British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

Think you and Grand Central underestimate how much advertisers pay to appear in a programme but don't forget, unlike the magazine you contributed to, it's a one-off payment up front at the start of the season rather than a weekly/monthly scramble for advertising. There's also the ability to offer a programme as part of a package including banners, website ads, meeting sponsorship.

I'm sure it varies from club to club but even a small profit is better than the proposed racecards which would still have to be produced at a cost by the promotion but with no supporting advertising revenue.

You could Note Mr. Snackette's final comment in his Post GD.

49 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

Think you and Grand Central underestimate how much advertisers pay to appear in a programme but don't forget, unlike the magazine you contributed to, it's a one-off payment up front at the start of the season rather than a weekly/monthly scramble for advertising. There's also the ability to offer a programme as part of a package including banners, website ads, meeting sponsorship.

I'm sure it varies from club to club but even a small profit is better than the proposed racecards which would still have to be produced at a cost by the promotion but with no supporting advertising revenue.

I admit it was quite a few years since I was involved in any programme adverts but It was 'dirt cheap' relative to other forms of advertising or so I felt at the time.
Perhaps thingss have changed considerably since then; but with dwindling 'circulation' I would have thought that to be unlikely.

13 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

I admit it was quite a few years since I was involved in any programme adverts but It was 'dirt cheap' relative to other forms of advertising or so I felt at the time.
Perhaps thingss have changed considerably since then; but with dwindling 'circulation' I would have thought that to be unlikely.

Agreed, with attendances now in their hundreds rather than thousands, and many not buying programmes or printing off their own race cards, it now does not appear good value in terms of return to place adverts in programmes. Most of our advertisers did so as a sense of loyalty to help keep the magazine going rather than any potential benefit to them. If we had raised the price for advertising along with the rise in printing costs, I'm sure their loyalty may well have been tested. 

As Mr. Snackette posted, no reason why a simple race card with accompanying adverts cannot be produced. I have many non league football programmes from the 1950/60's when this was the norm with just the team line ups and the rest local adverts.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, George Dodds said:

but deprive clubs of much needed advertising revenue

Not necessarily as race sponsorship would still be available on any race card, anyway looking through any programme how much is actual sponsorship where companies pay for their space or how much is companies who provide a service to the speedway and get free advertising space in the programme in return. Might open up new venues for sponsorship opportunities.