Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A ORLOV

Leicester - Swindon 13.06.18

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Rosco going mental at a trainee ref. Really, the word is trainee and therefore a ref that is likely to make errors. Does Rosco believe a trainee ref is not likely to make a mistake? When Rosco became a team manager was he perfect from the start?

a silly rant in the local rag.

Proves how much of a tool he is doesn't it, everyone starts somewhere don't they.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orbiter said:

Proves how much of a tool he is doesn't it, everyone starts somewhere don't they.

Not a fan of Rosco at times but if a referee doesn’t know a rule properly then he shouldn’t be doing the job.

That said guess the ref wasn’t to blame for a shocking performance by Bellego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Ok  - fair enough I think most people would agree that remodelling would be great. Give us some detail including when the work could be carried out.

 

It should be carried out as soon as the season is over... if they make it until the end of the season. They can get somebody in who knows how to design a track, look at the more recent new builds, BV, Somerset, Scunthorpe.

 

Any more questions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iainb said:

It should be carried out as soon as the season is over... if they make it until the end of the season. They can get somebody in who knows how to design a track, look at the more recent new builds, BV, Somerset, Scunthorpe.

 

Any more questions?

Yes - would you be looking at keeping within the current boundaries, or expanding them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steve0 said:

You don’t have to be an expert in track preparation to have the opinion that the track is impacting the quality of racing and crowd levels.  It is down to the promoters to serve up a surface that allows great racing, great entertainment and for crowd levels to increase!

Quite so. And it sounds as if that's fixable.

But I'm curious to know how the shape could be changed including to what extent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Yes - would you be looking at keeping within the current boundaries, or expanding them?

I  think it would probably have to be smaller... but any space left over after alteration I would look at moving the pits somewhere in the open, like in Torun for example. Give the punters something to look at during the tractor racing, instead of them being tucked away out of view like they are at the moment.

And as for the inevitable question of how it's going to be funded... they're sponsored by JCB, get them involved in some way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, iainb said:

I  think it would probably have to be smaller... but any space left over after alteration I would look at moving the pits somewhere in the open, like in Torun for example. Give the punters something to look at during the tractor racing, instead of them being tucked away out of view like they are at the moment.

And as for the inevitable question of how it's going to be funded... they're sponsored by JCB, get them involved in some way

One planning condition for the arena was that the pits should be enclosed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

One planning condition for the arena was that the pits should be enclosed.

OK, keep them enclosed, did it say they had to be hidden away around the back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, iainb said:

... and shape, there's only so much you can do to polish a turd

Whilst the shape is certainly not ideal, it isn't the only factor conducive to decent racing. It is the same shape as last year and yet the racing is nowhere near as a good.

The SWC at belle vue in 2016, the race off was one of the dullest meetings I've ever seen yet the next day the final was fantastic.

Shape was the same both days therefore it must have been the weather & subsequent preparation that made the difference in quality.

With regards to any radical reshaping, the only options would be taking the track out and doing away with either the back straight stand or taking the home straight out into the waste ground.

Either way I doubt it is affordable in the current climate (lottery win aside lol)

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem at the SWC race off was that the track was too grippy. The result was that it was virtually impossible for riders to catch the rider in front and most races were from the gate. The following night it was much slicker, which is how it is normally prepared and the racing was brilliant.  It was at the race off that Iversen set the current track record, which is about 3/4 seconds faster than usual race times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

The problem at the SWC race off was that the track was too grippy. The result was that it was virtually impossible for riders to catch the rider in front and most races were from the gate. The following night it was much slicker, which is how it is normally prepared and the racing was brilliant.  It was at the race off that Iversen set the current track record, which is about 3/4 seconds faster than usual race times.

 

Exactly, that's my point.

The surface is just as important.

One of the problems at Leicester this year is that the dirt is not being brought back down to give an even covering from inside to outside.

Edited by Elmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Elmo said:

Whilst the shape is certainly not ideal, it isn't the only factor conducive to decent racing. It is the same shape as last year and yet the racing is nowhere near as a good.

The SWC at belle vue in 2016, the race off was one of the dullest meetings I've ever seen yet the next day the final was fantastic.

Shape was the same both days therefore it must have been the weather & subsequent preparation that made the difference in quality.

With regards to any radical reshaping, the only options would be taking the track out and doing away with either the back straight stand or taking the home straight out into the waste ground.

Either way I doubt it is affordable in the current climate (lottery win aside lol)

Agreed it is the same shape as last year, it was just about tolerable last year or 2, since they've gone top league in my opinion but has nosedived this year. I'm no expert on what does or doesn't produce good racing... All I know is what I'm watching is total crap.

Don't agree they can only move the track out, it needs to be smaller if anything, I think maybe the straights are too long, and what's with the hill on bend 2?

Edited by iainb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly I have to agree with many posts the racing is going backwards which in turn adds to  poor entertainment.  Attendance was not great last night either. For me needs wider bends, you see time again riders are tight to the fence on bend 2 and 4  which in turn kills the speed. Been going since re launched after many years going to other tracks around the country and appetite  diminishing. Problem is if Hemsley still owns the stadium why would a promotor renting spend a huge sum to alter...sad really because with investment could be great little set up. Better racing win or lose would bring in crowds in my opinion. Will give it another couple of meetings if no change will be spending hard earns cash else where....here's dreaming....up the lions....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, iainb said:

And as for the inevitable question of how it's going to be funded... they're sponsored by JCB, get them involved in some way

Changing the shape of the track even inside the current boundaries would be an enormous task with drains, lights and power all having to be relocated. this would also come at a big cost. This being the case, not sure the promoters would foot the bill especially since they are only tenants and may not get a return on their money during the time they are involved with Leicester.

Much better to focus on the surface of the current track and focus on getting it back to where it was last year in terms of grip and consistency with racing lines available around both the inside and wide out.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, iainb said:

OK, keep them enclosed, did it say they had to be hidden away around the back?

It doesnt matter where you put them, you wont see whats going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy