British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Somerset v Poole Prem A. 20/6/18

The situation with Somerset has come about for a number of reasons and the home meeting against Wolverhampton was unfortunately, the nail in the coffin.

Most people will be aware on the night that there was a problem with the starting tapes being uneven at the start of the meeting. In my first race, I was off gate 4 and there wasn’t enough dirt on the track for me to make a comfortable pass and I came last. 

I was told by Garry I would be taken out of my next ride and replaced by Doyle, at this point we were running a 6 point deficit and I felt it was unfair to remove me from my race when I knew I could go out and win it. I told Garry in no uncertain terms that I wasn’t happy with his decision and we had a heated exchange of words in the pits. 

I’ve had one off meeting (at Swindon) and the repercussions of that has been the threat of the sack, for a month. I shouldn’t have to feel apprehensive about turning up to a meeting knowing it might be my last. Part of my reasoning for disagreeing with Garry is not only the way I have been treated but also how other team mates have and it wouldn’t be healthy for me to continue in the same way. I am not happy about being made out to be a disruptive person, with a bad attitude or a perpetrator of negative team spirit. The Somerset press release is completely inaccurate but that’s the only way they can lay the blame on me. I won’t criticise anyone’s character in the same way, I am better than that. 

I turn up to the track with immaculate bikes and a positive mental attitude, I don’t go out there to score poorly and anyone who knows me will know I give 100% both on and off the track. My scores this season reflect that effort, both for Somerset and for Sheffield. 

I attempted to make amends with Garry, to be the bigger person. But really, there is no going back from what has happened and subsequently was sacked by text message while racing in Poland. 

There has been a complete lack of respect and I for one, do not feel the criticism and defamation of character I have received is warranted. 

I have been exceptionally loyal to Somerset and have enjoyed my time there over these past 6 years but unfortunately, loyalty and respect are both qualities that have been lost. 

I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who made my time at Somerset as great as it was, and to the fans for getting behind me meeting after meeting. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t saddened by the situation but everything happens for a reason and I hope this outcome will bring bigger and better things for me. 

It’s water under the bridge, I’m not going to dwell on it. I just want to get on my bike, stick it in the dirt and ride the boards. 

Charles

There are times when you can be upset about being replaced, but when the manager replaces you with the world champion, that's just good tactics.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

No Nicolai Klindt for Poole.....He’s riding in Denmark for Holsted.

Does that mean R/R or NL guest?

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Unless anybody knows exactly what Wright did or said then how can they say that the club have done the wrong thing? As good as he has been on track there is always a line which an employee / contractor cannot cross and IF he has done that people can't complain.

100% agree, mate.      You can't spout off at an employer and expect to keep your job.        

Onlookers will always believe what they want to, but if they weren't there when it happened they should shut up and move on.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Uluru said:

100% agree, mate.      You can't spout off at an employer and expect to keep your job.        

Onlookers will always believe what they want to, but if they weren't there when it happened they should shut up and move on.

Jack Holder did last year, well until the off season anyways!

I think if you are being replaced by the World Champion as a tac sub you just have to suck it up. However being sacked by text is pretty poor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The situation with Somerset has come about for a number of reasons and the home meeting against Wolverhampton was unfortunately, the nail in the coffin.

Most people will be aware on the night that there was a problem with the starting tapes being uneven at the start of the meeting. In my first race, I was off gate 4 and there wasn’t enough dirt on the track for me to make a comfortable pass and I came last. 

I was told by Garry I would be taken out of my next ride and replaced by Doyle, at this point we were running a 6 point deficit and I felt it was unfair to remove me from my race when I knew I could go out and win it. I told Garry in no uncertain terms that I wasn’t happy with his decision and we had a heated exchange of words in the pits. 

I’ve had one off meeting (at Swindon) and the repercussions of that has been the threat of the sack, for a month. I shouldn’t have to feel apprehensive about turning up to a meeting knowing it might be my last. Part of my reasoning for disagreeing with Garry is not only the way I have been treated but also how other team mates have and it wouldn’t be healthy for me to continue in the same way. I am not happy about being made out to be a disruptive person, with a bad attitude or a perpetrator of negative team spirit. The Somerset press release is completely inaccurate but that’s the only way they can lay the blame on me. I won’t criticise anyone’s character in the same way, I am better than that. 

I turn up to the track with immaculate bikes and a positive mental attitude, I don’t go out there to score poorly and anyone who knows me will know I give 100% both on and off the track. My scores this season reflect that effort, both for Somerset and for Sheffield. 

I attempted to make amends with Garry, to be the bigger person. But really, there is no going back from what has happened and subsequently was sacked by text message while racing in Poland. 

There has been a complete lack of respect and I for one, do not feel the criticism and defamation of character I have received is warranted. 

I have been exceptionally loyal to Somerset and have enjoyed my time there over these past 6 years but unfortunately, loyalty and respect are both qualities that have been lost. 

I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who made my time at Somerset as great as it was, and to the fans for getting behind me meeting after meeting. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t saddened by the situation but everything happens for a reason and I hope this outcome will bring bigger and better things for me. 

It’s water under the bridge, I’m not going to dwell on it. I just want to get on my bike, stick it in the dirt and ride the boards. 

Charles

Thanks SS :t:

51 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Jack Holder did last year, well until the off season anyways!

So you say for the 162nd time.... not that you're bitter that he is now riding as a heat leader :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I think if you are being replaced by the World Champion as a tac sub you just have to suck it up. However being sacked by text is pretty poor.

I would have to agree with that Baggy. I don't know the whole story and most will never know, but the tac sub thing was fair enough. I get Charles thought he could win his next race, but many do tbh. 

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

So you say for the 162nd time.... not that you're bitter that he is now riding as a heat leader :rolleyes:

Ha ha! Brilliant. I will always bring up the truth as long as it's relevant and it was to the post I quoted it was. Pretty ironic people complaining about CW talking to people a certain way when Jack was way worse and I doubt he has changed much, I guess Somerset pander to some riders (to an extent). Yes I am gutted he isn't at Poole, NOT! :blink: :rofl:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I would have to agree with that Baggy. I don't know the whole story and most will never know, but the tac sub thing was fair enough. I get Charles thought he could win his next race, but many do tbh. 

What about the bit about having one bad meeting and being threatened with the sack for the next month! I think the Somerset management need to go on some team building exercises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

What about the bit about having one bad meeting and being threatened with the sack for the next month! I think the Somerset management need to go on some team building exercises.

As I said I think the tac sub thing was fair enough. It can and does happen all the time. I was agreeing with that part. If the threat of the sack bit was true,  then, yes that's 1-1... And it might of had some reason for Charles to over react to the tac sub. Who knows.

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Ha ha! Brilliant. I will always bring up the truth as long as it's relevant and it was to the post I quoted it was. Pretty ironic people complaining about CW talking to people a certain way when Jack was way worse and I doubt he has changed much, I guess Somerset pander to some riders (to an extent). Yes I am gutted he isn't at Poole, NOT! :blink: :rofl:

Jack has knuckled down and gets on with his job. Very easy to work with.

Must be happier this year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

You worry about Poole, Somerset seem quite happy with Garry May.

• Like 2