British Speedway Forum
Daytripper

Lakeside Hammers v Berwick Bandits 15/6 8pm

bandits oiling their pushbike chains and tweaking those pedals  for the visit if the bicycle track crew . good win for the bandy itoes !

1 hour ago, jenga said:

bandits oiling their pushbike chains and tweaking those pedals  for the visit if the bicycle track crew . good win for the bandy itoes !

You've been spending to much time with the CornhillCowboy with that patter

• Like 1

Despite the comic ridicule of the Lakeside track it actually produces some very good racing as we have seen this year on a well prepared surface...I have spoken to many  visiting riders who tell me they enjoyed riding the   (Cycle speedway track) ,,Some have even said they love it...At least it has more than one racing line,,not like some tracks i could mention ..Looking forward to another great nights racing at the raceway with a good safe night for all the riders ....

I don't think the surface or the width of Lakeside is what makes it a marmite track for many people, but how tight riders have to turn to get round the bends. It makes tracks like Arena, Edinburgh, Wolves etc more challenging for away riders as they are more unique, and if as an away fan you see your riders struggling to get round efficiently it can cloud your judgement.

Personally I like the variety that smaller tracks provide and I've seen more good meetings than bad at Lakeside. That said I think good racing on a big, fast track will always trump good racing on a little one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I don't think the surface or the width of Lakeside is what makes it a marmite track for many people, but how tight riders have to turn to get round the bends. It makes tracks like Arena, Edinburgh, Wolves etc more challenging for away riders as they are more unique, and if as an away fan you see your riders struggling to get round efficiently it can cloud your judgement.

Personally I like the variety that smaller tracks provide and I've seen more good meetings than bad at Lakeside. That said I think good racing on a big, fast track will always trump good racing on a little one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day.

That's why it is called SPEEDway

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

That is a very fair post and IMO a very fair assessment.  I grew up watching speedway at a big track and it took me some time to adjust to Arena but as you say its in the eye of the beholder.

According to Stuart Robson, it was the most physically demanding track in what was then the Elite League, and according to Kelvin Tatum and Neil Middleditch it is a very mentally demanding track . Of  course that gives it both plusses and minuses as a spectacle but unfortunately some want to dismiss it without looking for the finer points. However to see someone like Peter Karlsson performing his famous  cut backs at Lakeside or Wolves is really a special aspect of the sport that you don't see at many tracks. 

One thing Kelvin said, is that many riders are beaten in their minds before the racing even starts. They convince themselves they cant ride certain tracks  so don't overcome the mental challenge, especially if they know they have a track the next night that gives them a big payday.

Of course there are the narrow minded armchair experts who never will get there minds round the fact that different tracks have different qualities, but personally I think we are very lucky in this country to have such a variety of tracks to enjoy. Its just a pity that most of them are in such dilapidated stadiums 

• Like 4

I think we should have a separate thread for the lakeside track it’s the same every season lol. 

If a rider aims to reach the top of his profession, he should be able to ride any track. The likes of Adams, Crump & Ward were brilliant at arena. 

• Like 4

Britain is full of journeymen speedway riders these days just doing the rounds earning a living .The youngsters coming with ambition through probably won't hang around in GB for  too long.

34 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

60-30

Don't think you will be far away with that score

bandits fans are urged to bring an egg and spoon for the race around the huge egg shaped dome  . no super glue on the spoons please .

Crap crowd tonight and it's only going to get worse, 70 mins and we have only ran 7 races, no wonder people are drifting away in numbers, injuries can't be helped but this is pathetic.

Can only agree with that marko, bad crash with Kyle and I hope he’s not going to be injured for long but it’s been a bit of a shambles.

8 minutes ago, marko said:

Crap crowd tonight and it's only going to get worse, 70 mins and we have only ran 7 races, no wonder people are drifting away in numbers, injuries can't be helped but this is pathetic.

I guess Portugal V Spain was more attractive. Going by some of Berwick's away performances over the years I'd probably agree