British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

Team USA at the SoN

8 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

It would have to be made up. You can't 'twist' to get to what he said. They were definitive statements that he made.

Manzares spouted off, soon realised what a fool he'd made of himself and tried to wriggle out of it.

The interview had direct quotes from him as well, not an interpretation.

Yes, of course.

If Manzares had said "it was all entirely made up, the journalist is lying" ... then you could decide to believe him, or not.
That could be possible.

But to say "what I said was twisted" ... then that is not about believing him or not now, he must be telling fibs.
That is not possible at all.

12 hours ago, Tex said:

OK

THE guy who did the interview with Manzares was Speedway Star Editor Andrew Skeels. It was originally about Scunthorpe but when asked about the SON the comments were made. Manzares later contacted Andrew to attempt to deny what he said but when offered the chance to listen to the tape recording of the conversation backed down. A classic case of "I didn't say that" followed by "I didn't mean that."

The quotes were entirely accurate. And Manzares said he didn't need to listen to the recording.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seems to me thatManzares version (quoted) is the truth.

While Greg denied it in that beyond tedious "interview" he didn't deny any specifics. Didnt deny comments had been made about wishing Becker was in the team. Didnt say they had offered Gino bikes. Didn't give any specifics of helpful advice they have given. Didnt deny Gino was out of pocket. 

Just tried to laugh it all off in that "best buddy" routine he had going with the interviewer, who was beyond sycophantic.

Tbh I'd say Mandates is better off out of that environment. 

And FWIW a friend of mine and his son had Greg visit them when he was in NZ, and said he was a great guy. So I'd say the nice guy image is at least partly genuine, at the same time he can be an absolute tower on other occasions (this interview and the strop after being excluded for cheating to help Holder spring to mind).

* I didn't write "tower." Not sure if it was auto correct or "bad word filter".

Edited by waiheke1
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE guy who did the interview with Manzares was Speedway Star Editor Andrew Skeels. It was originally about Scunthorpe but when asked about the SON the comments were made. Manzares later contacted Andrew to attempt to deny what he said but when offered the chance to listen to the tape recording of the conversation backed down. A classic case of "I didn't say that" followed by "I didn't mean that."

The quotes were entirely accurate. And Manzares said he didn't need to listen to the recording.

Damn dictaphones... :lol::rofl::lol:

When interviewed later, Greg said "I did what I had to do" but it was a pairs event so helping out could have been forth coming. It is still available to watch again on YouTube.