British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Somerset v Poole Prem A. 20/6/18

1 hour ago, Orbiter said:

Well what a load of guff poole are

Very politely put not sure I could be so reserved.

Photo's from Last Night

Somerset v Poole

Slideshow

Somerset v Poole Slideshow

Result would have been more but for Allen's puncture and hitting the hole on turn 3 (think he may have run over a black cat on the way to the OTA)

Edited by idh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Midsummer brought a determined Poole side eager to make up for their KO cup thrashing by the Rebels earlier in the season. With former riders a plenty, a close match was in the offing. 

A big crowd listened intently to Garry May’s explanation to the incident involving Charles Wright before the meeting got underway. It was fair to say he received a reasonable ovation afterwards. 

The Meeting burst into life in heat 6 when BWD held off both Szczepaniak and the sluggish looking Brady Kurtz to regain a slender lead for the Rebels. Jake Allen looking fast and furious on what used to be the “Charles Wright racing line” suddenly came to an abrupt halt with a rear tyre puncture whilst second, before some gutsy riding from the impressive Kacper Woryna brought the Pirates back into the match. Woryna’s 5 points in the previous match here paled into insignificance as he simply attacked the track like he knew it inside out. His victory over Jason Doyle was won fair and square much to the delight of the Pirates large following  

Jack Holder was once again in magnificent form and looks the real deal at the moment. To think in the last few seasons he has looked ordinary at best around the OTA, but he appears to have sewn the circuit up completely now. Doyle joined his Aussie colleague up front with an exquisite inside pass on both Kurtz and an equally sluggish Josh Grajczonek in heat 13; and this particular partnership is giving Somerset some heavy artillery in the latter races now. 

Allen continued with his wretched luck hitting a huge rut which suddenly appeared on the third bend, before he crashed heavily to the ground  he was narrowly and skilfully avoided by the following Linus Sundstrom and Kurtz, saving Allen from certain injury  

Sundstrom, along with his two Polish team mates kept the Pirates in contention, but in essence, Poole huffed and puffed and were fortunate to steal a point  

A word also for debutant Nico Covatti who was in the mix throughout. His spectacular all action style will soon make him a fans favourite I am sure. Covatti himself did provide a moment of amusement in the bar during the rider of the night presentation. Whilst Jason Doyle was taking Q and A from a packed clubhouse, meeting announcer Rod Cork not recognising the new signing, mistakenly approached the Argentinian born racer and asked him if he had a question for the Somerset skipper. Covatti, looking quite surprised, looked up and asked the world champion, “How did I do?”  bringing much hilarity from the Somerset faithful. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I think every team would take a point for every away meeting

Precisely! B)

12 hours ago, Taylorj said:

Well tha proved a fantastic move signing Vissing :rofl: A bit of karma there for Charles :D

Hardly 'karma' when he's lost his job through being a berk and then not being a big enough man to apologise. Pretty sure that Vissing & Covatti will prove their worth going forward, and while it's a shame to see a British rider lose his spot it seems he brought it on himself.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ghosty said:

ALWAYS good racing @ the Oak Tree, I would expect the score to be 50ish to 40ish in Somersets favour with Jason Doyle putting on a Stirling performance in front of  Mark Webber!

Nice to be smug with my perdition of the result, 48 to 42 not that far away!

Biggest factor in last nights result for me was Richard Lawson getting stuck-in & passing the pirates, I've not seen the son of god ride like that before @ the Oaktree... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Nice to be smug with my perdition of the result, 48 to 42 not that far away!

Biggest factor in last nights result for me was Richard Lawson getting stuck-in & passing the pirates, I've not seen the son of god ride like that before @ the Oaktree... 

A few of us commented on Lawson last night too. Much more aggressive and like you say really getting stuck in. Much more like the rider of the year last year that was - Great to see.

A word for Nico Covatti too... Looked poor in his first ride but came to life afterwards and was all set for his second win in heat 14 when the red lights came on.

On 6/18/2018 at 3:08 PM, Aroundtheboards said:

I am a Speedway supporter and I like to see things done with common sense. May is no big shakes as team manager he was not a lot better as a rider. A stern talking to would have sufficed. Instead he has shot him self in the foot.

I cant remember seeing Garry May ride, but as a manager hes won:

Premier League Champions - 2013, 2016

Premier League KO Cup Winners - 2013, 2015

Premier League Cup Winners - 2012, 2016

Premier Shield Winners - 2014, 2016

Premier League Fours Champions -  2014

Premier League Pairs Champions - 2013, 2016

And Sam Masters won the PLRC whilst Garry was manager.

Im sure there are plenty of teams that would love their manager to be as fruitful.

• Like 5

You have to have strong and successful management at any club to make the difficult decisions. :t:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

You have to have strong and successful management at any club to make the difficult decisions. :t:

I guess that’s the problem with Poole then!

Idiots can and do make difficult decisions. Unfortunately, they usually get it wrong. The trick is in making the right difficult decisions. :D

It appears Poole had 2 managers in the pits at Somerset on Wednesday, so who was making the decisions and calling the shots. Was it the TM or, the Promoter!!! Clearly a breakdown in Job Descriptions/Responsibilities which I guess are clearly defined in some sort of Operations Manual/Document...

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, Pirate Nick said:

I cant remember seeing Garry May ride, but as a manager hes won:

Premier League Champions - 2013, 2016

Premier League KO Cup Winners - 2013, 2015

Premier League Cup Winners - 2012, 2016

Premier Shield Winners - 2014, 2016

Premier League Fours Champions -  2014

Premier League Pairs Champions - 2013, 2016

And Sam Masters won the PLRC whilst Garry was manager.

Im sure there are plenty of teams that would love their manager to be as fruitful.

A bit like his riding career as for longevity !!!  Fair enough, his riding career wasn't so fruitful but of course the teams around him weren't that good, unlike the teams he had at Somerset.

36 minutes ago, Aroundtheboards said:

A bit like his riding career as for longevity !!!  Fair enough, his riding career wasn't so fruitful but of course the teams around him weren't that good, unlike the teams he had at Somerset.

Teams, which he is personally responsible for building!

• Like 4