British Speedway Forum
Trevor

Race Nights - What do you think so far?

4 hours ago, MattK said:

Saying "no Poland" is too simplistic. There are many other FIM events held at weekends. A simple search turns up:

GP: 10 Saturdays 
GP Challenge: 2 Saturdays
SoN/SWC: 1/2 Saturday(s)
World U21: 2 Fridays, 1 Saturday, 1 Sunday
Team U21: 2 Saturdays

I make that 20 weekends disrupted by a FIM event, no taking into account practice on the night before. On top of that, you have various SEC, Euro and other events.

I'm not saying it couldn't be achieved with sensible fixture planning, but this doesn't happen at the moment with fewer weekend fixtures, so I don't have a lot of confidence clashed could be avoided if the British leagues were racing primarily at weekends.

good points but unlikely that anyone involved in gp would not also be on Polish contracts.

I think many would prefer guaranteed meetings in the UK than be part of a squad in Poland and no guarantees.

Big decisions need to be made and they will not be popular

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ch958 said:

good points but unlikely that anyone involved in gp would not also be on Polish contracts.

I think many would prefer guaranteed meetings in the UK than be part of a squad in Poland and no guarantees.

Big decisions need to be made and they will not be popular

And the deal particularly for those who ride in Poland's second div and below..

Ride maybe 16 times in Poland earning around £5k a pop. Meaning you earn £80k..

(But you may get canned after two or even one poor meeting)..

Or..

D/U (with no fixture clashes) and ride at least four times a week over here earning circa £1500 a night on average in both divisions..

Around 60 meetings will earn you £90k...

(But you must be available for every match).

Time to get radical and look after No1..

Cannot compete with Poland so why bother?

Ride on any night that brings each individual business their best income..

Enough riders would make themselves 100% available I am sure..

Maybe not all British either as I am sure plenty of Swedes, Danes, Germans, Italians, French, Aussies, Czechs, and Americans of a decent standard would be interested..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, MattK said:

Saying "no Poland" is too simplistic. There are many other FIM events held at weekends. A simple search turns up:

GP: 10 Saturdays 
GP Challenge: 2 Saturdays
SoN/SWC: 1/2 Saturday(s)
World U21: 2 Fridays, 1 Saturday, 1 Sunday
Team U21: 2 Saturdays

I make that 20 weekends disrupted by a FIM event, no taking into account practice on the night before. On top of that, you have various SEC, Euro and other events.

I'm not saying it couldn't be achieved with sensible fixture planning, but this doesn't happen at the moment with fewer weekend fixtures, so I don't have a lot of confidence clashed could be avoided if the British leagues were racing primarily at weekends.

Out of the 80 who I guessed as being probables, not many would be involved in those meetings

41 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And the deal particularly for those who ride in Poland's second div and below..

Ride maybe 16 times in Poland earning around £5k a pop. Meaning you earn £80k..

(But you may get canned after two or even one poor meeting)..

Or..

D/U (with no fixture clashes) and ride at least four times a week over here earning circa £1500 a night on average in both divisions..

Around 60 meetings will earn you £90k...

(But you must be available for every match).

Time to get radical and look after No1..

Cannot compete with Poland so why bother?

Ride on any night that brings each individual business their best income..

Enough riders would make themselves 100% available I am sure..

Maybe not all British either as I am sure plenty of Swedes, Danes, Germans, Italians, French, Aussies, Czechs, and Americans of a decent standard would be interested..

You continually talk about credibility, yet if you required commitment to Britain you end up with a Premiership where the overarching majority of riders would double down to the Championship. How is that any more credible than what is on offer today?

10 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Out of the 80 who I guessed as being probables, not many would be involved in those meetings

6 or ten each year?

The sad thing is that despite the many valid points for and against the fixed race nights raised herein and in particular how the sport could be improved no one who is in charge of speedway in the UK is listening or gives a fig and the riders tend to look after themselves.

Supporters, fans, followers, all area irrelevant, the only thing management and riders are interested in is the entrance fee paid and the income from other areas such as food, car park, programmes etc. that go towards paying over inflated wages and money spent on bikes etc. The sooner the two guilty culprits realise that funds/followers simply do not generate sufficient income to make their demands viable. Why else are so many clubs in dire financial straits and so few new potential riders of the right quality and skills coming through the ranks.

A radicle change is required but it will not happen. At the moment you have fewer meetings and lack of continuity with some clubs racing at home once every three weeks and this is another nail in the coffin. I doubt that any of the current encumbents at the BSPA are capable of pulling the preferable rabbit out of the hat and fewer clubs will be coming to the tapes in 2019.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MattK said:

You continually talk about credibility, yet if you required commitment to Britain you end up with a Premiership where the overarching majority of riders would double down to the Championship. How is that any more credible than what is on offer today?

Riders race all over Europe and the World to maximise their income so having two or three teams in Britain wouldn't look 'strange'..

That is not to say it shouldn't be the overall long term aim to have one man/one team..

The lads who ride for BV can ride for any other team in Britain who are not in their league if they so wish for me..

30 matches at £1500 a night simply won't be enough to justify the cost of racing for many so D/U will unfortunately be necessary (maybe until 30 matches pays £3000 a night?)...

There can still be clear demarcation between Leagues though,  eg a No1 in the 2nd tier shouldn't also be a No1 in the top tier. And team strengths can facilitate that..

Bottom line is that there isn't enough riders of the right calibre to run so many teams without DU at present, but that should be the overall aim...

A short term fix to improve the long term situation is just something we may need to accept..

• Like 1

Best solution I've come across is two equal standard "conferences" of 9 or 10 teams each and they can run their home race nights so as not to clash spread from Thursday to Monday. Doubling up should be plentiful and unconflicting! The two conference winners (however arrived at) meet in a grand final.

Would probably mean no Bewley and Lambert for example as they would likely take the "Poland" option along with 20+ others currently in the PL.

But better collaboration between UK and Denmark would be desriable in the best interests of both in terms of rider opportunities and development. Helped of course by UK not using Wednesdays!!

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 7:42 PM, MattK said:

You keep saying the sports not credible because rider's ride in the Premiership and Championship.

How is it different from riding all over Europe??

If British Speedway can get the race night's right doubling up/down doesn't discredit the sport at all. There's no rivalry between clubs in each league. Every club and fans have their rider's to support etc.

To make a living, at the very least, British rider's should be allowed to race in both the Premiership and Championship. 

Sweden has doubling up/down without it being discredited by fans, it should be no different here apart from the BSPA/SCB getting it all wrong.

• Like 2