British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

Team USA at the SoN

Interesting comment from Gino Manzares in the latest Speedway Star, about his riding for the USA Team in the Speedway of Nations Race-Off in Germany. He does not seem to be a happy chappy with Team USA anymore!  For him it was ...

..."a long journey for absolutely nothing!"

And it was not just his unfortunate crash in the race against the Slovenians that left Manzares unhappy.

Quote: "It didn't help every time coming in from races when I heard the USA Team talking about how they wished Luke Becker was in, not me. This was right in front of me, so I'm like, 'oh, great, thanks guys.'

"All I was told all night was that I wasn't using the right lines. But I was still able to gate with These guys and lead them up for a lap or two, but I just didn't have the horsepower. We asked if I could use Greg's or Luke's bikes but was told no."

"Looking back, I should not have said yes to doing the Meeting. I should have done what Ricky (Wells) did and said no. For a start, I'm out of pocket on it, 100 per Cent. We had to cover everyting (expenses) at our end so we'll see if we get anything out of it. I'm sure I won't see anything, just like all the rest of the World Cups that I've never been paid for. [...]"

Gino sounds pretty frustrated. I wonder who paid the expences for USA team manager Lance King's trip to Germany?

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 1

As I said elsewhere some of these teams could only just afford two riders,so not sure how they will cope if it compulsory 3 next year...I thought this would be the last time we see the US anyway

Not sure,but thought there was some campaign to pay expenses in the US with donations and sponsors asked for....might be mistaken though

Edited by iris123

True, I believe the Americans thought they had found a cheap solution with Greg Hancock and Luke Becker being based in Poland, and willing to ride.

Problem arose when Becker was injured and a substitute was needed.

Donators and sponsors from America never really warmed for the Speedway of Nations, no in the same way as for the Speedway World Cup. 

I just think I saw something asking for donations.Never saw any follow up as to how much was raised though.Wasn't King from a rich family like Penhall?

Gino's account is pretty damning of the US team spirit which we have always be told is great.

• Like 1

But Greg is Mr Nice Guy?

Back in Sudden Sam's heyday Gino would have been riding a Blomfeldt tuned rocket ship before you knew it and Sam sitting behind him and nursing him home :)

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Donators and sponsors from America never really warmed for the Speedway of Nations, no in the same way as for the Speedway World Cup. 

It wasn't the format, it was the timing. They couldn't sell sponsorship effectively when the format was announced so late. With a full cycle they will have a much better shot at getting sponsorship as they can actually sell a known product.

Hancocks always been a nasty piece of work off track and all smiles behind the camera. 

Sounds like a right barrel of laughs being part of team usa!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BWitcher said:

But Greg is Mr Nice Guy?

Back in Sudden Sam's heyday Gino would have been riding a Blomfeldt tuned rocket ship before you knew it and Sam sitting behind him and nursing him home :)

Only in front of Tv camera's IMO .

• Like 2

Oh no, seems all was not well in USA team, well at least all was well in other teams :)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Only in front of Tv camera's IMO .

In personal experience Sam was very supportive team player 

3 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Oh no, seems all was not well in USA team, well at least all was well in other teams :)

No bites,Silence is Golden.:D

1 minute ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

In personal experience Sam was very supportive team player 

Was talking about Hancock.

14 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

No bites,Silence is Golden.:D

I really don’t know what you mean ;)

18 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I really don’t know what you mean ;)

If you're referring to GB, all was well with those that mattered :)

Edited by BWitcher