British Speedway Forum
Daytripper

Lakeside Hammers v Berwick Bandits 15/6 8pm

Finally glad to get home after that ordeal, same old Lakeside, unless the ref is trying to push things on, its just drags and drags, they make no effort to keep the action flowing, the tractor man insists on driving on both tractors rather than saving time and having two guys going around at the same time, and given tonight there was not exactly a load of dirt to water and grade I don't really know what they were trying to achieve, plus we have literally got the same music played each and every week, and I mean the same! enough already! play something different than R.E.M and Frankie goes to Hollywood etc. oh and interviews where we can understand what is being said would be nice.

Jon was hoping for a bumper crowd next Saturday, I think that's just gone for a burton, a lot of people were not happy, over two and half hours to run 15 races is a joke.

Like I said in the early meetings, this is a very good team but the club make no effort with the race night experience.

A little harsh there - yes, a long delay when Kyle was injured. The paramedic was with him for quite some time and no racing possible until said individual gets back in position. Gappmaier was lucky with only two exclusions - he could well have gone in Heat 4 when he failed to turn entering the first bend. As it is he did his best to inflict damage on the Lakeside riders without, apparently, doing any harm to himself.

60 points were on the card pre Kyle's injury and the remaining team members did well to accumulate 56 in the circumstances.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TonyE said:

A little harsh there - yes, a long delay when Kyle was injured. The paramedic was with him for quite some time and no racing possible until said individual gets back in position. Gappmaier was lucky with only two exclusions - he could well have gone in Heat 4 when he failed to turn entering the first bend. As it is he did his best to inflict damage on the Lakeside riders without, apparently, doing any harm to himself.

60 points were on the card pre Kyle's injury and the remaining team members did well to accumulate 56 in the circumstances.

I doubt Gappmaier was deliberately intent on injuring fellow riders, that’s a ridiculous accusation. He’s not that kind of lad.  What he is though is absolute pony on tight tracks. I witnessed this in two meetings at Newcastle recently where he could barely turn into the bends. He looked like a novice at a training session. 

To be fair , only the referee can dictate the pace of the meeting. All the team manager , pit Marshall and clerk of the course can do is make sure the riders are on notice when they are out for the next  race. Almost all the delay can be accounted for by repairs to the air fence when Lawson went under it , and more significantly waiting for the track doctor to return after treating Kyle. Those are delays that are unavoidable in this sport.

Persnally,  I can't remember the last time a Lakeside meeting over ran by this amount or anything like it . It must be at least 10 years. It's not ans if it's happening every meeting.

Yes the length of time it took to complete the meeting was very much an exception and some things are out of anyone’s control, but my other points stand.

2 minutes ago, Shadders said:

I doubt Gappmaier was deliberately intent on injuring fellow riders, that’s a ridiculous accusation. He’s not that kind of lad.  What he is though is absolute pony on tight tracks. I witnessed this in two meetings at Newcastle recently where he could barely turn into the bends. He looked like a novice at a training session. 

In fairness , I think both the incidents involving Gappmier were pure racing incidents. Emotions run high when a rider gets hurt, but as I saw it both Alfie and Dany were going hell for leather for the same piece of track, they may or may not have touched, I couldn't be sure , but Gappmier lost control and T-boned Kyle who was just ahead of them. Didn't look deliberate to me, but he have got carried away and been riding above himself.

5 hours ago, E I Addio said:

To be fair , only the referee can dictate the pace of the meeting. All the team manager , pit Marshall and clerk of the course can do is make sure the riders are on notice when they are out for the next  race. Almost all the delay can be accounted for by repairs to the air fence when Lawson went under it , and more significantly waiting for the track doctor to return after treating Kyle. Those are delays that are unavoidable in this sport.

Persnally,  I can't remember the last time a Lakeside meeting over ran by this amount or anything like it . It must be at least 10 years. It's not ans if it's happening every meeting.

Not totally unavoidable.

I was at Plymouth a few years ago when Ash Birks was seriously injured after crashing and hitting a fence stanchion. 

Racing re-commenced after the fence was fixed, Plymouth having two paramedics in attendance. 

It just seemed to be one of them meetings where everything went wrong. The bad crash with Kyle, the air fence breaking when Lawson hit it then with R/R and Kyle being withdrawn it just seemed like a rider was always having back to back rides and it felt like a delay after every race. With all the talk and jokes about the track lately I have to say the racing was poor last night with only the inside line working I remember one heat when Morris was going out wide he just went backwards. Unfortunately if you was new to the sport you wouldn’t be going back again. Some things you can’t control but their is no excuse for not setting the track up to have more than one racing line. 

Predictable enough result though Berwick did at least do 2pts better last night than the previous night at Sheffield which is something. :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Any news on Kyle?

Not yet I don’t think other than what was said last night.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Any news on Kyle?

The news last night was a suspected broken collar bone but he was taken for X-rays . From what I heard it sounds like it’s broken though.Tyrpical type of injury when a rider gets high sided in that way. He was desperately unlucky for this to come at a time he was really coming into form . He ride from last to second to join Adam for a 5-1 in his previous ride was superb.

I didn’t think Berwick were a bad side, they just couldn’t find consistency in their gating. NBJ impressed me.

This is the best Lakeside team for years, not just on the track, but off track they seem to all get on well, and this translates to the way they ride together. A lot of team riding and looking out for each other last night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, liam said:

It just seemed to be one of them meetings where everything went wrong. The bad crash with Kyle, the air fence breaking when Lawson hit it then with R/R and Kyle being withdrawn it just seemed like a rider was always having back to back rides and it felt like a delay after every race. With all the talk and jokes about the track lately I have to say the racing was poor last night with only the inside line working I remember one heat when Morris was going out wide he just went backwards. Unfortunately if you was new to the sport you wouldn’t be going back again. Some things you can’t control but their is no excuse for not setting the track up to have more than one racing line. 

I don’t think there was much going backwards to score 14 points ! He came round the outside to take the lead on bends 3&4 in heat 13, and if you notice he almost always takes the outer gate in heat 15 to give that run round the out side run in bends 1&2 which is weher a lot of his points come from.

i am very impressed with Nick. Very professional and very focussed. They all seem to be improving though, especially Adam who was in line for a full max last night if his bike hadn’t died on the line in hear 15.

38 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

The news last night was a suspected broken collar bone but he was taken for X-rays . From what I heard it sounds like it’s broken though.Tyrpical type of injury when a rider gets high sided in that way. He was desperately unlucky for this to come at a time he was really coming into form . He ride from last to second to join Adam for a 5-1 in his previous ride was superb.

I didn’t think Berwick were a bad side, they just couldn’t find consistency in their gating. NBJ impressed me.

This is the best Lakeside team for years, not just on the track, but off track they seem to all get on well, and this translates to the way they ride together. A lot of team riding and looking out for each other last night. 

Hope it is just a simple collarbone - although that would be a bit boring for Kyle! He doesnt usually do straightforward injuries!

All the best fella - be back soon :t:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

I don’t think there was much going backwards to score 14 points ! He came round the outside to take the lead on bends 3&4 in heat 13, and if you notice he almost always takes the outer gate in heat 15 to give that run round the out side run in bends 1&2 which is weher a lot of his points come from.

i am very impressed with Nick. Very professional and very focussed. They all seem to be improving though, especially Adam who was in line for a full max last night if his bike hadn’t died on the line in hear 15.

Morris is class all I was saying was in his heat when he came 2nd to NBJ he tried the outside and went backwards so switched back to the inside and got closer. Was only using that race as an example of only the inside line working.