British Speedway Forum

A simple race card for a pound would be sufficient. Similar to what Coventry produce this season.

The programme for Speedway is an important part of the meeting not just an informative piece of journalism.

filling in the programme adds to the enjoyment of the meeting and provides a memory jerker for the owner.

iT will be a sad day if there were no programmes

• Like 2

I collect programmes (sad, I know) and have got them back to 1971. This year, I am a season ticket holder so get a free programme anyway. Promotions supply a racecard - just the centre pages of the prog - to riders; maybe it would be a good idea to offer some of these to fans to see if anyone would prefer these at less money?

21 hours ago, cyclone said:

If they reverted to producing a more compact & smaller sized version at about £1 - £1.50, I wonder if those who now print off a basic scoresheet to fill in, might be tempted to purchase a low cost Official programme instead?

Not so sure i would especially on a freezing cold night and theres loads of changes or the programmes full of typos because it hasn't been proof-read before it's sent to the printers.

I use the Speedway Programme app now amd have done for a few seasons.  It's got to be at least 5 years since I bought a programme.

21 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Quite agree. Today programmes are printed on glossy paper with coloured photos and packed with adverts.

You obviously haven't been to Scunny for a few years then. :D

18 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Kept all my programmes of meetings attended - would never dream of ditching them even though I no longer attend. Just digging them out every now and again, you end up flicking through many, ending up taking longer than expected to try to find out what you got them out in the first place for. 

Likewise!! Have a programme for every meeting I have attended since I first went in 1976.

Stored lovingly in boxes and looked at when the need for nostalga arises!!

Would be gutted if they stopped!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, *JJ said:

I collect programmes (sad, I know) and have got them back to 1971. This year, I am a season ticket holder so get a free programme anyway. Promotions supply a racecard - just the centre pages of the prog - to riders; maybe it would be a good idea to offer some of these to fans to see if anyone would prefer these at less money?

Worth £1 to me but I prefer 50p.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, brianbuck said:

I see in the press that Football League Clubs have now dispensed with the rule that all of them MUST produce match-day programmes and Exeter City have already announced that they will no longer have programmes on sale at their home matches. Other clubs are expected to follow suit, so I wonder whether Speedway Clubs might eventually take the same step.

In these times when so many supporters print their own score charts, is a programme really necessary these days?

Exeter announced last month that they were going to continue producing programmes. 

21 hours ago, Dodger Blue said:

Likewise!! Have a programme for every meeting I have attended since I first went in 1976.

Stored lovingly in boxes and looked at when the need for nostalga arises!!

Would be gutted if they stopped!!

Pulling out an old programme from your collection is like hearing that old tune on the wireless, seeing an old photograph from your prime. Can’t beat that feeling… glancing down the line-up, the blank racecard and remembering your youthful anticipation, the team line-ups, riders you’d never heard of… a blank programme as we entered the unknown for the next 90 minutes. I couldn’t get rid of my collection - 40 years of my life.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

IMO the speedway programme has become dated, a simple race card would do just as good a job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, screm said:

IMO the speedway programme has become dated, a simple race card would do just as good a job.

but deprive clubs of much needed advertising revenue

• Like 1

14 hours ago, George Dodds said:

but deprive clubs of much needed advertising revenue

Do many clubs make a net profit on programme advertising revenue ?

Or is more likely that it helps to go cover some of the high production costs and any programme 'profit' is really just from the meagre sales ?

And even then it is minimal profit; after an army of volunteers have a put in massive efforts getting all the ad's and providing the copy pretty much FOC.

Can't help thinking all those man hours could bring in more revenue that created real profit if it were not 'wasted' on quite so many 'vanity productions'.

1 hour ago, Grand Central said:

Do many clubs make a net profit on programme advertising revenue ?

Or is more likely that it helps to go cover some of the high production costs and any programme 'profit' is really just from the meagre sales ?

And even then it is minimal profit; after an army of volunteers have a put in massive efforts getting all the ad's and providing the copy pretty much FOC.

Can't help thinking all those man hours could bring in more revenue that created real profit if it were not 'wasted' on quite so many 'vanity productions'.

I doubt the advertising revenue makes a profit. I used to contribute to a local magazine which was printed on glossy paper with colour photos. There were a few more pages than your average programme, but the printing costs for about 500 issues was about £950. The charge for advertising was £25 for a quarter page (The most popular), £50 for half a page, and a full page was £100 (The least popular).  The revenue from this helped but didn't fully cover the printing costs. 

As someone who lives in Spain, football programmes are non-existent. Indeed you rarely find a football programme anywhere on the Continent. It is very much a British phenomenon! As for speedway programmes, they hail back to a bygone age.  A one-page scorecard would meet the need, given out with admission, with adverts on the reverse to pay for the printing costs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

I doubt the advertising revenue makes a profit. I used to contribute to a local magazine which was printed on glossy paper with colour photos. There were a few more pages than your average programme, but the printing costs for about 500 issues was about £950. The charge for advertising was £25 for a quarter page (The most popular), £50 for half a page, and a full page was £100 (The least popular).  The revenue from this helped but didn't fully cover the printing costs. 

Think you and Grand Central underestimate how much advertisers pay to appear in a programme but don't forget, unlike the magazine you contributed to, it's a one-off payment up front at the start of the season rather than a weekly/monthly scramble for advertising. There's also the ability to offer a programme as part of a package including banners, website ads, meeting sponsorship.

I'm sure it varies from club to club but even a small profit is better than the proposed racecards which would still have to be produced at a cost by the promotion but with no supporting advertising revenue.