British Speedway Forum
cyclone

Edinburgh vs Newcastle SGB Championship 15th June, 2018

Teams as per Official Edinburgh website:-

STAGGS BAR MONARCHS: Ricky Wells, Joel Andersson, Josh Pickering, Mark Riss, Erik Riss (capt.), Coty Garcia, Max Ruml.

NEWCASTLE BOILER TECHNICAL SERVICES DIAMONDS: Ludvig Lindgren (capt.), Stuart Robson, Matej Kus, Ashley Morris, Tero Aarnio, Carl Wilkinson, Matthew Wethers.

Based on results this Season, neither team will be considered as likely to be Play-Off contenders.

With Monarchs weakness at 2 - 4 apparent, most visiting sides will fancy their chances round the Dale.

Given this is one away track where Ludvig flourishes, and pairing him with Robson at no.2 should form a powerhouse opening pairing.

Also having ex-Monarchs Morris & Wethers in their side should provide good support.

Kus has had the odd race win here, but Aarnio has still to master the circuit and often misses this fixture for one reason or another.

However with Matty at no.7, no doubt Geo English will not hesitate to give him an extra couple of rides in place of Kus & Aarnio, should they be struggling.

With Ruml moving to reserve, it remains to be seen if he improves from hereon.

Of course the downside is that Pickering cannot now be given extra rides as reserve replacement.

Garcia has looked the part early on in meetings, but his "bag of nails"  bike usually slows up after a couple of rides.

Another close meeting looks on the cards.

An easy win for moanarchs. You can't expect a team like this to not have a blip or two and last week was one of the blips. Back to normal this week. 

• Haha 1

I expect us to win but don’t see Newcastle as push overs round Armadale.

6 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

An easy win for moanarchs. You can't expect a team like this to not have a blip or two and last week was one of the blips. Back to normal this week. 

I hope you will forgive me - but - I am hoping for the 'Diamonds' to possibly get something out of this Meeting. :)

apart from 1 bizarre result at Berwick …. diamonds have hardly threatened the home side 

Good result for the Diamonds, wonder why George didn't opt for Wethers in 15?

On 14 June 2018 at 8:52 AM, SharpenRake said:

Good return from Kus.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:23 PM, The White Knight said:

I hope you will forgive me - but - I am hoping for the 'Diamonds' to possibly get something out of this Meeting. :)

I am very pleased with tonight's result.

Pity one or two Riders couldn't have scored a Point or two more.

Mustn't be greedy though - one Point isn't bad.

If Lindgren, who had a decent first race, had matched his recent performances at the Dale, the Diamonds would have run out winners.

With a couple of passengers at reserves, Monarchs look fragile at home, and if their lineup remains unchanged, I would fear that a quite a few home defeats will be on the cards.

The slight positives tonight were the seven point returns of Pickering & Andersson in the main body of the home team,  but Newcastle can hardly be classified as strong opposition.

One quibble on the inconsistent interpretation of applying the 15m handicap in a re-run when a race is stopped when one side's riders are on a 5 - 1.

When Robson fell in heat 15 & failed to clear the track, the race was stopped on the second lap, with the Monarchs comfortably leading Kus on a 5 - 1.

Unfortunately for Edinburgh, the ref (Ronnie Allen?) did not put the Diamond on a 15m handicap in the re-run, which the rulebook appears to indicate should be the option used in such circumstances.

7 hours ago, cyclone said:

Unfortunately for Edinburgh, the ref (Ronnie Allen?) did not put the Diamond on a 15m handicap in the re-run, which the rulebook appears to indicate should be the option used in such circumstances.

It did not look like a deliberate lay down of the bike and Robson did get up and attempt to clear the track.

7 hours ago, cyclone said:

One quibble on the inconsistent interpretation of applying the 15m handicap in a re-run when a race is stopped when one side's riders are on a 5 - 1.

When Robson fell in heat 15 & failed to clear the track, the race was stopped on the second lap, with the Monarchs comfortably leading Kus on a 5 - 1.

Is it not if the referees deems that the rider makes no attempt to clear the track ?

Wasn't there so can't say, but good point for Newcastle and as WKD says, a point or two more from 1 or 2, or even a single point from one and we could of had more.

2 hours ago, edmon said:

It did not look like a deliberate lay down of the bike and Robson did get up and attempt to clear the track.

Edited by StevePark
Wrong quote !!

9 hours ago, cyclone said:

If Lindgren, who had a decent first race, had matched his recent performances at the Dale, the Diamonds would have run out winners.

With a couple of passengers at reserves, Monarchs look fragile at home, and if their lineup remains unchanged, I would fear that a quite a few home defeats will be on the cards.

The slight positives tonight were the seven point returns of Pickering & Andersson in the main body of the home team,  but Newcastle can hardly be classified as strong opposition.

The programme has Willie Dish as Referee, but I didn't hear if that had been changed.

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Is it not if the referees deems that the rider makes no attempt to clear the track ?

Wasn't there so can't say, but good point for Newcastle and as WKD says, a point or two more from 1 or 2, or even a single point from one and we could of had more.

The rule makes no reference to whether the rider tries to clear the track or not, though that might be part of the thinking. The point is surely that the faller's team should not get benefit from his tumble?