

I am sure Rob will straight on the phone tomorrow sorting out 2 guests and normal service will resumed next week, although Lakeside are a top team.

I would be on the phone to MPT if I were Rob - that is if he hasn’t already.

Good result, & an amazing performance from Tom Bacon. How Lambert had 4 rides, only our team manager knows the answer. Quite funny in clubhouse after the meeting with Garrity bleating about the lack of dirt, making it hard to ride the outside. Just learn to ride the inside, like our boys. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Flappy said:

Brilliant result. Imagine how good we could've beem with Kennett in for Perks 

Imagine how good we would have been,  had we had our 3 injured riders!....We managed quite well with 2 injured riders but 3 out is hurting us now.  Guests and r/r didn't do us any favours. The guy you need to thank is; Tom Bacon who rode like he belonged on our track! Well done for the win ( that hurt)  Maybe we'll have a fitter team when we visit Peterborough and we come away with a win.

18 hours ago, Panthers89 said:

4 very good points against a good side in Scunthorpe. 

Well done lads!

Congratulations on your win but at the moment, we are not a good side but a battling side with odds stacked against us. Injuries happen, regularly, in this sport but we are suffering more than others. We know, & so do others, that when we have a full team, others will suffer. Early in the season we were coping with losing Steve but now we are struggling with losing Stefan & Gino. When we had Stefan riding at no2 riding with & against better riders scoring 53 points from 24 rides, to me, is the rider we have missed the most. At home, using r/r has given us 11 points from 8 rides & away we used a guest in Summers who performed well. At the moment using r/r Garrity, Allen & the reserves take his rides. For our no1, our choice of guests, on paper, have not given us the scores we expected of them compared to what Stevie could have done as he started the season well for us & Belle Vue. We can see Phillips is trying, up against better riders than himself & coming back from his injuries of last year, he must be struggling with confidence as he is not getting wins & big scores in the NL either. I put it on the updates site that we needed to score 35 from our main 3, Schlein to score 10 & the meeting would be lost by the scores of the reserves. Garrity & Allen were trying all they could on the outside but could not pass with P'boro riding the right lines on a dry track. Your reserves did the business but I expected it to be Lambert & not Bacon. Your supporters were slating him last year & after a good meeting at Newcastle, they said if you get rid we'll have him. The same applies this year but we will take him as the options are limited for a 2-3 pointer as it seems most are struggling in the Championship with most riding at no6. All we can do is keep trying, keep getting behind the lads as pretty soon, when our walking wounded are back, teams will suffer the same fate as what P'boro did to us. If we need guests next week, at least there are more options with only one other meeting on Friday & Saturday.

Panthers have suffered enough injuries also so far at times to Lunna, MPT, Grondal and Kennett before he had even ridden a match, they replaced him effectively with Perks which with no disrespect to him hes not in the same scoring protential as Kennett,

Tom Bacon appears more suited to the smaller tracks and so far this season he still struggles at times with the pacy Showground track but the management obviously see something in him to suggest hes got there backing , makes no difference what fans think its the management that count. 

Edited by scoobydoo

Our management know what type of team we will have when all are back & that is why they have not made any changes. If we had made changes and when the riders are fit again they would be snapped up by others & hurt us because of their early season form. What works for one team might not work for others but Rob & Gail are keeping faith with our original 7.

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Our management know what type of team we will have when all are back & that is why they have not made any changes. If we had made changes and when the riders are fit again they would be snapped up by others & hurt us because of their early season form. What works for one team might not work for others but Rob & Gail are keeping faith with our original 7.

At what cost though 

19 minutes ago, Flappy said:

At what cost though 

At a cost of our early season form. At the start of the season, we only had 3 riders doubling up/down. Steve at Belle Vue, Jake at Somerset & Danny for Coventry in the NL.

Steve got his injury riding for us.

Stefan was asked to cover for 28 days for Poole where he received his injury.

Manzares got his injury in the SoN Race Off for the USA.

Garrity got & still has an arm injury guesting at Belle Vue.

I think Flappy meant at what cost to us for not making permanent replacements...  Up to last night, i'd say probably minimal...  Making use of the guest facility is always gonna be a gamble, sometimes it works...but last night they were pants, didn't amass anywhere near the points our lads would've scored. That said, I'm pleased we're sticking loyal to our injured riders, hopefully they'll be back before too long and we can kick on again. Short term pain for long term gain.

• Like 2

We knew it would catch up with us soon & the warning signs were there last week against Newcastle. Too much being asked of our own riders & machines when others are not up to it. Is Rob now doing too much at the track to save a few pennies as he was in the tractor last week & yesterday & Graham Trollope's name has been removed from the programme as track curator. It is just my opinion as I did not think the track was moist enough as it dried out too much & we only had 1 track grade & no watering. In the clubhouse, later, the riders said they wanted a bit more dirt.

taken from Albert's post; .........."Disappointing to lose... However the racing was again top notch and provided some great entertainment, despite the track being rather slick and dry.  The track conditions probably played into Peterboros hands a little, i'd of put plenty dirt down and plenty of water on, we know certain Peterboro riders don't like a wet ERW!... Maybe it was prepared with tomorrows big dirt bike meeting in mind? "

Don't think that the big dirt bike meeting had any bearing on the track prep for speedway as Rob was on the tractor at the end of the second half's racing.

Note.........the dirt bike staff were noisy in the clubhouse afterwards as it was difficult to hear the after meeting talk show. Then again, Roger Westby is not the best of guys using a microphone.

The racing has been excellent at the EWR but by about heat 12 the dirt has gone so wide and the dirt gets slick and dry . I think it would better to drag the dirt back a little and get some water into the track.